x

Can I install Star Micronics Kitchen Buzzer/Ticket Alarm (BU01-24-A)?

Can I install Star Micronics Kitchen Buzzer/Ticket Alarm (BU01-24-A)?

I am using Star Micronics TSP100 (LAN) for my restaurant. I just purchased a kitchen buzzer but not sure how to get it to work with Square POS. Does anyone here know how to configure the printer to activate the buzzer upon receiving new kitchen ticket? Thank you.

61 Comments
Admin

Hello @NTC! This is the first time we've had this question in the Community, thank you! Unfortunately, we haven't tested this device so I can't guarantee it will work with Square. 

I'd be interested to hear if other people would like to use kitchen buzzer with Square so we can show our hardware team that sellers would find it useful! 

We were able to install the audible alarm on our Star TSP100 wireless printer, but the only inssue we have is when you have it set to print order tickets only it will not buzz.  This is due to the fact it doesn't send a signal to "open cash drawer" which is the signal needed to make the alarm buzz.  We got around this by setting it to print receipts and order tickets both.  This seems to work okay but it buzzes for every ticket even when there isn't a back kitchen order ticket printed.

I spoke to Star Micronics and they said that the 700 series has the ability to be configured specifically to buzz regaurdless of what the Square app sends to the printer but the 100 series models cannot be setup that way. Something to think about if you're looking for a printer to purchase.

If Sqaure could add a feature to their Kitchen printer set-up, like adding a software switch to send an "Open Cash Drawer Peripheral" signal for the buzzer kits on Star Printers it would work perfect.  I know the buzzer set up for the 700 series allows for multiple buzzes and different lengths but I think in most small shop situations a simple signal to "open cash drawer" would suffice to allow the buzzer to work with Order Ticket printing only.

Admin

Thanks for sharing this @jcrawford, I think it will be a great resource! 🎉

I've sent your feedback to our Hardware team who can hopefully look into this soon, and work to support kitchen buzzers with the Star Micronics 100 series (and other printers).

Thanks again!

Thank you, jcrawford. I used your way to setup my kitchen printer. However, It only buzz once.  Is anyway I can make it buzz for 3 seconds?

Here is what I got from contacting Star Micronics directly and they responded within a couple of hours.

this is for a Star Micronics SP700 and the Micronics Buzzer BU01-24-A

Square doesn’t support the buzzer but there is a way to make the printer buzz automatically after every print job.  You will need a windows computer on the same network as the printer to change this setting.  The link below has the file.  Open the link and download to your computer.  It is a zip file that needs to be extracted, and then run.

The screen shot images did not carry over to this post so follow these steps. 

Select memory switch 8 and turn bit F on.

Select lpt1 and then choose nic for the interface and click ok

Select nic search and it will find the printer.  Select it and click ok to get back to the main screen.

Select write 

Select normal

Select write, reset, and test print so you can confirm the setting was changed

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6wey00sebgmx0uy/Memory%20Switch.zip?dl=0

Square, I am disappointed that you are not able to figure this out and support your customers.  Your engineers need to do better so that there isn't this sort of work around.  

Admin

Thank you very much @CCB, I think these steps will be really helpful to other sellers. Kitchen buzzers still aren't officially supported with Square but we'll continue to advocate for this for you! 

Please please please add this feature we want to use this buzzer for order tickets with a TSP143iiiW and we cannot because it only sounds on receipts not on order tickets. We do NOT want receipts printing in the kitchen. These new printers are very quiet and kitchens are inherently noisy places, this NEEDS to be updated in the Square app ASAP. This isn't a feature only a few people need. 

please add me to the list of people asking for this feature.

Beta Member

Please add me to the list as well, looking for a way to get the buzzer to work with Square.

I would also like to be added to this list when a solution is found