x
Beta Member

SQUARE CHANGED ITEM IMPORT TEMPLATE?

SO close to getting my shop uploaded into Square using the template and mid-afternoon today, the template stopped working, there's a new pop-up when up upload a CSV and the columns are different.  Looked all over the site for a new template, but only found that the old template's missing and that the "Troubleshooting" instructions are no longer valid. Making a change like this seems like something they'd announce first, and then only after they have sufficient support + docs in place, so maybe I'm missing something? 

Message 1 of 17
1 Verified Answer
EJ_
Verified Answer

Re: SQUARE CHANGED ITEM IMPORT TEMPLATE?

Update: We're actively working to restore the template file, as well as improve the experience from the old file format. I'll share more of a concrete timeframe once I have one. 

Hi there.

I apologize for the late reply, as I was in direct contact with our Produt Team to try and get a timeframe on when the downloadable template will become available. 

Our Product Team made a few changes to improve this feature, and I'm sorry if this has impacted your business negatively. They are making adjustments and improvements to make the new import/export process better as we speak.

This definitely is not an ideal or permanent solution, as a downloadable template is in the works, but the best path for now is to export your items in the new template, edit the file, then Import. 

Hang tight and we'll have a better template option available soon. 

16 REPLIES 16
Square Community Moderator

Update: We're actively working to restore the template file, as well as improve the experience from the old file format. I'll share more of a concrete timeframe once I have one. 

Hi there.

I apologize for the late reply, as I was in direct contact with our Produt Team to try and get a timeframe on when the downloadable template will become available. 

Our Product Team made a few changes to improve this feature, and I'm sorry if this has impacted your business negatively. They are making adjustments and improvements to make the new import/export process better as we speak.

This definitely is not an ideal or permanent solution, as a downloadable template is in the works, but the best path for now is to export your items in the new template, edit the file, then Import. 

Hang tight and we'll have a better template option available soon. 

Message 2 of 17

I finally after 2 hours got my template to upload now instead of say $24 it reads .24..........will not correct.......this is a major issue.   I was suppose to get a call yesterday  not call back??

Message 3 of 17

Totally agree with you Square should have notified its users in advance of this change.  Were you able to figure out the new process?

Message 4 of 17

Square apparently hanged the import/export functions and there is not HELP or documentation to go with it.  I've been on the phone with Square for over an hour and they claim they are rolling this out in beta but onlu half working.  If you rely on import/export function of your square account - be sure to check it out before you realize they changed it.

Message 5 of 17
Square

@sunni148 - I went ahead and moved your comment here. We'll be sure to share updates in this thread. 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 6 of 17

Any update??? Huge issue!  About to change POS companies. 

Message 7 of 17
Square

@highcottonal - It looks like you've been working directly with a supporter. They'll be sure to update you directly via email. ๐Ÿ™ƒ

Sean
he/him/his
Message 8 of 17

Has anyone found a solution to this problem?  I can't upload my csv files - just get error message saying i'm using the old format.  Emailed support a week ago and again today, but haven't heard anything except that the engineers are working on it.  The exported format isn't any use as I'm not set up with that one.

Message 9 of 17
Beta Member

New Square Template w/Location Indicator On

Here's a template I made by downloading all my current stock as CSV, opening in Google Sheets and then cleaning out. My location indicator's on (which I hate - accidentally turned on + can't turn off), so not sure how that affects the template for everyone else.  This is the only work-around I've found. After populating the sheet, I download ans CSV and upload to Square. One hint, price has to be in a whole number form on the sheet, it gets converted in Square. When doing this, be sure to confirm your Price field on Square to make sure your decimal's in the correct place. be sure to pupulate your tax and inventory tracking on the sheet, saving you gouing back in and doing it one item/time.

Message 10 of 17
Square

@Domestica - Thanks so much for taking the time to put together a sample file with details about each row. This is very useful! Also, apologies for the trouble and time this has cost you. 

As a followed up, we do recommend that each seller uses a brand new export of their .CSV in the new format before they make any changes to their Item library. Also, in your template, you recommended that sellers delete their item tokens. This could cause a bit of an issue because a blank token field is interpreted as a new item to Square. If someone selected to "Modify" the catalog after deleting the item tokens from existing items, they may end up with duplicate items or receive errors on import. 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 11 of 17
Beta Member

Sean,

Thanks.  Since I didn't see anything that said it's best download your own inventory .CSV, clear it out + use it as your template, I just posted mine as help.  I didn't advise that anyone clear their tokens from a .CSV inventory download. My advice was to leave that column blank when uploading new stock via this spreadsheet templatesince it's a Square-populated cell.

Thanks,

Chrissy @Domestica

Message 12 of 17

@Domestica, what is the difference between the two price columns in your sheet?  Do you use one for wholesale and one for retail, or did you create the 2nd one to deal with the issue you mentioned with square using whole numbers?  If it's the latter case, do you need to delete one of the columns before importing--I don't see a 2nd price column in square's template?  Please advise.  Thanks!

Message 13 of 17
Square

@llij96 - You'll definitely want to use a fresh copy of your own .CSV from the Dashboard. You won't want to alter the format in any way, as well. This will cause you to run into import errors.

Would you mind sharing a few more details about what you'd like to set up? I'm happy to advise. 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 14 of 17

@Sean, i'm trying to get my intial inventory into square and i see lots of people are having issues with your template, so was trying to use @Domestica's. gave up on that and downloaded square's multiple times, but keep getting errors (separate thread).  really disappointed that i can't use the barcode scanner to import items.

Message 15 of 17
Square

@llij96 - I see the other thread now. Just reach out directly with the .CSV and we can sort that out. As for using the barcode scanner, I've seen other sellers log in to the Dashboard from their mobile device and use the barcode scanner to adjust inventory from the Items tab. 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 16 of 17
Beta Member

Definitely need to download your items via .csv and then I upload to Google Sheets, add inventory, save as a .csv and then upload to Square. The two price columns I think are a way to adjust price. I've been addng the price to both columns because I can't figure out which one populates price on the Square Register. 

Originally, I posted a link to a sample template when they first started making changes, but now they've changed even more, so using that one's going to leave some things out of your listing/place numbers in wrong cells. It's best to download your own items list, clear and add new stock.

Message 17 of 17