x

Why doesn't Square support payroll for multiple locations?

Verified Answer

I was so in love with Square and Square payroll with just one location for our coffee and ice cream store. So happy in fact that I converted our other existing location from Revel to Square after using it at our second location for a couple of months. The payroll was so easy compared to our restaurants that have to use a payroll company, so I dropped our payroll service as well. Only, come to find out, Square does not support multiple locations for Payroll! I can't split up bank accounts and time cards, I can only run one payroll for all locations coming from one account. 

Only one bank account available for payroll when operating multiple locations is not how most businesses operate. I would've assumed Square to be more ahead of this but am very disappointed. I will have to pull both locations off Square Payroll until they start supporting growing businesses.

1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

I was so in love with Square and Square payroll with just one location for our coffee and ice cream store. So happy in fact that I converted our other existing location from Revel to Square after using it at our second location for a couple of months. The payroll was so easy compared to our restaurants that have to use a payroll company, so I dropped our payroll service as well. Only, come to find out, Square does not support multiple locations for Payroll! I can't split up bank accounts and time cards, I can only run one payroll for all locations coming from one account. 

Only one bank account available for payroll when operating multiple locations is not how most businesses operate. I would've assumed Square to be more ahead of this but am very disappointed. I will have to pull both locations off Square Payroll until they start supporting growing businesses.

36 Comments

I know this is a bit old but I have this exact same problem. We run two locations and would very much like to key each location's payroll tied to its own bank account.

Admin

Hello—sorry for the delayed reply to this thread! Thank you for taking the time to lay out why location support for Square Payroll is important for your businesses.

I went to check for an update on this feature and I can assure you that our Payroll Team is tracking this request. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to access a specific timeline for when location or department reporting may become available. I'm surfacing this thread with the appropriate team members and we will reply with any other developments as they become available.

Please keep in touch, and let us know if any other questions come up.

I just added a second location & am VERY disappointed that I can't link my second "deposit" account to be a second "payroll" account.

I cant pay BOTH location employees via a bank account that only gets deposits from ONE location.

This makes NO SENSE. Please allow for all deposit accounts to become PAYROLL accounts also. My employees paychecks will be delayed, and they wont be happy.

Currently I operate two small businesses through one Square account and have for a couple of years. I recently added Square Payroll to my account and have set up for one business to run payroll on, but I can't figure out how to run payroll on the other business under that same square account. Can you tell me how to do this or can this be done?

Admin

Hi there @JoseaCGC! Thanks for joining the Seller Community! 

We moved your question over to this thread so that our Payroll Team can continue to track these location specific questions. Because currently, Square Payroll doesn’t support multiple EINs underneath one master account.

This is a popular request. So if this does become available at some point, we will update the Seller Community!

Let us know if you have other questions!

Please add my request for adding multiple locations payroll to square. It is only logical that if I need to use locations and multiple deposit accounts I would need to have payroll options for each. 🙄

This is going to be very difficult to deal with until you offer this as I have 3 locations with deposit accounts for each and need to track expenses for each, including payroll. 

When will it be available to link different Payroll bank accounts for paying out employees at different locations? It's really inconvenient to only have one bank account for Payroll, as the money goes into different bank accounts per location.

Admin

Hey @GreasyHands1. I just checked to see if there's been any progress around this feature request, but it looks like this is still in the request phase. 

I moved your post here so we can keep better track of those asking for this feature. We'll give a heads up if we gain some traction behind this request.

It’s very disappointing to hear this is  STILL in the request phase. I am forced to leave Square Payroll due to this limitation. 

I am experiencing this same problem still in 2020.

I realized when setting up payroll that you cannot pay direct deposit to multiple accounts (Example: $100 from each DD goes to savings account and remainder goes to checking account). This was disappointing but not a deal breaker for me because I've always liked Square.

Not being able to pay employees at 2 separate locations because one employees "primary work address" is outside the other "primary" location's tax jurisdiction is unbelievable.