x

How do I set up a SSL for my custom domain?

I have a store setup at store.example.com. The storefront uses a CNAME to point to  squareup.com/store/examplestore

One of my visitor's pointed out that I don't have an SSL certificate for checkout. Is there a way to fix that, or am I stuck?

Message 1 of 57
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: How do I set up a SSL for my custom domain?

I hope I can help clarify @Vivosity!

Because your custom domain is owned by another company, the SSL certificate can't be added by Square onto their domain.

However, rest assured when your customer adds items to the cart and go to the checkout screen, they will still be redirected to https://squareup.comdomain with SSL during the checkout flow.

There definitely seems to be some confusion about when to use Let's Encrypt. I checked on this for you and at this time Let's Encrypt is only used by developers using Square's Transaction API. Developers can refer to this TLS and HTTPS technical documentation for more information. I've updated the post above too to reflect this. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Thanks for your post, @capsci, and welcome to the Seller Community! 💯

At this time we do not provide SSL certificates but you can get one through Let’s Encrypt for free. Hope this helps get you in the right direction.

Update: Let's Encrypt can be used with Square's Transaction API, it cannot be used with Square's Online Store.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 57
56 REPLIES 56

Are there any updates from Square support to offer CSR signing for this? It's much needed if busines would like to continue using the square stores with their own url

Message 22 of 57
Admin

Hi @andreal, Helen here from the Square Seller Community team. I don't have any updates to share on this request I'm afraid. We know it's important to you and our Online Store team is still tracking this request. As soon as we have any updates we'll notify everyone in this thread.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 23 of 57

Thank you for the updates.  This is also my issue. the bigger problem is that potential customers just click right off because of the  un-secure flag. Hope they fix it soon. 

Thank you and have a good day.

Message 24 of 57

3 years later and square still has no fix for this.  Wish I would have read this thread before paying for an upgraded plan.  Yikes. What a nightmare.  Canceling today. I've tried every way possible to contact square for a refund of the purchase I just made.  Any ideas on how to get a hold of them or do they just screw you out of a refund?

Message 25 of 57

I migrated to Square from WooCommerce WordPress.  Avoiding WordPress like the plague, I moved to Square in hopes to provide my clients with better security. 

I am use to managing a slew of website that utilize Let'sEncrypt certificates and I am totally disappointed after paying for a year ahead of time with Square, to find out they don't support this in their webstore?  Must I really implement an API on my own server and secure it that way?  Really?

I have the certificate files generated and registered, but Square Online doesn't provide a means to install these.  Having known this I probably wouldn't have suggested we go this route.  I guess I can pay the extra premium for marked up Square domains, and pay the transfer fees for my own provided domain.  I'd hate to do so to find out Square Online doesn't support domains provided by them?!

I was so excited to move to Square.. Now I'm totally disappointed.   

I welcome any feedback and suggestions... Better yet,  I welcome Square to provide this functionality for users.

Message 26 of 57
Square Community Moderator

Hi @KimLiv 👋 Thanks for reaching out! 

Square and Weebly sites automatically include the SSL for the website for free. It is not possible to use a third party SSL certificate with your Square Online site. 

Can you post a link to the site so we can take a look at the current SSL settings? 

Message 27 of 57

Thank you for your response, Bernadettea,

I made things simple by transferring the domain name to Square. 
After transfer finalized, I re-published the site and had the security certificates automatically setup and working fine.  

Message 28 of 57

Glad to hear, @KimLliv 😊 Please let us know if there's anything else we can help you out with!

p.s. Welcome to the Seller Community 🎉

Message 29 of 57

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Google Domain & SSL

I am looking at purchasing a domain and pointing it to Square Online Store. I have one now pointing to Square but the website itself says it is not SSL secure. If I purchase a domain through Google does the Google domain remove the SSL not secure error? The domain is currently setup with 1&1. From the other posts I've read Square isn't setup to accept SSL from third party providers but am curious if going the Google Route resolves this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Message 30 of 57
Admin

Thanks for your post @rt33surplus. I believe this won't be resolved with a Google custom domain I'm sorrry. I'll share your request with the Online Store team. 

I'm adding your post to this thread where we've shared more information and workarounds that I hope are helpful. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 31 of 57

[This post was merged from the thread originally titled: "How can I make my website secure?"]

I recently transferred my domain to square (about a week ago). But the problem is my website is not secure. There is an exclamation point instead of the lock. How can I correct this?

Message 32 of 57
Admin

Welcome to the Seller Community, @Lillie! It looks like another seller asked about this in another thread: How do I set up a SSL for my custom domain?

Have a look at my and Helen's replies and let us know if any questions remain. Hope this helps get you in the right direction.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 33 of 57

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: https issues

I have customers refusing to order from my site because of the S missing and them feeling that my site isnt safe. What is the general workaround for that?

Message 34 of 57
Admin

@Msprity I moved your post over to another thread that has a few workarounds

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 35 of 57

What is the workaround? is there still no fix for this? 

Message 36 of 57
Admin

@plankton

At this time our partnership with Weebly allows us to host and manage your Online Store. Since we're moving toward Weebly being our only online store option, we won't be making updates to the old Square Online Store.

The SSL issue should not be problematic in the new Online Store and would invite you to see if it's a better option for your buyers' experience.

kellyj
Technical Program Manager: AI
Square Inc
Message 37 of 57

When can we expect Square to discontinue the online store all together?

Message 38 of 57
Admin

@plankton

We do not have an official sunset date on the Square Online Store, but our Customer Success team can get you moved over to Weebly easily if you'd like to look into that.

kellyj
Technical Program Manager: AI
Square Inc
Message 39 of 57

We just moved our online store FROM Weebly back to a Square Online Store because Weebly wasn't able to sync inventory with our Square register, and now our customers are getting hit with this "Insecure Site" wall when they visit our online store.

Right now, we're paying for two services, and neither are functional for small businesses. When are they going to be fixed?

Message 40 of 57

I have the new Square online store with Weebly and I’m still getting the 

“TLS certificate does not match the host name” error. Is there a resolution for this now? 

Message 41 of 57

Hi @AnAwkwardSoul!

Can you tell us more about what browser you were using? 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 42 of 57