x

Split a single item

Split a single item

Allow us to split an item on a check. This used to be annoying, now my staff are using it as a way to steal from me. I will be switching to Toast if there is not a fix soon. This SIMPLE feature that is basic on every other restaurant POS has been requested for years. 

1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: How do I split a single item on a customer check?

Hello @ShellBellFL4🙂

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this isn't on our road map right now. I'll make sure to share this suggestion with the Point of Sale Team. 

You can split the check by entering a custom amount, but you'd probably need a calculator on hand to make sure each customer is charged correctly. You would have to divide the cost of the bottle on the calculator. Then apply the amount to each split payment. 

42 Comments

I know this feature has been requested by others. Is there any news on when it may be available?

Being able to split a single item (like a bottle of wine) among guests when they are splitting a check is an important feature for any dining establishment selling alcohol.

Let us know!

We run a restaurant and we have this issue happen a lot.

Two customers come in, one orders a sandwich another orders a wrap and they want to split an order of fries.

I know how to split the checks evenly, but how do I split a single item such as the fries?

Super Seller

there is not a way to split an item like that, but you could create an item variation called half fry and make 2 transactions rather than splitting one.

By chance is there a Split Item feature in the works? 

In the meantime, are there other work arounds? 

We sell bottles of wine where 2 or 3 people will want to split the cost, but then order other things so just splitting a check total is not feasible.

Thank you!

Hello @ShellBellFL4🙂

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this isn't on our road map right now. I'll make sure to share this suggestion with the Point of Sale Team. 

You can split the check by entering a custom amount, but you'd probably need a calculator on hand to make sure each customer is charged correctly. You would have to divide the cost of the bottle on the calculator. Then apply the amount to each split payment. 

Really hope this becomes an option if you want restaurants to keep using this system.

Super Seller Alumni

One work-around would be to make a discount of 50%, then charge the customers 2 orders of fries, each with the 50% discount.  This wouldn't work if you're tracking your fries inventory though as you would be taking 2 orders of fries out of inventory instead of just one, and it's extra steps on each order which would slow checkout down.

Hi Chad, is this an option in the Restaurant version of Square? If so, I need to switch over.

Admin

Hey @robsrockindogs! With Square Restaurants you can split items into separate checks, but you can't spit a single item over multiple checks.

There's more information about check management with Square for Restaurants in our Support Center and there is general informaiton about Square for Restaurants in the Town Square blog. 

I hate not been able to do this, we have a small Mexican restaurant and every single of our tables orders Queso and they all share it so at the end they want to split the amount so that’s a nightmare for us because in a college town not everyone wants to pay for their friends Queso.