x

Can I adjust a sales tax based on the number of items purchased?

I run a bakery in New Hampshire, in thier infinite wisdom, the state decided that if a customer purchases 5 or less items, they pay 9% Meals tax. If a customer purchases 6 or more items, they don't pay any Meals tax. Is there a way to turn off the tax when the total of items reaches 6 of the same category?  (A customer can not purchase two breakfast sandwiches, two coffees and two pastries to avoid the tax. It has to be six of the same category, ie: 6 pastries, 6 coffees etc.)  This was a problem with my last POS system also.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Super Seller

Message 2 of 4

I have the same problem, also in NH. Did you ever figure out a work around?

Message 3 of 4
Admin

Hey @Terrasini and @firedog, thanks for bringing up this tax issue—that does sound a bit cumbersome.😣

I went to check on this and @VanKalkerFarms is correct: an automatic or conditional tax setting as you've described is not available with the Point of Sale app at this time. If you haven't already, you may want to touch base with a tax professional or your local government for best practices.

We do make iterations based on seller feedback. Please do keep in touch for updates and don't hesitate to let us know if you have any other questions.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 4 of 4