x
Beta Member

App crashes when trying to split an open ticket on occasion. Happened today for the second time.

One of my waitress's tried splitting an open ticket today and every time it would close the square app. She tried it on 3 different  devices with no luck. Any idea's on what might be causing this? It's the second time in a couple weeks it's happened.

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
Square

Hmm, that's strange @Mlwhiddon.

My first suggestion would be to reinstall the app and restart your device, if you haven't already. Generally, reinstalling the app will address small crashes like this, and ensures you have the latest version of the app.

Start there, along with the other app troubleshooting tips in our Support Center.

Let me know if it continues!

Message 2 of 26
Beta Member

I have not re-installed the app as it was tried on 3 different devices, one of which was installed a couple days prior (beta version). It hasn't happened since but will let you know if it happens again & I'll take better notes. The only thing in common that I can recall is that they both had several items (probably 12 or better) where as our typical sale probably has less than 8.

Message 3 of 26

When we go to "split ticket" it kicks us out of Square about 20% of the time. The other 80% it works just fine. We have called support many times, they always ask for a screen show, but since it kicks us out the screen shot is just my home page with my app icons😕 Anyone else have this issue? Any fix for it?

Message 4 of 26
Square

Hi @Thegreygoose, I moved your other post here so I can keep track of the issue in one spot! Are you still seeing this crash after reinstalling/restarting devices?

@FKoelfgen, is the issue ongoing for you as well, or were there any steps you took to address it? 

I agree a screenshot wouldn't be practical in this case, but can you get a video of the issue by chance? I haven't been able to recreate the crash in testing so seeing the steps taken would help our engineering team investigate. 

Thanks!

Message 5 of 26
Beta Member

By Chance it happened again today so I left it on the app & did a video I'll email to you

Message 6 of 26
Beta Member

Here it is

Message 7 of 26
Square

Ah, that's perfect @FKoelfgen. (Not the crashing, but the video!) 

I'll share it with our Point of Sale team and will let you know when I have more info. Thanks again for your help. 

Message 8 of 26
Beta Member

Happened again yesterday, Had 24 items on the order, Last time had 16 items. So I tested with 30 items & worked fine. ??

Message 9 of 26

Happens to we multiple times per week. Most reciently Easter Sunday😕 Hope this can be figured out soon.

Message 10 of 26

Hey @FKoelfgen and @Thegreygoose

We've flagged this issue to our engineers. They are tracking the crashes to determine the root of the issue. Although we haven't found a solution yet, we have not forgotten about you! 

Please hang in there while we work to get this fixed. 🤞 

Message 11 of 26
Beta Member

I think I figured out my issue. It seems to only happen when using a variable priced Kids buffet item/SKU. So i rebuilt the item & seems to be splitting ok in my tests. However in testing other variable items I didn't have any issues. The only thing I can think is that maybe I built this item prior to changes square may have made with inventory etc.

Message 12 of 26
Beta Member

This last weekend we had new issues with ticket Splitting where it wasn't saving the same as we were designating SEE VIDEO.

So i tried to replicate the problem after rebuilding our buffet item & hopefully that also corrected this problem. I'll let you know if it happens again.

Message 13 of 26
Beta Member

The split ticket issue happened again today, For us there's always a kiddie buffet (variable Priced item) on the ticket. The other issue in my last video hasn't happened again// May have had something to do with merging & splitting several times?

Message 14 of 26
Alumni

Hey @pdforbasso @Thegreygoose and @FKoelfgen! Sorry for the delay in response. I will check in with our team to see if there are any updates on this issue.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 15 of 26
Alumni

@pdforbasso @Thegreygoose @FKoelfgen - Circling back here. Have all of you double checked that the operating system of your tablet as well as the app have been updated to its most recent version?

Puka - She/They
Message 16 of 26

Yes, I think I mentioned that in the post but yes, everything is up to date , re-installed app, etc.  Can't your team replicate this problem ?

Message 17 of 26
Alumni

@pdforbasso Got it. Let's have you reach out to our Support team directly so that they can make sure everything on the back end checks out. If nothing else, they'll be able to escalate your issue to our engineers for you.

Puka - She/They
Message 18 of 26

This "split check" is still a HUGE problem for me😡 I'm voiding/reringing sevral hundred dollars worth of checks that won't split. My guests and staff are exreemly frustrated by the situation. I have in installed and re installed the app as directed, to no avail. Can someone take a look at my back end programming to see if we have set something up wrong??

Message 19 of 26

We have a similar issue:  when we check-out a customer and they want to split the ticket we can't remove the ipad or the chip reader from the stand or the transaction cancels out.  Square support recommended stop/restart, logout/login, enable permissions, and re-install app.  All were done to no avail.  We lose mobility when this happens which forces customers to have to come to the register to sign their bill.

Message 20 of 26
Beta Member

So it's been over a year & were still having problems with the split ticket feature. It doesn't appear to be blowing us out of the app completely like i show in my first video, now it splits but jumbo's up the items like I show in my second video. Happened last Sunday and the week before. Has anyone out there figured out how to correct this?

Message 21 of 26