x

Can I accept EFTPOS cards?

hi, we really love using the square but we have lots of customers who want to pay with their savings card from their banks. We have tried swiping these cards through our squarestand but it won't read the cards. is there a problem with eftpos keycards? thanks

Message 1 of 8
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Hi @TheGlencafe, and welcome to the community!

At the moment, we are able to process cards badget with the Visa, MasterCard and American Express logo. We've been hearing from our sellers for a while that they'd love EFTPOS support, and we hear you - work is underway to bring EFTPOS support to our hardware and software very soon, so stay tuned!

Thanks for sticking with us ๐Ÿ™

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Alumni

Best Answer

Hi @TheGlencafe, and welcome to the community!

At the moment, we are able to process cards badget with the Visa, MasterCard and American Express logo. We've been hearing from our sellers for a while that they'd love EFTPOS support, and we hear you - work is underway to bring EFTPOS support to our hardware and software very soon, so stay tuned!

Thanks for sticking with us ๐Ÿ™

Message 2 of 8

We too love the Square system, but the inability to process Eftpos is a real problem for us - it's inconvenient to our customers and that breeds discontent.  Our customers want to be able to debit this amount from their savings account - not just credit card.  I'm wondering it it's more about fee collection??

Message 3 of 8
Admin

Hey @TeresaFresh,

Thanks for reaching out and sorry to hear about your customer experiences related to EFTPOS.

Square's not yet supporting EFTPOS is not related to fee collection. It's certainly within our own best interests to accept as many different payment types as possible - we don't like having to turn away some card types any more than our merchants do.

For more context, Square has been running for 10+ years in the US and had existing support with the big 3 credit card processing networks upon launching in Australia. The EFTPOS payment network is unique to Australia, and has its own technical and regulatory requirements - integrating a new payment network into our product offering is a sizable task. 

With that said, EFTPOS has been one of our top feature requests since launching in Australia a couple of years ago, and a number of teams across our Melbourne and San Francisco offices have been working hard on getting EFTPOS support up and running in Australia.

We appreciate your patience! While we don't presently have an ETA, we'll make an announcement regarding EFTPOS once it's ready to go!

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 8

Almost a year ago we were told it would be soon!

How soon?

An honest answer would be appreciated (as your users would really want to know about this)!!!

Message 5 of 8
Alumni

Hi @audaree,

We have been working hard since we started taking payments in Australia to understand the complexities of accepting EFTPOS-only cards, as we understand their vital importance to all Square sellers. I'm you can appreciate that it takes months of engineering work, along with legal and other challenges in order to add additional card acceptance to Square, and given the number of teams involved, it's meant a lot of moving timelines which has made it difficult to provide an answer as to when we'll be able to accept bank-issued EFTPOS cards.

That being said, I'm happy to say that we will have a solution for EFTPOS cards by the end of this year. As much as we'd love to share a more specific date (and we will when we can!), there are still a lot of moving parts that make it difficult to provide a clear estimate.

Thanks so much for sticking with us, and I'll be sure to visit this thread again when we're up and running with EFTPOS to let you know!

Message 6 of 8

ChrisAU, 

Sounds promising - thank you for your prompt reply. 

I'm sure most Square users will be happy to finally see Eftpos included in the list of acceptable cards.

Message 7 of 8
Admin

@TheGlencafe @audaree @TeresaFresh

EFTPOS support is now live for Chip and Contactless (tap and go) EFTPOS cards in Australia!

Read more here ๐Ÿ™‚

Seamus
Square, Australia
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 8 of 8