x

Is there a way to make partial payments towards an invoice?

Is there a way to make partial payments towards an invoice?

Is there a way 2 take partial payments 4 an invoice?

2 Verified Answers
Verified Answer

Re: Is there a way to make partial payments towards an invoice?

Little late with an update here, but wanted to make sure y'all know this is possible with Square Progress Invoices!

You can schedule multiple payments on a Square Invoice by following these steps 

Joe
Verified Answer

Re: Is there a way to make partial payments towards an invoice?

Hi there, @LiaJmt - thanks for adding your voice here and checking in on this feature! Good to hear from you. Same to you, @BIONICONE - welcome! 

You may be looking specifically for our newly introduced Deposit Feature for Invoices. This will also allow you to create a single invoice to track multiple payments and reduce the amount of time you have to spend reconciling multiple payments (deposit, follow-up payments) to a single transaction or sale.

Let me know if this is what you're looking for! 

336 Comments

When will this feature be available.. This is really needed.

I just created an item called deposit until it becomes a real thing. 

What does "Product Team Update" mean as the status of this issue?  We seriously need this feature and I don't understand what is taking so long.

We're about to stop using Square all together just out of sheer irritation over this!

Seriously, a 2+ year old thread on this and no solution? Right now my work around is a "deposit" item in my inventory, marked non-taxable, so a customer can make a $300 deposit on a $1000 project (for example). I don't feel right taxing them at that point, though maybe that's what I will need to do. Currently when I ring up the $1000 project with the tax on the full amount I'm recording a split payment of $300 "other" and the balance paid that day, but my new bookkeeper isn't comfortable with this work-around because in her records it looks like I'm receiving payment twice on that $300. I'm looking for other suggestions.

Alumni

Hi @thirstywhale - "Product Team Update" indicates that a member of Square's Product Team has weighed in on this feature request. Rohini, the product manager for invoices, replied to this thread, but it's a bit buried at the moment. I'll repost it here for visibility (below).

Can you also share your use case for partial payments? You might also want to check out the Live Q&A for Invoices Rohini did, which also addresses feature development for invoices. 

From Rohini: 

"Hi everyone! Thank you all for taking time out of your busy schedules to write in and tell us what you need from Square Invoices. I’m a Product Manager for Invoices, and can promise you that I personally read every single one of these messages. They do not go unnoticed, and they do help us to better understand your needs so that we can build a product that works best for you.

I realize that you all have been waiting for us to deliver the ability for Square Invoices to support partial payments, and I’m appreciative of your patience. Our team has been working on this feature for you, but it’s a major overhaul of how Invoices is currently architected in our backend systems. We need to build a new solution that is scalable, secure, and accurately reports all of the transactions within an invoice. Our teams are working as fast as they can in order to get the core components ready, but it will still take some time. Please know that this high priority feature request has not fallen off our roadmap, and as soon as it’s available for beta, I’ll reach out to those of you on the thread for an early preview. Thank you!"

I also would love a partial payment option as I have customers for my Handyman business that pay me for materials upfront or occassionally in smaller payments if the jos was or is going to be a large amount and they can't pay all at once.  I understand I will likely be paying more fees if using Credit card transactions, but sometimes it is by check or cash and for bookkeeping sake it would be simpler than constantly editing and resending if the app automatically accepted and adjusted and resent it for me and them.

Betsy,

Ask your bookkeeper is he/she can consider the 1st payment like we do a gift card.  A customer doesn't pay sales tax until they use the gift card, right?

I too would love this feature.  We have customers we invoice for annual dues and they sometime want to pay part in cash and part on a card.  It is a real inconvenience to work around this situation currently.  Thanks

I can only imagine how much work goes into developing things like this, so I understand we need to have patience! I’m very glad to hear this feature is being worked on. Thanks so much for listening to us, and working to give us what we need. Also thanks to the support team for keeping us in the loop!  🙂

Partial payments has got to be the most requested feature and I understand it takes a lot of infrastructure to implement but, it's been 2 years since this post started. How about an ETA for this feature?