x

Is there a way to add a customer to an already processed sale?

I know now to add customer during sale, but for ones already processed I would like to go back and add names so that customer history is accurate. 

Thanks!

Message 1 of 24
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi @CGESMike - Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Square Seller Community👋

I just tested this out on the app on my phone and didn't see an option to add a Customer to a past sale via the Transactions screen either. But if you visit your Square Dashboard online and go to the Transactions page, as mentioned in this thread, you'll see an option to add a Customer to the sale after you've clicked on the individual Transaction (shown below).

On the app, I did notice that you can add a Customer to the sale right after you've completed the payment. Otherwise, it looks like you'll need to do this from the Dashboard. P.S. I edited this thread to show my response as the Best Answer since this is the most up-to-date info.

I hope this information is helpful but please do let me know if you have any additional questions.

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 19 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
Square

@Shelbey - Welcome to the Seller Community, and kudos on your first post! 👍

As for your question, you sure can! Just follow these steps:

1. Locate and click on the indivdual sale from the Transactions tab of your Square Dashboard.

2. On the top right corner of the receipt preview, click the "..." - You'll see the option for "Add Customer." Here is a screenshot:

3. At that point, you can add an existing customer, or create a new one.  

PS) If my answer solved your problem, would you mind marking it as "Best Answer"? That'll help the rest of the community find what they're looking for. If not, just write back, and I'll continue to help. Thanks!

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 2 of 24
Beta Member

@Sean is there an updated set of instructions for this? When I click on the three dots the only choice is "Edit Customer".

Side note .. wish Square would remove old instruction threads as they revise the product.

Message 3 of 24
Admin

Hey @Horsefeathers, welcome to the seller community and thanks for flagging this!

Sorry for the confusion — one point of clarification: you will see "Edit Customer" if there's already a customer associated with the sale. You'll only see "Add Customer" when no one has yet been associated with the sale.

Hope this helps clear things up. Please let us know if you a have any questions or are encountering any other issues — we'll be sure to have a closer look. 💯

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 4 of 24

At our driving range, customers will come and buy one bucket of balls. After hitting this bucket of balls, they will buy a second bucket of balls. Is there a way to register and combine both of these purchases to a single customer. This is a problem because it is skewing much of our sales data. Also, is there a way to track the quantity of what people are buying? Is there an easy way to find out how many buckets of balls customers are buying on average? Thanks! 

Message 5 of 24

Hi @KOHRgolf

I've moved your post over to this existing thread, as it sounds like you might benefit from using our Customer Directory and Customer Profiles for your sales. 

You're able to Add Customers and Payments to Your Directory from the Square App

For the sales that you've already completed but didn't add a customer to, you can follow the steps in this threads Best Answer and add them from your Dashboard. 

You can then view your Customer Profiles in your Dashboard and see the buying history of each customer, as well as other insights and data reports that might be helpful. 

Message 6 of 24

I use ECWID - when I go to the transactions tab - there is no customer, there is no option to add a customer. There's just the list of transactions - dates and totals. That is not useful. I want a simple report that for each transaction I see an ID, the date, total purchase, Square fees and an entry that shows the date the total was sent to the bank. A great bonus would be customer and item information but I'll settle for something that gives just the 4 pieces of information I really need (ID, date, total purchase, square fees).

Message 7 of 24

Hi @Frustrated5!

You should be able to see what you're looking for in the Transactions section of the online Dashboard.

Once you select the transaction- it shows the order #, total, fees taken, and the date!

Ashley C
Message 8 of 24

Yes that’s what I do also you can also click on the appointment as well and view the transaction and resend a receipt to the client as well. I like this feature that you can go back and see all your sales and how your doing for the month 

Amanda Duffy
Message 9 of 24

Message 10 of 24

I believe you can.  From your Dashboard, bring up Transactions and open the sales receipt you want to add the customer to.  There will be a block for Issue Refund and a block for Send Receipt.  Next to those are three dots.  Click the Dots and it will say "Add Customer"  You can then add the customer to a receipt you have already processed.  

Message 11 of 24

That has not been working for me recently. I get the add customer option but all it does is highlight a black dot next to the name. There is no option to insert or edit the customer. So how do we get the customer name inserted once we find it in the list?

Message 12 of 24
Square

You can absolutely add or edit a customer on any sale!

To add a customer from your Square Dashboard follow these steps below: 

- Select your transaction tab and which ever transaction you are looking to edit. 

- Select the three dots in the upper right hand corner. 

- Select the existing customer or "Create New Customer" at the bottom of the list.

To edit an existing customer on a sale:

- follow the same steps as above until you click those three dots, instead of "add customer", your option will be "edit customer". 

- You will be able to edit all on the customer information or completely remove the customer from your sale. 

Message 13 of 24

Whay does the customer phone numbe not automatically populate when tou add them to a sale.

Message 14 of 24
Square

Do you mean for sending receipts, @thedietteaguy

If your customer has visited a Square seller before, their card may already be set up for automatic receipts. Otherwise, the option to select their receipt delivery method will be available after each sale, even if you have them saved as a customer. Hope that helps clarify. 

Message 15 of 24

what do you do when you follow these steps and get an error msg each time you try?

"We’re sorry, but something went wrong."

Message 16 of 24
Alumni

@TuningElement

🤨 Hmm, I just tested adding/removing a customer from a sale and it's working just fine for me. Perhaps there's an issue with your browser. Mind giving these troubleshooting tips a try and let me know how it goes?

If any other sellers are running into this same issue, tag me in your post so I can have my Team take a look! 

Justin
Message 17 of 24

Using the Square app on a Samsung tablet, there are no three dots showing anywhere after selecting the transaction in question from the Transactions tab. Has this changed since 2016 when you first answered this question? And what might the process be now, if it has changed?

Message 18 of 24

Best Answer

Hi @CGESMike - Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Square Seller Community👋

I just tested this out on the app on my phone and didn't see an option to add a Customer to a past sale via the Transactions screen either. But if you visit your Square Dashboard online and go to the Transactions page, as mentioned in this thread, you'll see an option to add a Customer to the sale after you've clicked on the individual Transaction (shown below).

On the app, I did notice that you can add a Customer to the sale right after you've completed the payment. Otherwise, it looks like you'll need to do this from the Dashboard. P.S. I edited this thread to show my response as the Best Answer since this is the most up-to-date info.

I hope this information is helpful but please do let me know if you have any additional questions.

Violet
Message 19 of 24

Awesome, thanks so much Violet!

Message 20 of 24

My pleasure, @CGESMike ! 🙂

Violet
Message 21 of 24