x

Is there a way to NOT allow discounts on specific items?

Is there a way to NOT allow discounts on specific items?

I give my staff a discount on products but I do not want to allow a discount on travel size items.  Is there a way to mark them so they can not be discounted?

2 Verified Answers
Verified Answer

Re: How do I restrict all discounts on purchases of alcohol?

It sounds like you would like the ability to restrict specific items from discounts, @burrito 🌯 
While this is not currently possible, you are able to select the categories and items that discounts apply to.

1. I would first recommend creating a category from your Dashboard to house all of your alcoholic beverages in.

2. Next, you'll create or edit a discount via your Discounts page.
    While here, toggle ON the Discount rules option in the Automatic discount section:

3. You'll want to select the Item or category option in the pop-up that appears here:

4. Next, you can select all categories that you would like the discount to apply to.
    Be sure not to select the category you created for your alcoholic beverages!

Please let us know if this isn't quite what you were looking to do, and we can dig in a bit more 

Tom
Verified Answer

Re: Is there a way to NOT allow discounts on specific items?

Hi @salon208 — welcome to the seller community! ✌🏻

Thanks for surfacing this. Currently, we don't offer the option to restrict discounts on specific items, though I can see how this feature would be helpful for many businesses like yours.

I'll be sharing your suggestion with our Product Liaison team, who is constantly working to improve our products based on seller feedback. We'll certainly circle back with any other developments that may be useful.

Please keep in touch for updates and if you have any other questions, let us know!

189 Comments

We need the ability to mark individual items and entire categories to Allow or Prevent discounts.

For example, we have member discounts (10% off) that we would like to allow for merchandise but not for event tickets or purchase of memberships. Others have said that they want to allow discounts on on food but not on bar beverages.

So, we would like to see something like a toggle on/off in the category definition and/or item description... maybe “Allow Discounts”.

We would be interested in participating in a beta.

Alumni

Got it, thank you @Cfrohrbach

Super Seller

@elaine_p, definitely, sign us up for any beta testing you are doing regarding pricing changes and bundling etc, we are already running the Square POS Beta clients.

Alumni

Will do! Thank you @VanKalkerFarms

Beta Member

Here's an even bigger problem with this inability to include/exclude categories for discounting.  If you sell both taxable and nontaxable items, a fixed amount discount or a percentage discount alters the amount of tax collected on the sale.  Not only do we have to waste time coming up with workarounds, if we don't, we lose money that has to be made up on the back end.

Admin

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Can you make a promo code that will only certain items in the online store

@TwistedRail @SpencerRenI've moved your posts here so our Product Manager @elaine_p has can see your posts. She's been working to understand exactly what sellers need here, and she's also sharing tips for how to make sure a discount isn't applied to everything in a sale. 

We'll share any developments on excluding categories from specific discounts in this thread. Now that you're posts are here, you'll be automatically notified of any updates.

Alumni

@TwistedRail - Do your local tax requirements indicate paying taxes on the pre-discounted amount? Or, is the issue that discounts are applying at the cart level vs. the item level when you have a cart with taxable and nontaxable items? 

If it's easier to discuss in a quick chat,  we can schedule a time that works for you. 

My issue is that I want to be able to turn off discounts on certain items - not certain categories, just items, similar to the way we can make certain items non-taxable. The situation is that we offer discounts on purchases in our Museum Shop for historical society members. However, we occasionally also sell a membership in the same transaction. If the clerk (volunteers who work maybe once a month or less) forgets to remove the discount when putting the membership plus purchased items in the sale, then the membership gets discounted also, causing a loss of funds. We also have a few items which, due to grant funding, are not permitted to be sold, and technically are given for a donation. They are also not taxable. When the item was entered in the items building area, the tax option was turned off so that the system will not add sales tax to that item. However, if the clerk forgets to turn off the discount, then the item is discounted causing a loss of funds.

Good morning.

We have specific items that we DO NOT allow discounts on.  And even if I advise staff, they forget, and will still provide the discounts.

Beta Member

We use a fixed amount discount on non-taxable items (alcohol) during happy hour.  Cannot use a percentage discount for that.  This discount is applied at the cart level and impacts the amount of tax being assigned to the taxable items (food).  We are talking potentially pennies on each sale but that does add up and we have to make up the difference when submitting tax on our food items.