Explorer

Header Editor

I hate the new header editor. The old system pretty much automatically cropped my images to fit. Now I have to fiddle with the crop system because most of my images show up so huge that only a corner of what I want to show appears. Not loving the changes weebly...... Smiley Sad

16 REPLIES
Employee Moderator

Re: Header Editor

Thanks for bearing with us through the changes, NOLR. It's definitely something that takes some getting used to.

Removing the older, Flash-based tool became more urgent when browsers started to phase Flash out of the browsing experience entirely. After all, without Flash, the old tool wouldn't work at all.

The change gave us a chance to modernize, though, and we definitely aren't done with it just yet. Our team here will be making sure we get exactly what you need to make images awesome again. In the meantime, though, definitely let us know what's worked and what hasn't for you. The more we know, the more we can do.

Tourist

'Modernize"?? Please don't insult our intelligence. It's obvious that the new editor has taken away so many fantastic features. It doesn't even come REMOTELY close to allowing the flexibility you once had. You HAVE to find a much better alternative.
Explorer

Why is it that the image shown in the editor not at all the image that shows up on the page? It would be perfect if it was but it is just giving me the top left hand corner of the original image. I have tried cropping it but it still only shows a portion of the picture and it is not at all centered.
Explorer

Agree the above. I though can probably handle the new Header, but do NOT like how to work it at all.
Also want all the fonts to be able to use not just 3 of the existing ones.
So sad weebly changed this, so sad... Smiley Sad
Highlighted
Scholar

I already reported the problem to the support: The new header tool causes a white bar on the right side of the header image (in my theme). Ridiculously this white bar gets even wider every time the image is saved. 

In general there is nothing about the new tool that I like. Just four (4!!!) font types are remaining. The text does not appear as sharp as before. No additional image layers are possible any more. etc. For me this is a massive step down from a previously good system. Though I understand the technical reason for a new editor, it is hard to understand that this new tool is so enourmously worse compared to the predecessor ... 

Scholar

The current situation is untenable and impossible to understand why Weebly would allow such an inferior and time consuming editor to be their only option.

I have no idea what they are talking about with fewer browsers supporting Flash. This is not my experience and everything worked just fine until I went to change an existing slide which is now impossible.

Maybe it's just an Apple thing but for most folks Flash is just fine and if it must be changed Weebly should make sure their implementation matches at least the Flash version.

Weebly's business is built on ease of use. Weebly is no longer easy to use.

At the very least offer either editors.

Scholar

I completely agree, the new header editor is horrendous. I used to be able to use oversized images and center them within the visible area so that just the portion of the image I wanted to show would be visible. Now, everything has to be the exact size, I can't move the image around to get just what I want to show. I can't even do a basic header that has a background color or color gradiant with text on it. It now HAS to be an image, and it HAS to be an exact size. Anybody know what that size is?? That would certainly be helpful!

I want something that works, I DO NOT want to have to learn to use things like PhotoShop just to be able to put an image in my header. As of right now, not realizing this, I've replaced my current header image with something that doesn't fit, looks like garbage, and now I'm going to end up removing the images completely. I don't have the knowledge of how to do photo editing, so now I have to figure out how to make my pages look good with no headers at all.

How do you resize an image to get it to fit within the area that the header uses, and just what size is that anyway? Beats me, the header editor doesn't even have this BASIC feature. I use the editor here because I'm NOT A PROFESSONAL website designer, but now, with this rediculous new editor, I have to be... Bring back the old one, or give those of us that still have the ability to use FLASH a choice in which to use. The new one is a MAJOR failure, and should NOT be a forced, permanent, replacment until it at least has the basic features of its predecessor.

Scholar

Support has refused to reinstate the old version and have basically said get ......ed.

Text is the big thing for for me. The current editor does not even display decenders like y and g and is poor resolution with no shadowing possible.

How any major company can put out such rubbish is beyond me, unless they match in HTML 5 what was previously in Flash.

Weebly has been the greatest thing for me and now having looked again at Wix I see how far behind Weebly is on some of this stuff. A great pity because for me Weebly has always been the easier to use solution with great effects like the banner slideshow editor with easy multi image manipulation and easy text overlay.

Scholar

I'm certainly going to be looking into other options. My site comes up for renewal in March, and if things don't change for the better, I may end up moving on. This has been my first attempt at website creation beyond the hand coded HTML 4.0 I learned many years ago. I've been quite happy with their service thus far. There are things that I wished were different, or that there more capabilities, but I've been able to deal with it. This header mess is not something I can deal with, and they have 2 months to get it figured out before I pull up and move somewhere that has.