x
Square

Disputes just got easier

Launching today for iOS users, the disputes process can now be fully managed from your mobile device!

Here’s how it works:

Step 1. Notification of a dispute: If a dispute is initiated by one of your customers, you will see a notification (see example below) on the far right of the Reports tab in your Square Point of Sale app. There, you’ll be able to find:
- A description of why your customer has initiated the dispute
- The information the bank needs to make its decision on the case
- Information on the status of your dispute, which we’ll update for you when the bank gets back to us
- The deadline for sending us your information

Step 2. Take action: Once you have reviewed the details of the dispute, you will have an option to accept the dispute and refund the cardholder the full amount, or challenge the dispute with supporting documents.

Step 3. Review results: As soon as you send us your transaction information, we’ll forward it on to your customer’s bank. It’s up to it to resolve the case, and it can take up to 90 days for the bank to inform us of its decision. We’ll notify you of the ruling by email, your disputes dashboard, and the Square Point of Sale app (within the Reports tab).

If you use an iOS device, the experience looks like this:

Disputes Email Animation_short.gif

For Android users, it will look something like this:

android-disputes.gif

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Super Seller

Excellent, this should help speed up the process for those who have to fight disputes.  

Message 2 of 17

Hope it works better than the email process we had with our one and only dispute. Square paid because we had never had a dispute. We provided necessary supporting documents to prove the customer requested my store to pickup items he bought from the FDLE at auction. I gave them copies of his invoice and authorization to pickup the items. The shipment was delivered to his address and signed by him.  He said he did not know what the charges were for and disputed them. Square should NOT have let the bank give him back the money paid for services. When something like this happens with American Express we the Shipper always win because we can provide proof. Square was good to me but I hate for a business to give up money to someone that can't remember they bought something at an auction???

Message 3 of 17
Beta Member

Access on the app is appreciated. Fraudulent disputes will still be awarded to the customer. Viewing on the app versus the online interface does not change the fact that Square does not stand-up to the customer’s credit card company. They simply submit the info you provide and later notify you that the customer’s credit card company decided that you lost. There is no appeal process or common sense involved.

Message 4 of 17
Super Seller

no matter what credit card processor you have the customer's bank is the only arbiter.  Square or first data or whoever can only turn in the paperwork you have provided to the Customer's bank and answer any questions that they might ask, but it isn't like there is a day in court where Square can present your evidence to the jury.  Square can't just say you're wrong we are keeping the money.  Disputes have been around since the first days of Credit Cards and will be for a long time to come.

luckily Square doesn't charge any fees for chargebacks like PayPal and other companies do.

Message 5 of 17
Beta Member

I’ve submitted matching GPS logs of my phone and car to prove that I worked at a project and still had the labor payment reversed. The same customer also claimed not to have received items that I supplied GPS pictures of the actual items in their house, the proof of purchase and communication of the customer acknowledging that they were installed and I was still successfully charged back for items delivered. 

Fortunately most people are honest, but when you encounter those that know how to work the system Square does not have a proper conversation with the bank submitting the chargeback. 

Message 6 of 17

The dispute that was taken from me was a be $9. They took it right out of my money square did. The other credit card company just decided yes it's my fault square didn't offend me at all, and just took my $89.

Message 7 of 17

You are absolutely true. I received dispute and, after I sent the proof, square decided to hold the money. When I called to provide more proof, like texts of the order processed and delivered, they said; it is too late. You can’t added more proofs.

I told them I spoke with the client and he admitted his mistake over the phone but he didn’t put the stop dispute to the bank and Square said; basically, yes you are right but I don’t care. 

Message 8 of 17

it's good that now we merchants have the opportunity to dispute, why as a result of a client without shame I had problems with Square, it was an unfair claim since we stylists have no way to receive back the service already offered, this Client I steal all my effort, hair extensions and my time.

Message 9 of 17

About dam time, even when I try to refund my client out of a mutual understanding, you all take theee weeks to return my client his money.  This has happened twice to me, my clients are thinking I didn’t do the refund because you all are holding that money making interest on it or something, but dam you all make a simple process difficult.  How am I suppose to explain to my client that his 5k is in process but it takes three weeks for you all to process it.  From now on, if I need to refund someone or I decide the on my own the job is too dangerous or the possibility of damage is too great I will pay the client in cash or check and take the hit on the fees.  Besides the crazy fees on larger transactions and this refunding method, I like Square, but man you made me look real bad like I was a liar, not cool at all.

Message 10 of 17

Excellent addition! I've encountered several customer disputes that were totally baseless and without foundation. In summary, both Square and myself got screwed!

In each of those cases, I provided and the customer received they ordered. In these cases, the WIFE ordered the services and then the HUSBAND  disputed the charge shortly after his WIFE ordered the service ... unfortunately it was too late to stop delivery of the services charged, as the product was already shipped!

I have no problem with a customer disputing a service, but I have a big problem with not being able to provide legitimate arguments supporting why this was a ligitimate charge, and one for which the customer DID receive the products that they ordered. I only want the opportunity to set the record straight. Previously, that was not possible when the customer utilized a "chip" card that was not read by a card reader, and instead taken as a over the phone type order.

I'm glad to hear Square has taken steps to correct this problem!

Message 11 of 17

When will there be an opportunity for a business owner to dispute against a customer? 

I have a non-payment that is over 100 days past due. I have called Square about this and was told that there is nothing that Square can do. 

We should be able to dispute non-payments with their bank as well.

Message 12 of 17

I own a Thai and Japanese restaurant in an area where majority of the population prefers fried chicken and collard greens except for a few high end cultured families and military base families who are exposed to different cultures.  Because of several expireinces, we decided to post a note on the entrance board that says "we do not refund due to lack of acquired taste"!!

A couple of months back, a customer ordered platters of sushi and sashimi and ended up not wanting to pay for the sashimi because he stated not liking the taste of raw fish.  We tried everything to save his business but he did not want to hear any of the solution we offered and told us he will pay but he will dispute as he is allowed to.  I called his credit card company and Square to report it on the same day and told them to document the report.

True enough, I received the dispute and called Square about my previous report.  Lo and behold, nothing was recorded when I assumed that Square should have automatically submitted my report to the bank as a documented report.  I'm still waiting for the outcome of this dispute and I'm hoping that Square has  a better way of protecting us,

Message 13 of 17

me too!  I did not have the chance to fight the dispute either! Square just pay that they said they sent it to me but they never did.

Message 14 of 17

Hello 

Who on our team can see dispute requests? Which Roles? Or is it only specific to individuals? Thank you

Message 15 of 17
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @GMLGLL 👋 Thanks for reaching out here. 

Disputes are view-able from the Online Dashboard with the Reporting Tab. Team Members who have been given access to view reporting data will have the ability to view Disputes within the Dashboard. 

You can edit your Team's individual permissions by walking through these steps.

Let me know if you have any questions! 

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 16 of 17

I made my sell correct from DT Nashville to gas station waiting time and drop off home

Message 17 of 17