x

Mobile Orders Using WooCommerce and Square

I've setup my web store on my domain using WordPress, WooCommerce and Square. Everything seems to be working correctly and several test orders I made went through correctly.

However, today someone attempted to order using their mobile device and they could not complete the process. So I tested it on my phone (after checking it on my desktop and verifying that it was still working there) and was unable to complete the process. There is a black bar over the required field "Card Code" and the bar has a Square logo and a person icon on it. My customer is also using an iPhone and they are unable to proceed past entering their billing and shipping address.

I can't find any settings for this but I'm wondering if there's something on Square (or WooCommerce) that I missed. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

V.

Message 1 of 7
2 Best Answers
Super Seller

Best Answer

I checked out your site. I have an iPhone as well so it works for me. 

I know it’ll be a pain but you may want to try a different theme. I’m using the ShopIsle theme which is recommended by Woo as fully compatible. If your theme hasn’t been updated in a while there may be some problems there. I know since February I have seen at least 4 updates to the Woo for Square plugin. I wouldn’t be surprised if some of those changes were layout-based. 

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Super Seller: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!

View Best Answer >

Message 4 of 7

Best Answer

I have fixed this issue and the customer was able to purchase successfully!

It was a theme issue. (I don't know exactly what the issue was, but changing themes fixed it, so it doesn't matter.)

I did try the ShopIsle theme and didn't like it. (Not enough customizations and it lacked the ability to add both products and blog posts to the front page when using the builtin template.)

I then loaded Astra and customized it. Love it!!! Tons of customizing options and it works! (In case that's helpful for anyone else.)

Thanks for your help!

~V

View Best Answer >

Message 6 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Super Seller

I just checked my WooCommerce site and I'm not seeing the issues you're running into, so we can rule out any Woo/Square issue.

It looks like the Woo plugin is on 3.5.3 and the Woo for Square plugin is 1.0.34. Do you have the latest versions of the plugins installed? Also check your theme to make sure it's fully up to date.

The credit card is run in an iframe on your woo site. Do you possibly have any css code that is breaking the mobile version?

Ryan Wanner

Happy Selling!
Message 2 of 7

Hi, ryanwanner,

Thanks for replying when it's so busy!

I just double-checked and seem to be mostly up-to-date: I am running WooCommerce 3.5.3 and Square plugin 1.0.34. My theme (FreeStore) hasn't been updated since February (on their end), so that may be something I want to change.

I do have some custom CSS, but nothing specifically mobile.

I wanted to isolate this issue further, but couldn't find anyone to test the mobile version of my site on an Android phone. (All my friends have iPhones.) The store is new, so I don't think it has ever worked on mobile.

The way it's acting makes me think there's something I haven't loaded or setup. I tried googling the issue every way I could think of, but can't find any documentation stating that there's another component--plugin or setting--that I have to do in order for WooCommerce and Square to work with mobile or iphones specifically.

My web address is desertsiren.com.

Thanks,

V

Message 3 of 7
Super Seller

Best Answer

I checked out your site. I have an iPhone as well so it works for me. 

I know it’ll be a pain but you may want to try a different theme. I’m using the ShopIsle theme which is recommended by Woo as fully compatible. If your theme hasn’t been updated in a while there may be some problems there. I know since February I have seen at least 4 updates to the Woo for Square plugin. I wouldn’t be surprised if some of those changes were layout-based. 

Ryan Wanner

Happy Selling!
Message 4 of 7

Hi, ryanwanner,

Thanks for checking. I also have an iphone and, yes, the site displays there fine. Which is why I didn't catch the problem until someone tried to make a purchase using their iPhone. 

The issue is with the checkout process. After you add something to the cart and try to check out, you are prevented from entering all the credit card info. Again, there's a black bar (on my iphone, not on hers) blocking the CVV field. That bar looks Square-generated. It has a Square logo and a person icon on it. That's why I'm thinking there's another piece to this that I missed (and it isn't a layout issue). 

The customer tried again in Safari last night and here's what she said: "Hello, I ran into a road block again. I’m running Safari and it stopped me again at the payment. I cleared it all out and entered it again, no change. So I thought maybe it’s Safari so I tried again with Firefox. It stopped me right away noting it’s a suspicious or fraudulent transaction because I already tried something similar. So back to Safari, the item is stuck in my cart. It won’t remove by hitting X or by changing the quantity and updating."

This is very frustrating! I've been working hard to get this site up and running and the last thing I need is to lose customers that have finally come to the site to try to buy something.

I cannot test Safari as I do all my computing on a Windows-based system. However, the site works fine for me (even to make purchases) in Chrome, (and to display in Firefox--I will run a test purchase there today) so I have no idea what's causing her issues.

I hate to spend all weekend redesigning the site in a new theme (especially since I'm really happy with the way it looks now), only to have the same functionality issues once I'm done. 

Does Square have anything additional I'm supposed to do or setup or authorize that is specifically iEnvironment...? Has anyone run into any issues like this?

Thank you.

V

Message 5 of 7

Best Answer

I have fixed this issue and the customer was able to purchase successfully!

It was a theme issue. (I don't know exactly what the issue was, but changing themes fixed it, so it doesn't matter.)

I did try the ShopIsle theme and didn't like it. (Not enough customizations and it lacked the ability to add both products and blog posts to the front page when using the builtin template.)

I then loaded Astra and customized it. Love it!!! Tons of customizing options and it works! (In case that's helpful for anyone else.)

Thanks for your help!

~V

Message 6 of 7
Super Seller

Sorry you had to jump through hoops with your theme, but I'm glad it was just that!

I'm pretty happy with ShopIsle for my theme, but I'll have to check out Astra once I have a bit. I'm always up for a way to tweak things, so thanks for the lead!

Happy Selling!

Ryan Wanner

Happy Selling!
Message 7 of 7