x

How do I connect my reader to an iPhone 8 (there's no hole on the bottom!)?

I have used previous iPhone models, but the iPhone 8 doesn't have a hole on the bottom to plug in the reader.

Message 1 of 30
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Update August 2018: More good news: You can now buy a magstripe reader that has a lightning connector! To buy one, sign in to the Square Shop🎉

Hey @Alan2, good news—we do have a solution for this! 💯

If you’re using an iPhone 8 with your magstripe reader, you can use the Lightning Adapter for Square Reader. The Lightning Adapter for Square Reader is rigid so you won't need a third hand to complete the payment. In addition, it will work with iPhone 7, 7Plus, 8, or X. 😉

Hope this helps clear things up—let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center

View Best Answer >

Message 4 of 30
29 REPLIES 29

Thanks

Message 22 of 30
Super Seller

Message 23 of 30

I used the rigid adapter I paid $15 for at a craft event this weekend.  It is easily knocked out of the connection port on my iphone 8s Plus.  Not happy with this product.

Message 24 of 30
Admin

Hey @DebO—sorry to hear it. That sounds like it shouldn't be happening.🤔 Does it feel like the adapter is locking into place when you connect it? In addition, is there any chance you have a case on your phone or any other information on how it became dislodged? I'd like to share more about your experience with our Hardware Team.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 25 of 30

I only have a slim shell on it. No big otter case or anything like that. I’ll try it without the shell and see but I hate to lose even some protection on my expensive phone when I’m working a craft show. It can easily be dropped or something there. The adapter even sits a little crooked in the phone port. I’ll try removing the shell and see what happens and remark mark soon.

Message 26 of 30

I also bought the adapter for my IPhone 8 and like your's it doesnt' fit very well and easily comes out.  It doesn't work with my case either so I have to remove the phone from the case. Very inconvient.  I'm struggling for a good solution.  Might just buy a cheap IPhone 6 to run cards. 

Message 27 of 30

Hello @Alan2 and @DebO

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble! I have an iPhone 8 as well and did some testing with the adapter in our office. I will add that I do not have a case on my phone and I was able to use the adapter without any issues. It should plug in and hold with the same tension as a lightning cable when charging your phone. 

The only tips I could think of is to make sure your lightning port is free of any dirt or dust and make sure there is no silver showing from the adapter when it's plugged in. 

Message 28 of 30

Dirt or dust?  That’s a pretty elementary solution. My iPhone 8 is only a month old so I’m sure there isn’t a build up in the port.  There has to be a better way.  I don’t want to remove the case and lose all protection in a busy, craft fair environment. Maybe the design of the adapter could allow a longer connector for putting into the phone port.  I think I wasted $15on the adapter. As awkward as the lightning cable from Apple is, it doesn’t pull out or sit crooked in the phone port. 

Message 29 of 30

Hey @DebO, I recommended this since you mentioned the adapter was sitting crocked in your lightning port. 

The adapter is off centered by design, so maybe I miss-interpreted your initial post? If I did, I'm sorry about that. I'm not sure of the style of phone case you're using, but there are a few cases out there that protect your phone but don't have any silicon that covers the bottom speakers or lightning port. I know Apple's case for the iPhone 8 is shaped like this. 

I'll make sure to share your feedback about a longer stem with our Hardware Team. If you still have questions, please feel free to reach out to me! 

Message 30 of 30