x
Beta Member

LS2208 Zebra USB barcode scanner troubleshooting

[The title of this thread has been edited from the original: ls2208 barcode scanner attached with usb error]

i have a zebra ls2208 barcode scanner connect via usb. when i first open pos app it works fine but after a few minutes i get four beeps with red led light and no scan. what is going on?

thanks

Message 1 of 41
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @Thegrooveshack!

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community again.

Here's some suggested troubleshooting steps for USB bar code scanners and Square:

1. Check the USB connections of your bar code scanner by unplugging it from your Android or iOS device and plugging it back in.
  2. Make sure Square Register or Square Stand is plugged into the USB accessories hub, and the hub is plugged into a power adapter. Ensure the power adapter is plugged into an outlet.
  3. Clear the USB accessory port of debris and dust.
  4. Plug the bar code scanner into a different port on the USB accessories hub.

If you’re using a bar code scanner with your iPad and Square Stand, find additional troubleshooting tips for USB hardware.

If you continue to have the red light issue, I would suggest resetting your bar code scanner. To reset your bar code scanner:

1. Print the Quick Start Guide.
  2. Under SET DEFAULTS, scan the bar code labeled RETURN TO FACTORY DEFAULTS while your bar code scanner is connected to your device.
  3. Unplug the bar code scanner and then plug it back into your device.

It’s important to note that you’ll need to print the document, as you can’t scan it from your monitor or screen. A copy of this document should’ve been included in the original scanner package.

Please let me know if these steps work for you, as it might be helpful for other sellers to know. If these troubleshooting step don't work, also let me know so we can figure out next steps 🤓.

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 41
40 REPLIES 40
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @Thegrooveshack!

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community again.

Here's some suggested troubleshooting steps for USB bar code scanners and Square:

1. Check the USB connections of your bar code scanner by unplugging it from your Android or iOS device and plugging it back in.
  2. Make sure Square Register or Square Stand is plugged into the USB accessories hub, and the hub is plugged into a power adapter. Ensure the power adapter is plugged into an outlet.
  3. Clear the USB accessory port of debris and dust.
  4. Plug the bar code scanner into a different port on the USB accessories hub.

If you’re using a bar code scanner with your iPad and Square Stand, find additional troubleshooting tips for USB hardware.

If you continue to have the red light issue, I would suggest resetting your bar code scanner. To reset your bar code scanner:

1. Print the Quick Start Guide.
  2. Under SET DEFAULTS, scan the bar code labeled RETURN TO FACTORY DEFAULTS while your bar code scanner is connected to your device.
  3. Unplug the bar code scanner and then plug it back into your device.

It’s important to note that you’ll need to print the document, as you can’t scan it from your monitor or screen. A copy of this document should’ve been included in the original scanner package.

Please let me know if these steps work for you, as it might be helpful for other sellers to know. If these troubleshooting step don't work, also let me know so we can figure out next steps 🤓.

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 2 of 41

We're using a barcode scanner similar to the Symbol LS2208. It works for other apps but not for Square sadly.

Even after resetting, unplugging, and replugging it is not being recognized by the square app.

The exact model is this one from amazon. 

https://www.amazon.com/Automatic-Barcode-Scanning-Bar-code-Adjustable/dp/B00406YZGK/

Tags (1)
Message 3 of 41
Square

So sorry to hear about the trouble! Are you using this barcode scanner with a Square Stand? If so, have you already had a chance to check out the Square Stand USB Attachment Issues troubleshooting article

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 4 of 41

Hi Sean,

We're using the barcode scanner with a tablet running Android Lollipop.

Message 5 of 41
Square

Thanks for clarifying! According to all of our support material, this scanner should be supported for Android 5.0 (Lollipop) and above. Have you tried deleting and reinstalling the app? Do you have any updates for your tablet? Have you had a change to try with a new USB OTG adaptor? 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 6 of 41

The app has been deleted and reinstalled, and no updates are available for our tablet. The barcode scanner is still not being recognized sadly. We bought the USB OTG adaptor specifically for the barcode reader to be used with the tablet.

Message 7 of 41
Square

@YanaPNeko - Sounds like you've done quite a bit of troubleshooting already! Have you checked for software updates on your tablet? Also, it may be worth resetting the settings on your tablet as well. I would be curious to know if the scanner worked on other devices. Do you have an Android phone you can try it on? 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 8 of 41

It seems this reply is from 2016 and 2022 I'm experiencing the same issue?

Message 9 of 41

We have an 8th generation iPad and 10.2" Square Stand and purchased two different Honeywell Xenon 1900 USB scanners. When we plug them into the Square Stand, nothing happens - the barcode scanners do not beep or power on. When we use the Symbol LS2208, it does power on no problem. 

The Honeywell scanners themselves work, as when we plug them into USB power from a different source, they work. Can anyone help?

Message 10 of 41
Super Seller

@policenauts I haven't used the barcode scanners but these are the 2 resources I know for troubleshooting them

https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5143-bar-code-scanners-with-square-point-of-sale 

https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5516-troubleshoot-your-bar-code-scanner 

My advice is always restart the ipad, unplug and plug in the stand, unplug the card reader and try it without the card reader as some of the ways to trouble shoot. And lastly, make sure the ios is up to date and square app is up to date.

Hope this helps,

Donnie-M

Donnie
Multi-Unit Manager
Order Up Cafe/Tombras Cafe/Riverview Cafe/City County Cafe
Roddy Vending Company, Inc.
www.OrderUpCafe.com

Using Square since July, 2017
Square Super Seller
Square Beta Team

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment."

"You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want." Z.Z.
Do you want to have great restaurant menus that are easy to edit and don't cost a fortune? I use MustHaveMenus and you can too!
MustHaveMenus
Message 11 of 41
Square Community Moderator

Hi @policenauts - Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Square Seller Community👋

I've merged your post to an existing thread where other Square Sellers have discussed USB barcode scanner troubleshooting. There are a few tips listed here in addition to what @Donnie-M has provided.

I hope this information is helpful but please do let us know if you have any additional questions. Always happy to help! 😊

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 12 of 41

@Donnie-M @_Violet thanks both for your responses. We tried every piece of troubleshooting under the sun - unplugged all other USB devices, restarted Square Stand, etc. The Xenon scanner flashes red for a moment when plugged in, but doesn't work. 

We spoke with a couple different agents and the last one said based on this information, the Square Stand's USB hub wasn't providing enough power to the scanner and she suggested that it might be faulty and so we spent $30 to order a new replacement USB hub. It arrived today - still no dice. Very disappointed at this point as this combination is supposed to work according to Square, and it simply doesn't. 

Message 13 of 41
Beta Member

Hi,

Just wondering if your problem ever get resolved. 

i run into the same same exact problem with the Xenon 1900 not working on the square stand .

while my Honeywell 1200 1D barcode scanner are working fine. 

Walter

Message 14 of 41
Square Community Moderator

Hey Walter

I recommend following the troubleshooting steps found in the Best Answer.  If those steps do not address your problem then I recommend getting in touch with our support team here.

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 15 of 41

I did all of the same troubleshooting for connecting our Zebra Symbol LS2208 barcode scanner to the Square POS app on my Android Galaxy Tab A and had the same difficulties. A help desk representative from Zebra told me that the barcode data gets hung up in the USB OTG adapter. I figured out that the Square POS app views the barcode scanner as a keyboard connection. If you tap the screen to put the cursor in the Search window and scan a barcode, the barcode number appears in the Search box and pulls up the item associated with the SKU barcode. However, then you have to click on the item and select the size/price/etc. Still too many steps and room for error. I need to be able to scan a barcode and have the "Small Pink T-shirt for $19.99," for example, appear in the checkout window without extra steps.

Message 16 of 41
Admin

@Dreamflyt Appreciate you sharing the info you got from Zebra. That's helpful! But definitely still hear you on the overall functionality. Thanks for sharing the feedback.

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 17 of 41
Beta Member

hello, having exact similar issues with the Zebra Symbol LS2208 on Samsung Galaxy Tab 10 and on the S5e. Have been speaking with Square support for 3 weeks now with no result. Annoyingly i borrowed a friend Samsung Galaxy SMT720 and it works on hers!! I then bought a newer version of the same tablet(also SMT 720) and it doesnt work. Am getting crazy. Have the feeling it must be a Settings issue on the tablet. Any idea?

Message 18 of 41
Beta Member

We're having the same issue.  Square POS doesn't recognize the scanner in software while Android does.  If we configure the scanner using the Symbol Native API (SNAPI) without Imaging Interface config, the scanner shows up in POS, sort of.  Instead of being recognized as an LS2208, it shows up simply as Symbol Scanner.  It scans but no input delivered to POS. Then disconnects and reconnects. RESET the scanner to default, which configs the scanner as a USB Keyboard HID, square no longer recognizes the scanner in software at all.  We just updated  our Android system to the latest revision.  Updated POS, uninstalled POS and reinstalled but, still can't scanner to work.  I wonder if Samsung tablets load an incomplete set of USB drivers on some of their tablets which is contributing to the issue.

Message 19 of 41
Beta Member

hello. our issue was solved as quare realised that the LS2208 is not compatible with Android 10 but with Android 9. Not sure if this will help, Did you speak ith Zebra? They seem to take our problem a bit more seriously than Square. good luck!

Message 20 of 41
Beta Member

Thanks for the information.  I haven't spoken with Zebra.

Cheers

Message 21 of 41