x
Super Seller Alumni

Refunding a transaction - still showing in my sales numbers??

I entered a transaction wrong - it was paid for by check and I needed to remove it and enter if correctly.

I did the refund and re-entered it.

However, my sales are now showing a positive "sale" from both transactions and it's messing with my yearly sales.

Does it take a day or two for this to fix itself? I don;t want to show double the sales.

thanks

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Super Seller Alumni

The original sale will still be in your reports for Gross sales however you will see the return of the sale in your Refunds column.  So your gross will show two sales, minus your return column with equal one sale reflected in your net sales column.

Message 2 of 16

I have a similar issue.  However, the refund is showing in the transactions list, but when I run a sales report, the refund does not show.  How can I get that fixed so that my net sales show correctly?  Why isn't the refund showing?

Message 3 of 16
Admin

Thanks for your post, @hps and welcome to the seller community.

I'm sorry for the confusion—that sounds like it shouldn't be happening.🧐 To be sure that we're on the same page, which report is not showing the refund as expected? If you'd like, our CS Team can take a deeper dive into your account and review specifics. Feel free to get in touch with them directly or reply here with the steps that lead up to the discrepancy. Happy to have a closer look!

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 4 of 16

There were two refund transactions in Feb on 10th and 20th for same amount. Both transactions show in transaction report, but when I run a sales report for the month, only one is showing for the category it is in, not both. 

Message 5 of 16
Admin

Thanks for your reply, @hps. When looking at the Sales Summary and Transaction reports for any given period of time, you'll want to refer to the "Total Collected" row in the Sales Summary for refund amounts. Does that help reconcile?

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 6 of 16

I must be doing something wrong because our monthly sales doesn't take into account the refunds.  For example, I've made a sale of a product then given a refund, yet the sale still shows in the total monthly sales.  How can I set things up so that those refunded sales don't show up in the total?

Message 7 of 16
Admin

@CycleTransition I moved your post to this relevant thread to help address your question!

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 8 of 16

Hello there. I have a similar question... when there's a refund that includes a tip, is the tip also deducted from the tip summary for the day or do we have to do it manually?

Message 9 of 16
Square Community Moderator

Hey there, @JAMESBKLYN -

Welcome to the Community! 

The tip will show as a line item on the transaction, so whenever you process the refund it's on its own. If you refund the whole transactions, the tip will remove from your Tip total on your reports. 

Please let me know if you have any other questions.  

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 10 of 16

I use square for my restaurant.  sometimes we have to do a refund during service because of a charge in error.  when I run my daily report, my category sales include the items that we issued a refund for.  Is there any way to have the report not include refunded items?  We need these numbers to be correct for tax purposes.

thanks

Message 11 of 16
Admin

@dp1 Take a look at the explanations provided above on this thread for why those refunds show on your sales report and how you can look at them in a way that makes more sense.

Let us know if you have other questions!

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 12 of 16

I'm sorry but this doesn't help.  In order for me to get an accurate account of what my category sales are, I have to get out a calculator every time we have a charge in error. The corrected amounts have to go in a spread sheet so we have accurate totals at the end of the month.  I can't be the only one who needs to know what they actually sold in a month.

Message 13 of 16
Alumni

@dp1 - Yikes! Sounds like pain dealing with those spreadsheets. 

It might be best if our Support Team take a look at your account so they can comb through your category sales reports and spot any discrepancies. They'll be able to escalate your case further to Engineering  if need be. 

squ.re/contact 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 14 of 16

thank you, I look forward to hearing what they say

Message 15 of 16

We use category sales to calculate total number of skaters entering our rinks.  So the category sales report is the only way to count numbers and if we have a refund we would expect the number of skaters to go down based on the refund.  What we see is no change.  Can you provide me with a admin passcode to go in and correct the report.  Example: clerk receives a check but put it in as cash and catches the mistake and then refunds the amount and puts it back in as a check.  The number of skaters doubled on the report so instead of 83 we now have 166 skaters.  What you have said above does not allow us to get an accurate category report for the day.  I don't want to have to keep a sheet of paper with all the refunded skaters and subtract it from the square category report.

Message 16 of 16