x

Do Edits to Email Marketing Campaigns Save as Drafts?

Please don't laugh! I know this should be straightforward. I have used many templates over the years and I'm about to pull out my hair! Maybe I am looking straight at it? I hope so. Please put me out of my misery! 

🙂

When I start a marketing email, I assume in this day and age that it will save automatically. Or I will see a SAVE button. But all that happens when I need to stop work or go back to the previous screen is I get a big red "Your changes will be discarded if you leave this page." And the option to "stay on page" or "discard."

Since I saw no other option, I hit discard. Later that day, Square emails me to tell me not to forget my draft! Yay! I guess it saved after all. When I go back to it, however, all I see is the TEMPLATE created by Square that I had been working from...none of the info email I had already created.

I tried a new email yesterday. Same alert "Your changes will be discarded." This time, though. (I was experiementing 🙂 ) I went back and yes! It had saved!!! Woo hoo drafts in the place they belong.

However, when I went back this morning, I see that it had saved a draft of an earlier version of the email and that the later version had been lost. Sigh.

I doubt anyone is still reading this mass of confusion, but I had to get it off my chest. If someone is, however, and if you can help me see the error of my ways, please help me. I can't believe the only way I can use this product is to write the whole email at once and lose it if I get interrupted.

If it is and if Square is listening, please give me another free "trial" month as you work this out. So many glitches in "marketing" and "appointments" and customer service takes a week to get back to me with the same exact answer that is written in the basic online info that I can read for myself. I REALLY want to use your products because my clients love the "cool" look and how they integrate with payments. But pleeeaaseee...I'm drowning....

I'm smiling Square, I know the stuff is new....but I'm still drowninnnggg

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Square Community Moderator

Hi there! 

Thanks for the detailed post! It was very helpful for me when I attempted to replicate what was happening. 

I was able to successfully create a campaign, and while I clicked the "Discard Changes" option as well, my changes also seemed to save as a draft. 

This is definitely a confusing message. 

What I'm unable to replicate would be the when you mentioned you saved your draft however it was a previous version rather than the most recent edits that you made. 

Did this happen after a set amount of time? 

You mentioned in the beginning of your post that while a draft was saved, none of the edits or content that you added were present after you clicked on the draft. Can you get this to happen again and provide screenshots? 

I apologize for all of these requests, however I definitely agree this is a very confusing portion of the Email Campaign creation, and the more information I can gather from you, the faster I can have our Engineering Team take a look and fix what might be going wrong. 

Message 2 of 22

Heyyy,

Thank you SO MUCH for your reply. I am happy to know I am possibly not crazy or dumb.

I appreciate your trying to help!!

(I don't know if I have enough time in my life to do help develop a product I am already paying for.don't say this to be mean, and certainly not to you!! Just straightforward, as feedback, maybe not to you, but to whoever is in charge of this part of Square. I really would like another free month. I am wasting lots of time.)

But I'm a good sport and I like this product, so I if I have a few minutes I will try again and see if I come up with anything useful to share. 

For now, all I can say is there didn't seem to be rhyme or reason to when it would go back to do edits and when I got that error message. (I thought maybe it was clicking "back" versus clicking the links "choose" "design" "review" "send" or whatever they are, don't remember exactly. But that didn't seem to make a difference. Also tried on app vs. online and seemed the same.

Also, when it only saved partially, or not at all, I don't think it was "after some time" as in my session was timed out and so it saved at the point when the time out occurred?

These happened when:

1. I ran out of time and couldn't finish my work, so I tried to close out of the email session and got that "Do you want to discard" message if I tried to go to any other screen.

or 

2. I got to the "review and send" screen and noticed something I wanted to change.

Thanks again and have a great day!

Lisa

Message 3 of 22

Hi again Lisa. 

I have an update for you!

I was able to speak with one of the Product Managers for the Email Campaigns and informed them of this confusing messaging.

They're actively working on this now to try to make it a better experience for all sellers. It is a known issue, and they're planning on getting it resolved and improved soon!

Hang tight and hopefully we'll get this taken care of for you quickly. 

Message 4 of 22

Ok, thank you. Have a great day!

Message 5 of 22

I am doing my free trial too and ran into the same issue. I've spent 2.5 hours creating my campaign, and then everything was gone! 

I've seen this correspondence here from 10/9/16. The issue is still the same.

How can it be possible do not have a simple button SAVE at every step?

Would you please let me know what should I do to save my hard work?

Message 6 of 22
Admin

Oh no, I'm sorry to hear you lost your work @IK1!

When you're working on a draft campaign you can click the back arrow in the upper left of your screen and you'll see a message asking you if you want to save your work. I'm adding screenshots of each step below.

1. Click the back arrow:

2. Select Save as Draft.

When you click Save as Draft and your Campaign will be saved in the Marketing section of your Dashboard.

If you're not seeing this pop up when you click the back arrow please run through these Dashboard troubleshooting steps.

I do see how a 'Save' button would be clearer and I'll share your feedback with our Marketing team. Again, so sorry for the trouble this caused! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 7 of 22

Thank you for your response, Helen. 

To be honest, when I've clicked Back button previously, there was no such option there.

I only had "Cancel" and "Discard" which didn't make sense.

Thank you, I tried to save it now and it worked 🙂

Message 8 of 22

I've had the same issue with online booking campaign.

Appointments -> Online Booking -> Invite Clients -> Create Campain.

I created it, scheduled it, but have never seen it.

There was no option to save the draft either. Only "Send Now" or "Schedule"

All my work just  disappeared :((

Message 9 of 22
Admin

Hey @IK1, I'm glad Hellen's post was able to get this sorted out for your email marketing campaign, though I'm so sorry to hear about the trouble with losing your work with Appointments. 😕

I went to check on this, and there isn't a way to save a Square Appointments campaign as you can for Square Marketing—you'll need to follow through and send it out when you create it. I can see how this would cause confusion, and we definitly want to prevent people from having to redo anything. I'll be sure to surface your post with our Appointments Team and point out how offering more continuity between these two services is vital for your business. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 10 of 22

Does it mean that the "Schedule" button just doesn't do the work and should never be used? 

So, I should create a campaign on the same day ONLY? On the same hour and minute when I want it to go out? 

I am very sorry, but it sounds ridiculous!

Scheduling posts and campaigns is essential for businesses. I like Square and would like to use it, but troubles with just simple basics business tools will definitely prevent me from that.

Message 11 of 22
Admin

Apologies for the confusion—we're talking about two separate services within your online Square Dashboard: Appointments versus Marketing.

• When sending our an invite to clients for Appointments, the draft cannot be saved.

• When creating a campaign with Marketing, the draft can be saved, or you can schedule it to be sent out at a particular date & time.

Hope this helps clear things up—please let me know if you're still running into any trouble with this and we'll take a closer look.

️ Tom | he/him
Message 12 of 22

There is no confusion, I totally understand that they are separate.

I just can't accept that there is no way to SCHEDULE invitation for Appointments. 

Even worse, you DO have a button SCHEDULE, where I can choose the date and the time for my invitation. If it cannot be done, at least remove that button!

Then, I wouldn't schedule my invitation for appointments and wouldn't lose my work. 

Guys, they are very-very simple basic functions. How can it be possible do not offer it to your clients (us), or offer us broken buttons? 

Message 13 of 22
Admin

Thanks for circling back, @IK1. So that I can be sure we're on the same page, can you reply with the URL of where you're trying to schedule the campaign and a screenshot of the page where schedule button is unresponsive? This will help me escalate this internally for a closer look. Appreciate your help with this.

️ Tom | he/him
Message 14 of 22

Thank YOU.

It is in Appointments -> Online Booking -> Invite Clients -> Create Campaing 

When you create and click Continue, there are 2 options: Schedule and Send Now.

If you click Schedule, you can choose date and time, and confirm scheduling. The next screen will say "You campaign was scheduled successfully" 

However, I've never seen that email. 

Message 15 of 22
Admin

Thanks for taking the time to lay that out, @IK1. I went to check on this and scheduling a campaign from the Invite Clients tab should be working as expected. 🧐🤔

Since you're still running into this delivery issue, I've asked a member of our CS Team to take a deeper dive into your account and follow up directly. Please keep an eye on your email inbox for more information. Again, I apologize for the frustration—rest assured that our CS Team will be able to get to the bottom of this.

️ Tom | he/him
Message 16 of 22

: I can not save a newsletter that I am trying to duplicate. I make the edits but when I save it as a draft and go back to complete my work the original newsletter has been saved NOT the one I am currently working on.

Message 17 of 22
Admin

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: I cannot save a newsletter that I am trying to duplicate

Hello @aardvark! The steps to save your work as a draft are in this post, check out the steps to save your work as a draft I posted on page 2 of this thread. If your work isn't saving it might help to switch to a different browser like Chrome or Firefox.

Also keep in mind you won't be able to duplicate a newsletter (or any campaign) until it has been sent. I see how it would be useful to be able to be able to duplicate a draft and I'll share that feedback with the Marketing team! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 18 of 22

Hi, I'm having a similar problem - I think! I've edited a template in the 'manage pop up emails' section so I can send to people who have opted in via the pop up for email offers. I have sent a test email to myself and although it asks you to rename the template to save, when you go back into the saved emails there is nothing there. I have tried this 3 times now and they just don't save. If I click on my sent campaigns I can see the email but I have no way of being able to forward this on to other customers! This is really frustrating as it's the last thing I need to figure out before I can start to advertise my site and I just can't find any help. I've tried customer services email who have passed me to weebly, but when I've tried weebly support I've been directed back to square! 😕 Can anyone help? There must be a way to save and forward emails!!

Message 19 of 22

Hey @Stephanie-MLD,

Thanks for reaching out and sorry to hear about the frustrating experience so far! Just so we're on the same page here, is the issue that the templates you're trying to save won't save, or the forwarding of emails that have been sent out already? I'll keep an eye out for your reply. 

Message 20 of 22

I can't get the templates to save. 

Message 21 of 22