x

Credit Card Authorization Form template is incomplete

https://squareup.com/townsquare/credit-card-authorization-form-templates

I downloaded the form, customized it to my business (added logo, etc) and sent it to a customer. Turns out the template doesn't request the CVV/security code. This seemed like a simple assumption to make, since Square requires it to process pyament. 

Now I'll be going back to the customer asking for an update and looking incompetant. Help prevent future snafus, Square: please update the template.

Update: I see someone already made this request (albeit unclearly) here: 
https://www.sellercommunity.com/t5/General-Discussion/Credit-Card-Authorization-Form/m-p/35836#M5605

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Super Seller

Message 2 of 10
Alumni

Hi @ICandSquare and @VanKalkerFarms - This is intentionally left off the form. Per PCI compliance, merchants are not permitted to store this information.

We're looking for a better solution for this (obviously it's not very convenient for merchants to go through the trouble of having a customer fill out this form only to realize something is missing) and will update you when there's a solution!

Message 3 of 10

Could you put that on the web page so future mistakes are avoided? 

Message 4 of 10
Alumni

We have it in our FAQs already! 

Message 5 of 10

I promise, future simple-minded business owners like me are going to make the same mistake I did. They're going to assume they don't need to closely scrutinize the template, and send it to their clients - only to realize they now look foolish because there's no CVC. They are not going to assume they need to read the FAQ first. 

Just a suggestion!

Message 6 of 10
Alumni

Thanks for the suggestion and sorry again for the frustrating experience! We've asked our team that handles the Town Square blog to make a note of it. We try our best to provide as much information as possible on parts of the site our team works on directly (FAQs, community, etc), especially when we hear feedback directly from our sellers. 

Message 7 of 10

Sorry, but having in the FAQ is useless. It needs to be right there in the window when we're putting in the CC info. It already has a paragraph telling us we need to keep an authoriation form on file, so putting in another sentence or two about the all-important CVV seems prudent.

Message 8 of 10

What is the point of being able to "keep your card on file" if we're not allowed to keep their CVV on file?

If the answer is that Square is who is keeping the card info on file, then why do we need an authorization form?

Message 9 of 10
Admin

Hey @DaoDeJing, thank you for taking the time to point this out and I apologize for the frustration. I'll be sure to share your experience and suggest that this be clarified within the app or dashboard itself. Hopefully we can make this process more straightforward.

Regarding your second question, sensitive information like a card's CVV number is regulated and we must comply with PCI standards. At this time, the authorization form is not legally required (though it's best to consult with a lawyer for when they would suggest using one), and it cannot include the customer's CVV for security purposes.

If anything changes, we will update this section of our Support Center as well: Why isn’t there a space on the authorization form to add the CVV number for my customer’s card?

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 10 of 10