x

Label Printing: Scan and Print Barcode Labels

Beta Member

Label Printing: Scan and Print Barcode Labels

We are a retailer that has over 6,000 SKUs. We have asked for some time if there is an option that can be incorporated into the POS that would allow for us to "Scan and Print". With tons of new items coming in every week, we would love a better option to print out shelf labels, with the easiest option being to scan the new item and print immediately. 

THANKS! 

0 Likes
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Can Square generate SKU numbers?

Hello @GlacierLandings, welcome to the Seller Community! 

This is a great question I'm sure other businesses have. While Square doesn't have a way to auto generate SKU's Shopventory does! Once your products are entered into Shopventory you can run a task where the software will generate a SKU for any item without an assigned SKU. 

I hope this helps! 

103 Comments

"if this is a feature we offer in-house." If? Egads, surely the feedback you have received makes this a slam dunk business decision!

Sorry for that very tardy response. My bad, I solved my own ineptitude!

Admin

Hey @FM, @chefdarin, and @FairfaxStation — I'm going to share your posts with our Product Liaison team. Thank you for taking the time to share; I will be sure to point out how not being able to generate the barcode directly from Square is affecting your ability to do business efficiently.

Please keep in touch as we will circle back here with any updates or solutions that will help streamline your workflow.

Alumni

Hey everyone - thanks for your patience while we worked to build this feature out! With the Square for Retail app, you can now print barcode labels through Square! Check out our Square for Retail New Feature Roundup for more details. 🙌 

THANK YOU!! I can't wait to try it out. Also, the refund to a gift card is a very needed feature - glad to see that on there too. THANKS! 

Has anyone gotten the barcodes to print? I am using a Dymo LabelWriter 450 Turbo, the Dymo 1738595 Barcode labels (3/4 x 2 1/2), but the labels never print the right orientation. Even when I change it between portrait & landscape orientation, they always print horizontal on a vertical label. Help please! Thanks! 

Also, would love it if the Dymo 30334 labels were one of the options for printing - it's a much better shape for us and the info we include on our tags. 

Thanks in advance for any directions for the printing issue! 

p.s. it's printing only the barcode, and none of the text. The text/price shows up on the screen, but the only thing that prints is the barcode.

Admin

Thanks for flagging this @FM! Are you still encountering this issue? If you happen to be using a Windows computer, these troubleshooting tips may help: Windows Troubleshooting.

If that doesn't clear things up, please get in touch with our Support Team — they'll be able to take a deeper dive into this issue for you.

Thanks for responding, Tom. I'm using Mac. I am still having the issue with the Dymo labels/printer combo. For now I've switched to Avery labels in the laser printer, works fine. Will revisit this Dymo issue when I get time to dive into it later. Also, would LOVE to be able to customize the info on the labels, and to have more label size options! One way the development team could do that is to add an "open in Excel" feature (much like you open labels in PDF). That way we can just use that Excel file of the items we need labels for, and print the labels to our specs via the Dymo label software app. Thanks for listening! 

Admin

Thanks for circling back — I'm glad to hear that you were able to find a solution for the time being. I'll be sure to share your post with the proper team members. If anything else comes up, please let us know! And, as always, we're working to make improvements based on seller feedback — keep in touch!