x

Why do some cards not work on either chip/tap or swipe?

Tap turned OFF on customer card. Won't work even when inserted. 

The customers use their debit card at other locations.

This has happened to 6 sales lost so far.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Super Seller

@Cindy6, Are you in Canada?  Interac Flash enabled Debit cards can only be tapped for less than $100 currently with the deals Square has been able to negotiate so far in Canada.

Message 2 of 12

So far my experience is none of the debit cards inserted works, Not even mine.  It's just tap that it accepts.   Any suggestions? I've emailed this info in to the Square Team, and would love to be able to address this sooner than later.. thx !

Message 3 of 12
Super Seller

no debit card will work when inserted. Interac Flash-enabled Debit cards can only be tapped for less than $100, no dipping or swiping.

Message 4 of 12

and is there a reason for this ?  and will it be updated to accept inserted debit cards at some point? As most tap cards have a limit of $100 in a day..  Easy for individuals to spend this before they get to my place for a session.   thx!

Message 5 of 12
Super Seller

That is as far as Square has been able to negotiate debit card acceptance in Canada.  It took quite a few years to get that contract,  there is no timeline as to when or if more card types will be accepted.

Message 6 of 12

I am confused as a friend did say her square device does accept debit cards inserted.  I've ask her to confirm this.  Either way, thank you for your time ๐Ÿ™‚

Message 7 of 12
Super Seller

Outside of Canada yes they do work inserted.  In the USA we can swipe, tap, dip any and all debit and credit cards, but we are at a financial disadvantage as it costs us the same for Debit and Credit but you only pay 10ยข for the debit transaction that would cost us $2.75 in fees.  

Square is always trying to negotiate new and better deals but so industries do not like being disrupted.

Message 8 of 12

This is what happens to me thank you for the info. Iโ€™m in Canada and i try the square because I saw it work perfectly in the US I didnโ€™t think it wonโ€™t work here.

Message 9 of 12

This is Also happening to me. The amounts are under 100$, and only for specific card types, and not across the board for those cards. As in may work for 1st person but not next. Specifically some , but not all Credit Union debit cards, Tangerine, Scotia Scene debit, scotia debit. Patients are becoming annoyed. Their cards are working elsewhere. 

Message 10 of 12
Admin

@Cbonaus Hmm that does sound strange. Are you seeing a declined message in the app when trying to accept these cards? If so, have you been able to ask any of your patients to contact their card-issuer to see why the card was declined?

๏œ๏ธ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 11 of 12

Every debit card I have tried to swipe has been declined

Message 12 of 12