x

How do I put the customer list in order by last name?

The customer list is in alphabetical order by first name, but I need it in order by last name. I can't seem to find a way to put it order by last name. I feel like I'm missing something obvious 😉

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Super Seller Alumni

You can't on the Dashboard.  You can do one of two things.   

1 - Type in the last name and it will filter the list to anyone with that name.

2 - Export the database and then you can sort the spreadsheet. 

Message 2 of 21

Who lists customer by first name??

How does that make sense?  What business would?

I am NOT a happy or satisfied customer.

-Fred Tax Service

(filed under Fred!)

Message 3 of 21

It's my mission to have them sort by last name. I agree it makes absolutely no sense!

Message 4 of 21

Every system we use has clients sorted by last name. Using first names to sort clients is a pain. PLEASE make it an option to search by last name. Why is there a separate area for last name if you can't sort it that way? It makes absolutely no sense and is useless. 

Message 5 of 21

Every system we use has clients sorted by last name. Using first names to sort clients is a pain. PLEASE make it an option to search by last name. Why is there a separate area for last name if you can't sort for it that way? It makes absolutely no sense and is useless. 

Message 6 of 21

We are new to Square. The customer list we have is by first name and then last name. How do you have the customer list show last name then first name to make it easy to find a customer?

Message 7 of 21

Add me to the list of customers wanting this feature. Please allow us to sort customers by last name! This is the normal way to sort customers. First name is nice for a few customers, but not for very many. This seems like such an easy feature to code up.

Message 8 of 21

Please make it so we can sort customers by last name!

thanks

Message 9 of 21
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @HideawayMarina 👋 Thanks for adding your voice here in request of this feature. We will be sure to bounce back when we have more information to share. Thanks for our patience!

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 10 of 21

PLEASE fix this so we can so orders appear by last name on the tablet!

Message 11 of 21

If I had known that we could not sort by last name, I would not have used this system.  What company sorts by first name???  Have you fixed this yet... square?

It is ludicrous.  The only way we can achieve a last name sort is to put the last name in the "first name" block and the first name in the "last name" block.

Message 12 of 21

Hey @danalaake thanks for posting and welcome to the Seller Community. You can filter and search your orders by last name, first name, or full name. If you know the specific order you are looking for, you can type the customer's name into the search bar to pull it up.

If you would like to just organize your orders by last name you can click the header of the column and it will organize the orders by that column. 

There is also a drop down by the search bar that will allow you to search by specific details as well.

I have attached this help article that will show you in more detail where the drop down is on your orders screen as well as provide some more assistance on how to filter your order.

I hope this helps, but please let me know if you have any other questions. 

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 13 of 21

@AshleyK  the issue is not searching orders. The issue is having the customer list itself in order by last name. Not the same thing. Has this functionality been added yet? I see years of people asking. 

Message 14 of 21

Absolutely correct; make no sense to alphabetize by first name.

Message 15 of 21
Beta Member

Don't hold your breath, Square doesn't make readily make changes.

Laughable sorting sorting on first name!

Message 16 of 21

Can't sort by the last name STILL! Yikes, Square please fix this!

Message 17 of 21

Hey @SpokaneRotary21,

Welcome back to the Community!

The ability to filter your customer directory by last name is not available currently – but I can absolutely see how it would benefit your business. Please feel free to share your suggestion in Ideate Room here: squ.re/ideate.

Let me know if I can assist you with anything else.

Message 18 of 21

It's crazy that the customer list stores first and last names separately (as it should) but we can't have the option to show the list with last name first, or at least sorted by last name. I can see that this feature has been requested for over four years - is there anyone listening???

Message 19 of 21

Hello there @CHVNR I appreciate you reaching out to check on this request. We are making changes to our feature request process in order to provide organize and streamline these requests better. I will ask you to submit this request on our Ideate Board, our new tracking board for requests. We will make sure to provide updates as they are available. 

We know waiting for something to be built out isn't easy and greatly appreciate your patience! 

Message 20 of 21
Beta Member

i assumed that I was doing something wrong so I feel better  about myself LOL.

I love Square but this is silly. Send a message.  Demote the staff holding this up, .

Message 21 of 21