x

Is there a way to set up automatic discounts, such as for happy hours?

Is there a way to set up automatic discounts such as for happy hours that will be applied automatically during a set time frame or under any other conditions? Thanks.

Message 1 of 145
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Update: Automatic Disounts are now available for Square Point of Sale! 🎉  

So if you want to set up a happy hour or if you need to create a limited-time discount pop over to this Product Update post for details: Automatic Discounts for Square Point of Sale app or visit the Support Center for step-by-step instructions to create automatic discounts.

You can also schedule happy hours with the Square for Restaurants app. 🎉  

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.

View Best Answer >

Message 141 of 145
144 REPLIES 144
Beta Member

I 100% agree with this and given the amount of time that everyone has been complaining about this and the number of complaints along with the lack of serious action taken by the product development team to remedy discounting has forced us to abandon Square and Square Register in favor of a more robust POS system.  I guess that $500k+ in CC processing we were doing isn't enough to motivate them to fix it. Too bad as we really liked the simplicity of the interface.

Message 85 of 145

Were thinking of changing, too. Can you share which platform you’re now using? I’ve been patient for a year but my patience has worn out as well as my confidence because if it takes them this long to figure how to do discounts then I’m not confident the product. 

Message 86 of 145

I can not recommend the POS I am currently using, "Dinerware", currently owned by Heatland Payment Systems. I am looking at Square because I need to transition away from the product after almost 5 years of use. There are numerous issues, but the main drive behind the shift is due to a poor support model and a new service-based pricing structure that puts its cost well above that of more robust competitve products. It has never been a perfect fit, there doesn't appear to be any development occurring with the product outside of maintenance, and it's always felt resource-intensive for the little demand we place on it.

There is so much to like about Square, so much potential, that I have not abandoned all hope just yet. I need to take a long look to see just what 3rd party options exist for tweaking discounts, and also what opportunities exist via the API to implement my own solution. I'm willing to put a little effort in to make it work if a secure, reliable solution can be implemented until the Square team can get their poop in a group and finish development on this critical piece of their sortware. 

Message 87 of 145
Alumni

Thanks for this really thorough feedback @Michigan_Beer! I've shared your post with our team that handles discounts. It's especially useful for them to get a use case like the one you shared when thinking about how to approach adding features. I also saw your post about Register, and will be adding some thoughts from the team there too! Thanks again. 

Message 88 of 145
Beta Member

Yes, they clearly don’t care. Im

rwady to take my 600k in processing elsewhere. Please tell us what platform you are moving towards, I quite sure some salesman/company would love to have all our business. 

Message 89 of 145

we are interested in switching processors as well. So let us know on the new platform as well.

Message 90 of 145

I'm afraid I'm not in a position to be able to recommend anything. Most of the appeal of Square is the simplicity of integrated processing and the one-size-fits-most design. Once you move away from this concept, it gets complicated quickly. Just shopping for a credit card processor is enough to make an otherwise strong person weep and want to go live on a remote mountaintop in isolation for the rest of their life. POS options are varied, confusing, and not cheap. Contracts, service agreements, support agreements, proprietary hardware requirements - Again, it's not long and you're searching for a Sherpa to lead you to a mountain peak that you can call home. This is coming from a guy that's been mucking about with computers since 1980 or so and has spent a fair bit of time in retail as well...

The only thing I can compare Square to, and this is NOT a recommendation, is Clover POS. Clover is a proprietary hardware/POS/processing package that is offered by First Data, a major credit card processor. You can purchase the system through First Data, through a local reseller, or through limited retail locations like Sams Club. Whoever you buy the hardware through provides (through First Data --- it's complicated) your credit card processing. Your system is locked in to that entity. If you buy your system through Sams, then decide you want to do your processing through a local reseller instead, you have to re-purchase all of your hardware from that reseller! There are contracts involved, support is extra, features are limited. All of the Clover hardware is proprietary, meaning you have to buy from an authorized reseller. With Square you can use iOS, Android, or Square hardware for your main device, as well as standard PC-based printers, cash drawers, etc.

I'm not going to discourage you from leaving Square. It sounds like they've had ample opportunity to address this important issue and have so far failed to do so. Just be aware that you've got your work cut out for you. Seek advice from similar businesses in your area if you're able, or have friends/relatives ask around for you if you're in a competetive market that doesn't allow you to inquire yourself. Unfortunately, figuring out which POS/processor is right for you is far more difficult than it should be most of the time.

Message 91 of 145
Alumni

Hi! I'm Elaine, a Product Manager here at Square. I'm working on a project around discounts and welcome your input - if you would be willing to talk me through how you use discounts today and how you'd like to use discounts or provide some feedback to designs, I'd be thrilled to talk to you. You can book a time on my Square Appointments site here.

Also - if you would be interested in our beta program please let me know and I will add you to my list.  

@Michigan_Beer@Bajas@ctkach@slainte@Barowner@twinkelman@Kpay

Message 92 of 145

I had this conversation over a year ago with you guys.  Its pretty simple. Setup an option on dashboard where you can adjust the times for each menu.  

Menu 1 (Start time.. End Time.. Active on certain days of the week or all week during set times) Can be weekdays or whatever you chose.

Menu 2 (start time.. End time..  Active on certain days of the week or all week during set times) Can be weekends or whatever you chose

Menu 3 (start time.. End time..  Active on certain days of the week or all week during set times) Can be happy hour or whatever you chose.

Have each menu be active during those set times. 

I will be happy with just that.

Simon

Message 93 of 145
Alumni

Thanks for sharing the context and what you need @Bajas

Message 94 of 145

@Bajas' feature request is exactly what we need as well.  We need to disable one item and enable an alternate item every night at 11pm.

Message 95 of 145
Alumni

@hyperspace80s - would it also work for you to schedule a discount that applies automatically at the time you set to a specific item?

If not, can you tell me more about what you need to accomplish by disabling an item?  

Message 96 of 145

We have a few coffee shops and Happy Hour pricing would be great. Every day we need certain items to switch to disounted pricing between the hour of 2-3 PM. Sounds so simple and every other POS offers it, have no idea why Square has refused to offer this for the past few years. 

Message 97 of 145
Alumni

Hey @r0ckets11 - Have you looked into the new Square for Restaurants? With it, you can now set up discounts and flash sales such as Happy Hour, BOGO, or Friends & Family.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 98 of 145
Alumni

@Bajas - follow up question for you - 

Is your goal to automatically schedule a specific menu? For example, you have a brunch menu that is only available on the weekends. When it is active, items are available through the POS for order; when it is inactive, items are not available. 

OR

Are you looking for something like a happy hour discount? For example, all beers are $1 off M - Th from 5 - 7 pm. When a beer is ordered in this time, then a $1 discount is applied automatically. 

Message 99 of 145

@elaine_p

We are looking for a menu that is active during specific times.

For example:

Menu Name: Happy Hour Menu 

Menu Start Time : Friday 4pm  

Menu End Time: Friday 7pm

This menu will override all other menues during the set times of Friday 4pm-7pm. It will go back to normal menu at 7:01pm etc.

Message 100 of 145

Appointment scheduled, and I would be interested in the beta program if you would be so kind as to add me to the list, please.

Message 101 of 145
Beta Member

Has there been any movement or talk on this topic? I really need a Happy Hour discount from open till 7PM. I have a button for Happy Hour now, but it's a b!tch having to adjust inventory levels and rely on bartenders to remember what time it is when they are busy ringing in drinks. Any help on this feature would be MOST appreciated.  

Message 102 of 145
Alumni

Hi @Bar901! We're actively working on it, and understand it's painful. I should have updates to share soon.

Message 103 of 145

Anyone know how to set up time based discounts such as for a daily happy hour? I know I can set them up as price variants but would like it to happen automatically. 

Message 104 of 145
Super Seller

currently, there is not a way to do this automatically in Square POS.  But there is a website that can do this for you using the secure Square API.  he has 2 programs, one for time discounts that costs a mere $5 a month and a free one that is a category price changer.

price change manager

category percent changer

Message 105 of 145