x

How do I delete an invoice?

How do I delete an invoice ? She paid with her card and then decided she didnt want the item, I refunded her cash instead of using the refund on square (being new to this), but now its still showing paid under invoices and I want to just delete it. Help!

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 21
2 Best Answers
Square

Best Answer

Not sure we know what you mean, @Markley21. Was the invoice completed with a card payment? If so, there isn't a way to delete the sale. 

Here are the steps to refund a payment, if you'd prefer to do that in the future! Let me know if there is anything else I can clarify.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 21

Best Answer

You can't delete an invoice, but you can cancel it. Canceling it will void it out. Click on the invoice you wish to cancel. Then scroll down to the bottom. Click "more" then cancel.

View Best Answer >

Message 13 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Square

Best Answer

Not sure we know what you mean, @Markley21. Was the invoice completed with a card payment? If so, there isn't a way to delete the sale. 

Here are the steps to refund a payment, if you'd prefer to do that in the future! Let me know if there is anything else I can clarify.

Message 2 of 21

I closed it out on other. I then opened another invoice and paid that one with a card.

For my report tracking I'd like to delete the first invoice.

Will that just go away after some time?

Message 3 of 21

I did refund the Other payment

Message 4 of 21
Square

@dorth001 - Since deleting isn't currently an option, refunding is your best bet. Glad to hear you found this option. 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 5 of 21

how can i delete an invoice that is showing as failed? 

Message 6 of 21
Admin

Hello @yashimac! I've moved your post here as other sellers have asked the same question. There isn't a way to delete an invoice if it was successful or if it failed!

While this isn't something we have a timeline for I'll share your interest in being able to delete invoices with the Product Team.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 7 of 21

Square keeps its credibility as a neutral arbiter and fair credit card processor as it is.  Merchants should NOT have the ability to delete a paid invoice, to avoid temptation to deny being paid.   A deleted paid invoice would leave the customer with no way to prove that the invoice is marked Paid.  Now he can simply click the URL.  Square should protect both the Merchant and Customer.  Square is just fine the way it is now for maximum trustworthiness in the globalmarket  place..

Message 8 of 21

I dont agree. I accidently marked an invoice "paid in cash" when it wasnt (I was trying to adjust the amount. So now I have no way to delete it from my system and it shows i made more money than i actually did so its definity an issue. 

Message 9 of 21
Alumni

Hey @janaeelisa - Sorry to hear about your issue. If you'd like to balance your books after an accidental charge like this, you would just need to press Refund for that transaction and the system should reflect an accurate balance from there.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 10 of 21

however that doesn't change the GROSS TOTAL Sales

would rather REMOVE THE INVOICE 

and as to square protecting me by not letting me be temped to alter my Invoice's

I THINK THATS MY DECISION TO MAKE 

just my opinion 

Message 11 of 21

This reply was created from merging an existing thread

How to delete an invoice

Message 12 of 21

Best Answer

You can't delete an invoice, but you can cancel it. Canceling it will void it out. Click on the invoice you wish to cancel. Then scroll down to the bottom. Click "more" then cancel.

Message 13 of 21

I was playing around learning the square and accidently created an actual invoice thinking I could delete the whole thing. But I can't figure it out.

Message 14 of 21
Alumni

Hey @bolivarcomplete - I've merged your post with a thread on the same topic. Check out Carrx's answer above for more information.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 15 of 21

How can I permanently delete an invoice and keep it from going out in a daily email to buyer?

Message 16 of 21
Square Community Moderator

Hi @saltwatercrow!

I moved your post to an existing thread in the Community with the same question.

Check out @Carrx 's best answer for more details. 

In the future too- don't hesitate to search your question first within the Community because it's likely that it is already answered by us or one of our sellers. 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 17 of 21

I sent an invoice and everytime we try to run the card it would decline.  So I was trying to see if I could take 1/2 of the invoiced amount. But what happened was I wrote that 1/2 the invoice was paid by other.  So how can I delete this? I did send another invoice for the other 1/2 of the invoice and both are paid via credit card that he paid himself via invoice sent to him. But it shows that I received more because of the paid amount I manually put.

Please help!!

If feel like an idot!!

Message 18 of 21

Hey @DannCoServices

I moved your post over to a board with answers to your question.

Check out the best answers on this post by @Carrx about canceling the invoice since there isn't a way to delete them. 

Kassi
Message 19 of 21

Hi, I sent myself a test invoice so see how it would show up for other customers and marked it as paid. I then refunded the fake “balance” but it still shows up in my paid invoices. Is there anyway to remove this charge? I would hate for a test invoice to affect my taxes for next year. Thanks!

Message 20 of 21

Hey @Devonedwards_ Thanks for reaching out about this. I've merged your post with an existing thread that will help answer your question. In case you're short for time, I will mention that you cannot delete any transactions or invoices, but you can always refund them and label the payments as test payments for your records. Thank you!

AshleyK
Message 21 of 21