x

Can Invoice "paid" date be manually entered?

The title of this thread has been edited by a Square Moderator from the original: "Date invoice paid annoyance, or is it me?"

So, I marked an invoice as paid today, expecting it to allow me to enter the date it was paid.  The invoice was paid on the 3rd Dec via direct deposit, but I've just today (10th Dec) sat down to do office work snd sort all that sort of stuff out.

I didn't see anywhere I could change the payment date, but I could add a note.  When I clicked on, it recorded the invoice as paid on the 10th, and I'm like, WTF??  It seems I cannot change this now that it's done, either, so I'm a bit miffed.

Is there a way to adjust the date of payment, or does the system just automatically force the payment date to be the date you tell the system the invoice has been paid?

Cheers.

Message 1 of 17
2 Best Answers
Super Seller

Best Answer

payments for invoices or transactions in person are recorded real time and use the current date for the transaction details.  there isn't a way to change what day a payment is received.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 17
Admin

Best Answer

@Alexandre

Right now when you are marking an invoice as paid - you are stating it is paid as of that particular date. We're required to reflect payment activity in real time, due to the nature of credit card payments and activity, currently it's just recording that the invoice is resolved.

You may be looking for a more indepth Account Solution that can help you to reconcile these dates.  You can check out our integrated Account programs here. These will serve better for your bookkeeping purposes.

We do hear that it's a function you would like the Invoices feature to have, and I'm happy to continue to pass feedback like this to our Product Team. We do prioritize changes like this based on this kind of Feedback. You can read more about our Feature Request process here

kellyj
Technical Program Manager: AI
Square Inc

View Best Answer >

Message 5 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Super Seller

Best Answer

payments for invoices or transactions in person are recorded real time and use the current date for the transaction details.  there isn't a way to change what day a payment is received.

Message 2 of 17

This reply created from merging an existing thread: "How do I change the payment date of invoice marked paid by check?" The author has been notified via email.

I marked an invoice that was paid by check.  But the payment date is today, instead of when they paid.  How do I change that so my report is accurate?

Message 3 of 17

I really would like to see a response here. Normally this isn’t a big issue - a few days off isn’t a big deal - but it can be a big issue when the difference in the dates are on two different reporting periods. Especially if two different financial years.

Message 4 of 17
Admin

Best Answer

@Alexandre

Right now when you are marking an invoice as paid - you are stating it is paid as of that particular date. We're required to reflect payment activity in real time, due to the nature of credit card payments and activity, currently it's just recording that the invoice is resolved.

You may be looking for a more indepth Account Solution that can help you to reconcile these dates.  You can check out our integrated Account programs here. These will serve better for your bookkeeping purposes.

We do hear that it's a function you would like the Invoices feature to have, and I'm happy to continue to pass feedback like this to our Product Team. We do prioritize changes like this based on this kind of Feedback. You can read more about our Feature Request process here

kellyj
Technical Program Manager: AI
Square Inc
Message 5 of 17
Beta Member

I'm having the same issue. I'm about to do my taxes and am reconciling my past transactions. Obviously, now I can't which is going to be frustrating to have to explain to my tax person. This seems like a very basic thing that should be remedied as soon as possible. Isn't the whole point of the software to stay organized? Especially for slackers like me. 🙂

Message 6 of 17

why can't I change the payment date on an invoice?

Message 7 of 17
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @oatbrandy1! Thanks for reaching out here on the Seller Community.

I've gone ahead and merged your post into an existing thread of Sellers asking this same question concerning editing time of Invoice paid. This Best Answer should answer your questions.

Let us know if anything else comes up! 

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 8 of 17

Sometimes my clients make payments via check or outside of square, but when I add the payment to the Square invoice, it does not allow me to enter the actual date that I received the payment.  It records the payment for the date that I "entered" the payment into the square interface.  I don't like that.  It's not accurate reporting.  Can this be added???

Message 9 of 17

I agree.  Adding payments to invoices, there should be a way to enter the date the payment was received not the current date (or date of entry).

Message 10 of 17

I see that this has not yet been addressed. After writing in this community almost two years ago, I have subscribed to Zoho's suite of products, including Zoho Books which is very user-friendly and sufficiently powerful for small business needs.

Message 11 of 17

I have the same issue and came here to find that there is no answer to my question other than I am SOL.  

Message 12 of 17

Please add function to update date on paid invoices. So annoying a payment made last year is mixed with this year's revenue. I will probably go to QuickBooks because of this.

Message 13 of 17

I understand that because Square is a credit card processor that dates and times cannot be modified for credit and debit card transactions... however being able to change the date/time that a cash or check payment is made on an invoice is very simple and should 100% be a feature. To appease Square/the powers that be and still making the record of payment accurate I might suggest that invoices show the recorded payment date/time which will not be able to be changed vs the received date that absolutely needs to have an option to change by the user! This is going to cause a big issue with my books because I received a check for an invoice December 2022 and want it recorded in 2022, instead Square is recording it when I was open for business again in January 2023. So not only will it affect my 2022 books - I will have to remember next tax year to deduct the payment from Square 2023's reports! 

Message 14 of 17
Square Community Moderator

Hey there, @Renoyourlife

Completely understand your business need for changing those cash or check payments. I want to recommend heading over to our Ideate Board to post this as a Feature Request for our Product Team. 

I appreciate you taking the time to bring this over to us! Once we have more information from our Product Team, a Community Moderator will come back to update the status on your request. 

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 15 of 17

Thanks for the response to this question. However, this isn't just a "feature request," entering the true date a payment was received is a requirement for any accounting system. There is a distinct difference between the requirements of recording an electronic transaction and those for catching up with payments where a check was received.

If Square is going to offer a method of marking an invoice as "paid," then the user needs to have control over the date used in recording the payment. People who use bookkeeping services once or a few times a week would naturally want to record the date a check was received accurately. Surely that makes sense—a manager may make copies of any checks received and deposit those immediately, leaving the records for a bookkeeper to enter later. Thanks.

Message 16 of 17

Wow! Unbelievable.. This is still an issue.
This is not a feature request by any means. It is a failure in function. With another half-dozen items that are failures, I find Square Invoicing lacking and will be moving on to a better solution. Sad, too. It's such a graceful interface, imo.

Message 17 of 17