x
Beta Member

Tax Exempt Customer for all purchases?

Under US resale law, I am allowed to not charge sales tax for any purchase which a Customer declares is for resale, provided I have a resale certificate on file.  I sell almost exclusively to small businesses, a few of which have provided their Certificate to me.  How do I set up a Customer so that for taxable items, the default for that Customer is not to charge sales tax?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Super Seller Alumni

Sales tax can only be set at the item level, you can't set it by the customer.  If the bulk of your customer will be tax exempt I would turn the tax off and only apply it to the customers that will be taxed.  Again this will have to be turned on and off at the item level.

Message 2 of 10
Beta Member

Need an UNLIKE button.  Yet another capability Square seems uninterested in providing.

Message 3 of 10
Admin

Thank you for your post @Geezer, I'm sorry for the frustration this has caused. I will share your request for a way to apply sales tax at the Customer level with the Point of Sale team. Your feedback is important and will helps us to improve the app! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 4 of 10
Beta Member

I second the need for a "Customer Level" tax exempt option.  I have a mix of retail and resale customers that buy the same items and find it onerous to try to manage tax exemption at the item level by creating separate resale and retail items while still maintaining the same underlying inventory.  Please work on adding this option!

Message 5 of 10
Square Community Moderator

Thanks for adding your voice here in support of this feature, @WhitneyMaille! I am more than happy to push over your specific feedback to our Product Teams for more visibility! 

As Helen mentioned above, as soon as we have a positive update to share in regards to this feature, we will bounce back here and update everyone vocally. Thanks, again! 

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 6 of 10

hello 

Has this tax exempt feature added to square yet? I really need to set up an tax exempt online checkout for one of my wholesale customer. Can anyone help?

Message 7 of 10
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @Candylulu - thanks for taking the time to check in here on this Feature Request. Unfortunately, we don't have any updates to share at this time - and we appreciate you hanging in. 

As soon as we have more insight to share on a rollout, we will reach back out here and let everyone know! Stay tuned!

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 8 of 10

It is now 2022.  This was requested in 2018.  Has this been added yet?  If so, can you point us to a document with instructions on how to setup a Tax Exempt customer.

This is a really big deal.  I sell to many non-profits and having to override each, and every invoice takes away the automation efficiencies we get with online orders.

I think we are looking for functionality that would allow us to record the Tax Exempt Number (and even upload the form) and check a box stating Tax Exempt.

This would then be used by the POS or website when calculating the order/invoice.  If checked, it would zero out the tax.  (It could even ask the customer to confirm that "this" purchase is Tax Exempt.  As long as they confirm, no tax would be added.  If they decline, tax would be calculated as normal.

Is there a reason to not add this functionality?

Message 9 of 10
Super Seller

@4ManServ ;

What I do is I ring everything up with Sales Tax on.  The on the Screen I just slide the TAX off, this takes the Tax off for all Wholesale orders for me.  Yes I know it would be convenient to have it by customer, but this is easier for me.  I do not have to enter the Customers Name, phone or account number.  I ring it up like all transactions slide off the tax and were are good.  The other alternative I do when it is a large order, I write up a Sales order or Invoice, when they come to checkout or pay at the time they pickup, I have a Barcode by the register labeled Wholesale it is a Non Taxed Item.  I scan that and it asks for the amount.  I type in the amount and enter the Sales order or Invoice number and hand my wholesaler the receipt.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 10 of 10