x

Does Apple's newly announced iPad model work with the Square Stand for iPad Air 2?

Apple just (3/21/17) announced that it is discontinueing the iPad Air 2, and replacing it with a new model built on the A9 chip, which will now be known as simply 'iPad' -- no more Air, Air 2, whatever.

I have a Square Stand for the Air 2 that I purchased last year, intending to upgrade my retail setup, but never got around to buying the iPad Air 2 for it.

So... will the "new" iPad work with the Square Stand for iPad Air 2?  It has the same small connector (Lightning), but the specs on Apple's site claims that it's a bit "thicker" than the Air 2.

Message 1 of 15
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

Happy to chime in. The newest iPad will work with our latest version of the Square Stand (Square Stand for iPad Pro 9.7”, iPad Air 2, iPad Air).

PS) If my answer solved your problem, would you mind marking it as "Best Answer"? That'll help the rest of the community find what they're looking for. If not, just write back, and I'll continue to help. Thanks!

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Super Seller

I also asked this in another thread, Haven't seen an answer yet.  I believe it should be fine as the physical dimensions of the early 2017 iPad match exactly with the iPad Air (1), so barring some unforeseen reason it should work, but I have not tried it.

Early 2017 iPad is quite a nice spec bump and $70 price drop.

Message 2 of 15
Square

Best Answer

Happy to chime in. The newest iPad will work with our latest version of the Square Stand (Square Stand for iPad Pro 9.7”, iPad Air 2, iPad Air).

PS) If my answer solved your problem, would you mind marking it as "Best Answer"? That'll help the rest of the community find what they're looking for. If not, just write back, and I'll continue to help. Thanks!

Sean
he/him/his
Message 3 of 15

Thanks so much!

Message 4 of 15

@Sean I would add an upgraded iPad is great.(wish I could afford it right now)  It they are adding a "register station" to their existing network and still want to use the old iPad and square stand there is major confilict issues with new and old.  The new Square Register App is not compatible with older iPad's and iPhones with v9.3.5.

Message 5 of 15
Square

Hi @Feedback2016. Would you mind sharing exactly what devices you are using? I do know that Apple recently retired support for some of the older devices, which in turn limits our ability to issue software updates to those devices. 😕

Sean
he/him/his
Message 6 of 15

Model# MC769LL/A 

I use it in my square stand and nothing else.  It is blatantly obvious that Apple has disabled normal use and Square programmers are forced to program basic features that glitch older models.  This practice is unethical at best - it should be deemed illegal.  Why would I want to pay an additional $350 dollars for an iPad that I will use for NOTHING ELSE but my cash register.  It's thievery to me and I am beyond consolable.  Apple is stealing my money and the Square program keeps getting worse and worse with every update.  Sorry for my frankness but I honestly feel I am being held under duress - for basic access. The square basics are lacking features and it is purposely set up to be dysfunctional as is.  It appears this is done so 3rd party programs are necessary for basic use of the program.  Give me something worth paying for FIRST, then show me what extras are available in advanced 3rd party programing. Don't disable the basics so we are forced to spend more money.  That is unethical.

Message 7 of 15

I have no idea what inspired that rant about Apple and their development process, but it really doesn't belong here -- this thread is simply about whether the newest iPad models work with the old Air2 Square stand.

Regardless, I have new information to add. I bought one of the new iPads ($329), and it "sort of" fits the old stand.  It plugs into the Lightning connector, and the securing screw hole lines up with the audio jack. Unfortunately, the screen of the new iPad is about 3/4 of an inch narrower, so there's a gap at the top and bottom of the stand.  The iPad works as expected, but I wasn't happy with the look of the fit, so I just bought a new stand from Square ($99) and it fits perfectly now.

All functions appear to work as advertised.

Message 8 of 15

@MadMags Wrote: "so I just bought a new stand from Square ($99) and it fits perfectly now." 

This is exactly what insired this "rant" in the first place.  Why is it so exceptable to pay more money everytime Apple or Square "tweeks" their programming or in this case model size? 

This program and system are billed as a "Plug-n-Play" easy to use system for business. Next they will change the plug on the printer and card readers or scanners so they are no longer compatible.  Not everyone is as lucritive as you who is able to "just bought a new stand" well that makes perfect sense.  Let me just go out and buy a whole new system I am sure it will work then. 

Yep, I'm bitter.

Message 9 of 15

Ahhh. So you still have an 8 track tape player in your car then, huh?

I don't think it's ridiculous at all to expect companies to change their form factors in successive generations.

And "lucritive"? I think you need to look up the meaning (and spelling) of that.

If you run a business, like I do, and you're complaining about spending $99 to give your business a better, more professional look to customers, then I can't imagine it's a very successful one. 

Message 10 of 15
Super Seller

That model number is a 16gb iPad 2 that was released more than 6 years ago, it has received 5 complete iOS updates bringing it to iOS 9.3.5, meaning tons of additional value has been added in functionality over the years.  It has the old 30 pin connection which was replaced 5 years ago.  In technology terms, it is a dinosaur.  The technology (Bluetooth 4.0/blutooth le) didn't even exist when they made the iPad 2 and that is why people can't hook up a Square contactless Reader to it, not because they want you to buy newer stuff. My kids still use it for watching videos and games and what not but it is no longer in the rotation to use for Square, though Square still does work and I will use it on occasion if needed for cash sales.  If it was an android device you would be super lucky to even get one OS update, lots of android devices ship with 2-3-year-old OS that never gets updated.  The Device fragmentation and OS fragmentation in Android are severe and cause so many issues.

As for needing third party software, that depends on what you are trying to do, I run literally millions of dollars in transactions thru 5-7 Square terminals (sometimes only one is running, other times on busy days peak season it can be 7 plus a few phones) and I do not use a single third-party add-on.  The only additional fee I pay square is for marketing because I feel it's worth it rather than exporting email addresses and using a place like MailChimp or whatever.

Technology does change over time.  Printers from a while ago no longer work because they invented USB, so old parallel or scsi devices no longer worked.  HDMI came along and old component cable devices no longer work, and they were replacements for s-video, which was a replacement for RCA cables, which was a replacement for RF cables.  Computer mice no longer hook up via serial port, PS2 was invented, then USB was invented that took the place of PS2, then Bluetooth came along and eliminated the wire altogether. It happens, technology improves and you have to migrate along.

Message 11 of 15
Super Seller

This is a bit beyond the scope of your apple question but I'm sharing it to show how green this side of the valley is and how well Apple supports it's older hardware.

This shows the insane fragmentation happening in android.

Version

Code Name

API

Distribution

2.3.3 – 2.3.7 Gingerbread 10 0.9 percent
4.0.3 – 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich 15 0.9 percent
4.1.x Jelly Bean 16 3.5 percent
4.2.x 17 5.1 percent
4.3 18 1.5 percent
4.4 KitKat 19 20.0 percent
5.0 Lollipop 21 9.0 percent
5.1 22 23.0 percent
6.0 Marshmallow 23 31.2 percent
7.0 Nougat 24 4.5 percent
7.1 Nougat 25 0.4 percent

This is why it is so hard to program for all the variables in android, not only the OS is different but 75% of the Android phones are low power low-end phones.  When 63% of your user base is running an OS that is more than 3 years old and 33% is more than 4 years old it makes writing apps for every single flavor and power of android real hard to impossible.  There are thousands of different models of android phones released a year vs the 4 or 5 from Apple.

With iOS 79% of iDevices are on the current version of iOS (compared to android's 4.9%) and 16% are on iOS 9, the remaining 5% are on iOS 8.  the large share in iOS 9 is due to iDevices not being able to be upgraded past iOS 9 (like iPad 2 & 3).

Message 12 of 15

@MadMags My first thought is, what a jerk! But that would be rude and insensitive.  As for spelling - this archaic programing, for this forum, does not have even a basic spell check nor does it alert for typos.  Just one more example of the sub-par programming we are offered.

Oh, and yes, I do still own an 8-track! Works just as good as the day I bought it.

Message 13 of 15

@Feedback2016 I read through some of your feedbacks and saw that you are spot on with the issues of square pos which I'm also beginning to encounter. I was wondering if you found a better system?

Message 14 of 15

@ChampionGourmet every few months I check back on the threads to see if anything has changed.  Mostly it's the same ol' thing. I was happy to see after the uproar about apple disabling our devices they stopped screwing with our older ipads. 

The reason I am writing you is because I saw the new Square Register in use this weekend for the first time. I love it, I actually think this is a huge improvement and unlike MOST of Apples / Squares updates for fake "newest models" this is actually a vast improvement to the technology.  I have not had time to research it or actually use it, however, I have added it to my chrismas wish-list. It is the first time I have aver seen an improvement to the square system and I have been a client from day one. Again, no real endorsement as I have not used it personally, but I have hopes.

Message 15 of 15