x

Register, Stand or Terminal?

I am opening a brick and mortar boutique (single location) and I’m honestly confused on which POS system I should get: register, stand or terminal. I appreciate any advice! Thank you!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Super Seller

This post was updated in 2020, learn more about Square's fees in our Support Center.

For a boutique, honestly, all three would be perfectly fine for you. It really comes down to what is going to work best for you:

• Square Point of Sale on an iPad in a Stand: Rate will be 2.6% + 10¢ per in person transaction. Pluses here is the stand is relatively inexpensive and works with all modern iPads. You can also load Square for Retail there if you're so inclined.
  • Square Register:  Rate is 2.6% + 10¢. It doesn't take Square for Retail, but has a great interactive customer screen for loyalty
  • Square Terminal: Rate is 2.6% + 10¢. It's small and won't take up a lot of counter space at all. If your space is at a premium, I recommend this.

Rate wise, you'll have to do some forecasting to figure out your average ticket. If it's a small average, the 10¢ part may add up on you. Larger averages usually negate the additional swipe fee.

Once you decide on the system, everything Square offers is available on any of the devices. For a comprehensive explanation of how Square processing fees work, have a look here: Understanding Our Fees | Square Payments.

Best of luck with your new biz! 🙂

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Super Seller: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!
Message 2 of 3
Super Seller

This post was updated in 2019.

I'll add in that it also depends on how you plan on using the device to sell your items.  are you going to want to click on a picture or description of the item laid out in a grid of the most popular items or search/scroll thru a list of the items you have for sale?  Square Terminal is just a list you can scroll thru or search, but both Square Stand and Square Register have a grid layout.  

We use Square Stands and have 4 or 5 pages laid out in a grid with the items we sell.  My 8-year-old literally checks out customers easily with its simple interface.

Cost of entry,

Square Stand plus an iPad plus a contactless reader is like $400, plus cash drawer and printer (about $300 for the 2).

Square Terminal is $399 (built in printer, plus a USB drawer ($250)

Square Register is $799 plus cash drawer and printer (about $300 for the 2)

In all honesty, I believe the Square stand does its job perfectly and is the cheapest option in the end plus has the lower processing rate on orders under $50.  each has pluses and drawbacks depending on what you want from it.

Message 3 of 3