x

Trying to decide between Square Terminal or Square Stand

I am trying to decide between the square terminal and the square stand. I just got an IPad (I have unlimited data) and have seen a vendor who has one. They love it. The new Square Terminal looks promising but I wasn't sure about how it connects to internet. Many places where I sell do not have WI-FI. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Super Seller

I would go with the Square Stand.  We have 3 and love them.  The terminal, in my opinion, isn't suited for a store with larger amounts of inventory or speed as you have to search for every item to sell it rather than choosing it from a touch-based pre-laid out grid of items.  I think in the right situation the terminal is nice but I see way too many limitations to it to work in our situation.  The terminal is really nice in that it is a self-contained printer and terminal and chip reader.  Now farmer's markets where we literally pick from 3 items the terminal would be ideal over iPad minis with chip readers in an L7 case.  To me, the biggest drawback is simply the interface which is basically the same as on a phone.

So it depends on what you are doing is really part of the choosing process.

Message 2 of 5
Admin

Hello @Bethfromtexas and thanks for your help @VanKalkerFarms

I just wanted to add that the Terminal does not have data built-in so you do have to connect it to WiFi to process card payments (be it WiFi at your location or WiFi from a mobile hotspot). You can use Offline Mode to swipe magstripe cards with the Terminal, but you need to have a WiFi connection to process chip cards.

And one more thing to add — there is also a handy Support Center article comparing each Point of Sale system: Compare Square Register, Stand and Terminal. I hope this helps! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 3 of 5

Thankyou so much for the info and article. That helps make my decision so much easier!

Message 4 of 5
Admin

You're welcome! If any other questions come up let us know! 😀

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 5 of 5