x

Is there a list of Canadian banks/credit unions that can be processed through Square?

Is there a list of Canadian financial institutions debit and credit cards that can be processed via Square?  I've had ATB and other credit union debit & credit cards declined/not supported.  

Message 1 of 8
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

@AFTNails There isn't a list of banks or credit unions but this Support Centre article has a list of card brands that are accepted with Square. So if a customer's credit union card credit card is issued by one of those card brands you should be able to process it.

If a credit card from one of those card brands is declined your customer should contact their bank for more information. Square isn't informed why a card is declined.

And yes, as mentioned by @PinkSpot (thank you!) you can only accept debit cards that have Interac Debit Flash. Keep in mind those payments have a $100 limit and you must use the tap feature of the Contactless and Chip Card reader to process those debit cards. 

I hope this helps but if you have any other questions about using Square let me know! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

I have had the same issue. From what I can gather, the issue seems to be with Credit Unions-and any Debit card that is not supported by Interac Flash.

Message 2 of 8
Admin

Best Answer

@AFTNails There isn't a list of banks or credit unions but this Support Centre article has a list of card brands that are accepted with Square. So if a customer's credit union card credit card is issued by one of those card brands you should be able to process it.

If a credit card from one of those card brands is declined your customer should contact their bank for more information. Square isn't informed why a card is declined.

And yes, as mentioned by @PinkSpot (thank you!) you can only accept debit cards that have Interac Debit Flash. Keep in mind those payments have a $100 limit and you must use the tap feature of the Contactless and Chip Card reader to process those debit cards. 

I hope this helps but if you have any other questions about using Square let me know! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 3 of 8

Thanks for this information.  I was not aware that only contactless/tap enabled Debit cards could be accepted so that clarity will resolve some of my issues.  Important information for clients to know ahead of time for sure.

Message 4 of 8
Admin

You're welcome @AFTNails! We try to make that as clear as possible. Is there another way you think we could share that information? 

I should also add that Visa or MasterCard co-branded debit cards can be accepted but only for online forms of payments like Square Invoices, Virtual Terminal, Square Online Store and Square's API. This is because these cards can be processed online as credit cards. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 5 of 8

I have tried a $1 test with mastercard and visa debit cc.  Both cards were read, then declined.  Went through all troubleshooting steps (including re install) without success

Message 6 of 8

I have had the same issue. From what I can gather, the issue seems to be with Credit Unions-and any Debit card that is not supported by Interac Flash.

Message 7 of 8
Square Community Moderator

Hi @Galen2

Were you using the Contactless + Chip Card Reader to accept these cards? If they're Interac Debit cards, they can only be accepted by using the NFC (Contactless) payment method. 

Message 8 of 8