Scholar

New cookie banner - can we change it?

Hi,

Suddenly, this cookie banner is appearing on my site: ‘This site uses cookies to personalize your experience, analyze site usage, and offer tailored promotions. www.youronlinechoices.eu’. (I've now changed the URL to point to my own privacy policy page.)

This isn’t true, as far as I know – my site doesn’t personalise any visitor’s experience, and doesn’t offer any kind of promotions. I definitely don’t want visitors to think it does either of these things.

Also, the rest of my site uses ‘s’ spellings for words such as ‘personalise’ and ‘analyse’, and I’m in a country where ‘analyse’ is always spelt that way. As I’m running an editing and proofreading service, it’s important to have consistent spelling that’s seen as 'correct' in this country.

Could you please give us some way of customising the message?

Thanks,

Graham

11 REPLIES
Community Manager

Re: New cookie banner - can we change it?

Any Weebly site will use cookies for a variety of purposes related to the function of the site, which is why the banner is there even if you are not actively trying to collect info from site visitors yourself. I'm not sure right now whether we will allow customization of the banner beyond the URL, although it's something I will pass on to our product team.

- Adam
Community Manager
Scholar

There also isn't an option to disable/customize the banner and the opt-out element in case you provide your own techniques...

Kind Regards,
GFX | Productions™

We are a Branding Design Company!
We help you to get your idea's in your head, to get real....

Official Website: gfx-pro.net
YouTube: youtube.com/c/gfxpronettm
Facebook : fb.com/gfxpronet
Twitter: twitter.com/gfxpronet
Scholar

It's possible to add the possibility to translate the opt-out element in other language please...or an option to personalize it?

Employee Moderator

Hi there. The banner is supposed to update the language based on location. Like Adam said I'm not sure when/if customization will be implemented, but we are definitely providing all the feedback submitted by everyone. b

Employee Moderator

@GrahamH66 @Regulus @gipsie @gfxpronet

Not sure if anyone has noticed, but it looks like there's been some changes made to the Settings page. 

Scholar

Thanks, Bernadette, and thanks to whoever made the change.

There is a problem with it, though: it doesn't show the 'standard' text. So, when someone is using the settings page, they won't know what they're customising, unless they can see it somewhere else. (I'm OK, and so will be anyone else who sees this thread, as the text is in my original post.)

Community Manager

Thanks for the feedback, @GrahamH66. I agree that could make things difficult if you want to make a small change or addition to the language. One thing you can do is visit your site in an incognito window or private window so the banner shows. If you're outside of europe you'll need to change the settings of the banner so it shows for everyone first, though.

- Adam
Community Manager
Scholar

Although I'm OK now, I haven't clicked on 'Accept as solution' yet, as there's still that problem on the settings screen - it doesn't show the default wording, so no one can see what they're customising.

Employee Moderator

I agree you shouldn't mark it as solved yet.