x

Square for Restaurants: Recipe/Ingredient Management

Square for Restaurants: Recipe/Ingredient Management

How has square inventory worked for you? I’m thinking about using it but I worry how it will work with items that use the same ingredients. Ex. Multiple dishes that use chicken. Would this work well with inventory management. If not what have you used that works? Thanks!

1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Feature Request: Bundle items together as a single item, and pull from inventory individually

+1 on this request.

Currently running a retail basic blank apparel store.

I'd like to start selling custom printed T-shirts(both on/offline), while keeping inventory of my blanks.

86 Comments

I have a candles business and is looking for a software that accommodate a growing manufacturing business. Can Square up keep inventory of supplies and merchandise

Square Community Moderator

Hey @Embraced01

I've moved your post over to this existing thread that touches on the Inventory features with Square. 

Also, another Square Seller happens to sell candles as well and had a few inventory posts. 

Hopefully @jda11126 can chime in and lend some helpful tips and insight. 

Is there a way to share one inventory between two separate items? For example, I am selling the same type of item from the same inventory listed separately in attempt to separate a Georgia purchase from any other state. Thanks in advance for your responses.

Super Seller

there is not a way to share inventory between 2 different items.  You could possibly set it up so that it is one item with multiple price variations so one would say Georgia and the other not and you would choose it at checkout.

Thank you @VanKalkerFarms. I will be sure to try that again. The problem I encountered with doing so last time, was that it being one item with variations, the one shipping rate was applied to both items. Which is why I decided to go with two items in hopes of having one inventory. I need to be able to apply accurate shipping rates to orders set to be shipped to locations outside of Georgia, so that I am not losing money on overrated shipping rates by having to pay the difference of the standard rate applied.

For example, a Georgia order on average will be about $30. California $75, that's expensive and a big difference. I am not in a place where I can afford to cover the additional shipping costs over the standard $30 shipping rate applied to the item.

How do you suppose I go about solving this issue?

The only other thing that I can think of is to have one item for Georgia pickup and shipping locations and simply not accept any online out of state orders unless they call in to place their order. But then I risk the possibility Square would flag the account and hold funds to investigate what they would consider suspicious activity because customers wouldn't be placing their own orders.

Thoughts?

Super Seller

customers can call in their own phone orders and you can run their card manually in Square POS just fine.

I'll be honest the shipping and inventory aren't my strong suit as I use neither in our Brick and mortar.  maybe @ryanwanner you have something that could help.

Super Seller

Thanks for the shout out @VanKalkerFarms! 🙂

@leocustoms the shipping question is one that I have banged my head on for quite some time. Unfortunately, Square's online store doesn't have any capability of having a system like ShipStation plug into it to help you with shipping cost calculations. What I ended up doing was setting a base rate of shipping per item instead of per order, so if the customer ordered more than one item they would pay more in shipping. This works for me since I'm only shipping one pound items (coffee! 🙂 so my shipping costs are set at $4 each pound. I may eat a dollar or two here and there, but that's manageable. For a $45 difference like you see this won't work too well.

For your situation, I think the only "easy" way around it is to always charge the higher amount of shipping no matter where you're sending the item.  For Georgia addresses, you can then refund the difference. Just put a note in the item description saying you will do that. This can get scary if your customer is ordering more than one item though.....

If you're using USPS, check on their Regional Rate boxes as well. I don't know how big your items are, but if they fit in a regional box you can potentially save some money. You can order them through your local post office or on the usps.com website.

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: I have 12 glasses to sell. I want to set 3 sep prices.

Hi,

I am selling glasses. I want to set up 3 price points. One for selling a set of 12,  one for selling a set of 6 and one for single items. Do i do this using variants? And if so, how do i show inventory. it is all pulled from the same inventory of 12 glasses.

thank you

Admin

@overthebridge I've added your post to this thread where a few sellers have provided a workaround to manage items and inventory like this. We're still tracking this request! 

@overthebridge @Helen 

Also want to mention that Trunk has kitting features that allows you do this and it integrates with Square! This help article goes over an example that describes your situation perfectly (in the help article, it's called "Quantity packs"): https://help.trunkinventory.com/articles/2217275-creating-smart-bundles-and-kits

To learn more about Trunk: https://www.trunkinventory.com

Thanks, let me know if you have any questions!