x

How can I search for a customer's order or payment by last name?

How can I search for a customer's order or payment by last name?

Message 1 of 13
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hello again!

I just wanted to share an update in this thread about an improvement made to the Square Dashboard: you can now search for a transaction using a customer's name, email address, or phone number from the Transactions section of your online Square Dashboard. (From the Point of Sale app you can search by receipt number or card - adding the sae improvements to the app is still on our radar.)

This Product Update post has more details: Find the transaction you're looking for, faster.

😊

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.

View Best Answer >

Message 10 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

I need to know this answer too! I need to be able to search for customer names in the transactions. 

Message 2 of 13

I just tried it on mine. I know I was also having difficulty with this, but it seems like they've fixed it. In both the transactions and the customer tab, I can locate my customers by thier last name.

Message 3 of 13

This is an old question, but I have it too!  In the POS app in the transactions tab it asks only for credit card or receipt number.  I would like to be able to do this by entering in my customer's name please instead of having to do it by credit card or receipt number...which, by the way, the capital I (as in Ivory) is indistinguishable from the lower case l (as in lovely). 

Message 4 of 13

Hello @Twistedhornmead,

In the app, is it helpful to go to the Customers tab, and locate the receipt from there?

I agree with you that the choice of font that Square uses makes it difficult to tell the lowercase L from the uppercase i. (I've done the opposites here to illustrate the difference.)

Message 5 of 13

I have tried to do that in the past, but once there was a customer who wouldn't show up in my customer profiles under his name in the app.  I had to go into the back end under transactions and search for him there.  I wish the app was more user friendly.  Some things need to be taken care of at Point of Sale and not stepping out to do it from a desktop or through Safari on the backend.

Message 6 of 13
Admin

Hello @Twistedhornmead @Stellar732! You're right, at this time, to search for a customer using their name you need to go to the Customers section of the app. From the Transactions tab you can search by the last four numbers of your customer's card or their receipt number. 

Additionally you can add a customer to an already processed transaction -- but only from your Square Dashboard. I do agree it's tricky to have to switch between the app and a desktop computer, and that you might not even have access to your Dashboard when accepting payments. I'll share your request for an easier way to find your customers from the app with the Point of Sale team. This is very useful information for them as they decide what features to build next. I'll also let the team know that the font is causing confusion. Thanks for letting us know!

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 7 of 13

Thanks Helen!  You guys are so great at replying and taking all of our comments to the right people!!

Message 8 of 13
Admin

@Twistedhornmead You're welcome! 😀

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 9 of 13
Admin

Best Answer

Hello again!

I just wanted to share an update in this thread about an improvement made to the Square Dashboard: you can now search for a transaction using a customer's name, email address, or phone number from the Transactions section of your online Square Dashboard. (From the Point of Sale app you can search by receipt number or card - adding the sae improvements to the app is still on our radar.)

This Product Update post has more details: Find the transaction you're looking for, faster.

😊

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 10 of 13

Transactions list should list more than just the time, date, amount of transaction. That makes it difficult to find a customer transaction.  Why won’t square add to the list - name of customer so we have a better way of finding a customer. Otherwise we have to go back to Weebly and find the time stamp and look for that transaction. Why no customer information?  

Message 11 of 13
Square Community Moderator

Hey @Cvirostek6,

I merged your post with an existing one in the Community on searching by customer.

This option is available from the Transactions tab of the Dashboard and @Helen 's best answer details it better but keep in mind that it's on you as the seller to store customers in your Directory and add them to your sales before taking the sale so you can search by customer. 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 12 of 13

Can you clarify? All our customers input the information onsite so all information is there. But when looking on the dashboard and under transactions (where we go to refund) no account information is provided except date, time, and company. No customer information.  So finding. A transaction you have know when the order was place in order to find it. It would be more logical to show a customer name. 

Message 13 of 13