x

My chip reader doesn't work

I have the kind that plugs into my iPhone.  The thing has never worked, but I tried it again.  The chip reader still won't read the chip in my CC, but I was able to manually enter the CC numbers and it did process a charge.  Is this fixable or not?  If not, can I exchange mine for a new reader that will work?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Super Seller Alumni

Have you tried multiple credit cards to verify that it's not the specific card you are using?

Message 2 of 9

I tried a Visa and an AmEx card.  It wouldn't read either of them.

Message 3 of 9
Admin

This sounds very frustrating, I'm sorry @twoappies! It sounds like you have a magstripe reader (correct me if I'm wrong) so these troubleshooing steps should help you to swipe cards with that reader. 

If you keep seeing an error can you reply here to let us know? Also as @ACAcatering indicated there's a chance that the issue is specific to the card you're trying to swipe. This article has information about card brands you can accept with Square

I'll be on the lookout for your reply!

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 4 of 9

It has two slots.  One for Mag and the other is for Chips.  I tried both just on the off chance that the Mag would read it but no luck.  I paid $50 for the chip reader.  It better be a chip reading thing!

Message 5 of 9
Admin

Thank you! It sounds like you have the Square Chip Card Reader so actually these troubleshooting steps should help. Sorry, I wasn't sure which reader you had! 

Have you charged the reader? If not charge it for 1-2 hours before connecting it to your device again.

Or do you have a case on your phone? If you do have a case please remove it to make sure the reader can fully connect to your phone. 

If the reader is still unresponsive I suggest calling our Customer Success team who can walk you through taking a payment and make sure there isn't an issue with the reader or with the card itself. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 6 of 9

I am having the exact same problem. When I plug in my chip card reader, the app says mag stripe reader inserted. I can not take payment by chip card or swiping but can manually enter it. I havetried with several cards from customers and also my own cards. This is very frustrating since I paid $50 for it!

Message 7 of 9

I am also having the same problem. I insert the chip card, it replies to swipe card. I swipe the card as directed, nothing happens. Finally hit " manual entry" and could do it, but I wasted 20 minutes attempting to enter a sale which I almost lost because of the problem. Most customers wouldn't have waited !

Message 8 of 9

That's really weird @Teresa6460. Did you check to to make sure your phone or tablet is compatible with the Square Chip Reader? You can check on our Device Compatibility page. 

@Jackie4 did you try the troubleshooting steps @Helen posted?

Message 9 of 9