x

Ringing up Delivery Services

I have a small food shop, and I've started working with food delivery services like GrubHub, DoorDash, etc. The extra cash is great, but I have no idea how I should ring up these services in my POS. There is no exchange of money, as the money is wired directly to my account by the delivery services. Right now we just give them the food, but it would be great to track delivery sales in the POS.

Any suggestions on how I can go about this without actually accepting money on the pickup?

Message 1 of 26
2 Best Answers
Super Seller

Best Answer

You can ring up the sale and when it is on the payment screen choose other.

Or you could ring it up and apply a 100% discount on it if you are worried that the sale will be in 2 locations.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 26
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @Stella!- When you process sales as other tender, Square doesn't process or deposit any funds. It's just there to use as more of a tracking tool.

You can always login to your Online Square Dashboard and naviagte to your Sales Summary to view the payments that were taken as "Other".

Let me know if there's any other information you're looking for!

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage

View Best Answer >

Message 9 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
Super Seller

Best Answer

You can ring up the sale and when it is on the payment screen choose other.

Or you could ring it up and apply a 100% discount on it if you are worried that the sale will be in 2 locations.

Message 2 of 26

I like that first option. I set up a "Delivery" dining option and I'm going to train my staff to tender the order under "Other". It would be nice if I could create my own tender option, but this will get the job done.

Thank you!

Message 3 of 26

The problem with this approach is that "other"  can have things like cash from a split tender or using a gift card, etc. in it on the end of dayh sales report.  

Message 4 of 26

How can you add the tip?

Message 5 of 26
Admin

@Javiervj If you record a sale as other in the Point of Sale app you can't add a tip. Hopefully we can offer a solution for processing orders from delivery apps in the future. We'll share any updates here.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 6 of 26

Following for updated payment types!

Message 7 of 26

What happens when you close out a sale as "other"?  I'm assuming that counts the sale as finalized but how do you track those sales?  I'm about to start working with multiple 3rd party delivery services that charge different rates for commission - how can I keeps tabs on sales that are closed out to "other"?  Thanks.

Message 8 of 26
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @Stella!- When you process sales as other tender, Square doesn't process or deposit any funds. It's just there to use as more of a tracking tool.

You can always login to your Online Square Dashboard and naviagte to your Sales Summary to view the payments that were taken as "Other".

Let me know if there's any other information you're looking for!

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 9 of 26

how do I integrate uber eats, grub hub, seamless etc....

Message 10 of 26

SQUARE PLEASE ADD MORE TENDER OPTIONS AND COMMISSIONS FUNCTIONALITY.

For tenders, we needs a designated third party delivery option: Not just an "other" option. We have a ton of orders with UberEats, Postmates GrubHub etc. and we find it very difficult to manage the accounting and backend headache associated with using these services. 

1. We need a Third Party/Delivery Services Tender Option.

2. We need a way to record their commissions within the transaction. Or alternative pricing on items. 

Please add more functionality to help retailers better handle these types of transactions. 

Message 11 of 26
Alumni

Hi @lbduxbury - While I don't have an ETA on if or when this feature might be implemented, I've merged your post with others who have shown interest in the same request so that the Point of Sale team can track feedback for it in one place. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. We'll make sure to post any updates as we receive them.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 12 of 26

I am not sure where else to put this, so reply was my best option. 

We have started working with a 3rd party delivery driver. He has set bounds and specific prices for his delivery. 
What I would like to see is:

A. Delivery as an option for checkout. 

1. In this I would like to see a way to charge for specific areas. Ex. Within 5 miles of a specific address is $6, within 10 miles of a specific address is $8... etc. 

2. Pre order(and pay) for a specific time for delivery. 

3. Possible business to business through square invoicing. Preferrably at a discount, as I conviced my guy to set up a square account, but need to pay him for the delivery, or let me have an area for third party connected payemts for the delivery, so his portion goes directly to his square stuff. This would also be really nice, because upon notification of my team to make the coffee and sandwiches, he would be notified that he has a delivery to prepare for, and it would cut us out from having to call him to tell him we have an order for him to deliver.

B. If i can have the webpage through square with more than one page. I love that you guys have this for us to use, but the issue with it is I have 300+ items, and having that pop up on the "homepage" is a little overwhelming for my customers. 

by the way! Love the changes to the loyalty program. I harped on this for so long, and its nice to know that my voice somewhat matters 🙂

Message 13 of 26

Any update on this?  We also have the same issue with integrating 3rd party delivery services through square for tracking commissions, taxes, discounts, etc.  This is extremely important for us as our business keeps growing with dynamic expansion options such us deliveiries now available.

Message 14 of 26
Admin

No updates at this time @rincondelsabor but I understand how important this is for your business to manage multiple delivery options. I'll share your post with the Point of Sale team and hopefully we'll have a solution to share soon! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 15 of 26

I have my staff put the abbreviation for the deliver service followed by the guests last name in the NOTES field of the order when closing out payments using OTHER. 

DD Smith or UE Jones or GH Davis

DD for DoorDash and UE for UberEats

Then when looking at the Transaction tab I can sort by OTHER payments first and the sort using NOTES with the abbreviation (one at a time). 

I get all my “DD”s grouped and totaled together for me and it’s a touch easier to input for QuickBooks. 

Hope that helps! Good luck!

Message 16 of 26
Admin

@Amanda-P

EJ's work around is definitely the best way to address this at this time, but I do love the suggestion by @ABaker.  

Maybe something like that can work for you?

kellyj
Technical Program Manager: AI
Square Inc
Message 17 of 26

This is not an effective workaround if you sync with a bookkeeping system. 

Message 18 of 26
Super Seller

We are experiencing an issue in this area as well (third party delivery services). 

As as we receive delivery orders via a tablet, we enter the incoming order into the POS and save it as a Ticket. When we receive a check from FoodJets, we combine the appropriate tickets together for reconciliation however, and this is where we have a problem, when we discount the service’s fee (25%) as a percentage or a dollar amount, it changes the tax and the amount of the check doesn’t match the total in the register. We’ve attempted to toggle off the tax and then discount the fee however, there doesn’t seem to be a way to add the tax amount back on and have the check and the register total match up. 

Anyone else experiencing this this issue? Any suggestions?

Max

MAX’S DELI

Max Berkowitz | MAX’S DELI
Square Online Store
Message 19 of 26
Square Community Moderator

Hi @MAXSDELI

One workaround that I've seen sellers use is to replace the actual tax setting with a tax item. 

So they'd create a variable priced item that with the name Tax, add to the specific delivery sales, and turn off the discount on that specific item so the tax amount is correct. 

Message 20 of 26
Super Seller

I’ll give it a try, thank you for the info!

Max Berkowitz | MAX’S DELI
Square Online Store
Message 21 of 26