x

I’m being asked by discover to run a test transaction to update their system. Is this a scam

I received a call from someone that claims to be from discover card. They say that they need to update their system to show which card processor I am using. They want me to run a test transaction with a card number that they provide for $1. Is this legitimate or a scam. I have already run a discover transaction recently that went through 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Super Seller Alumni

Don't do it. It is a scam!!!

Message 2 of 5

This is not a scam. If you go to https://www.discovernetwork.com/en-us/business-resources/test-your-terminal, you can see the steps to test your terminal. This test is to ensure that you do not have any issue processing Discover Cards. I called their fraud department and it is legitimate.

Message 3 of 5
Alumni

Jumping in here to remind all our sellers that Square accepts all cards, so no need to do this if you're not comfortable with it! But thanks for chiming in @Inthrutheout!

Message 4 of 5
Beta Member

I've tried the test a couple of times with different discover test numbers and am getting FAILED -- is that because of a decline or is there actually a problem?

Message 5 of 5