x
Square

Introducing Square Register

Square Register is a purpose-built, complete point of sale system. Square Register is built entirely by Square so you can sell confidently knowing everything just works.

Square Register-1.png

The Square Register features a customer facing display to let your customers track items, complete sales, and update contact information on their own. The dedicated customer display lets customers pay intuitively while our fast card processing speed keeps your line moving.

Square Register-2.png

You can also connect printers, cash drawers and scanners, using USB or Ethernet depending of the accessory. Check out a full list of our supported hardware on our Support Center.

Square Register is available for purchase individually for $999 or as a kit with accessories included for $1499 at the Square shop.

Message 1 of 87
86 REPLIES 86
Beta Member

I have a few questions. I have left multiple messages for support, but so far no reply.

1- If we have a custom rate, will that apply if we add the new Square Register? or is a transaction fee required?

2- can you supply any info on the hardware specs?

Message 64 of 87
Super Seller

@redstickspice your custom rate will apply and override the 2.5% + 10 cents.  so say you have a custom rate of 2.25% that's what you will continue to pay without the per transaction fee.

Message 65 of 87

Can someone at Square confirm this? 

Message 66 of 87
Square Community Moderator

Hi @redstickspice

What @VanKalkerFarms mentioned in regards to rates is correct. 

In regards to hardware specs, you can view this information on the Square Register purchase page

Message 67 of 87

What about $60/monthly subscription?  Is this mandatory with new square register?

Message 68 of 87
Super Seller

Square for retail is a subscription add-on service and not necessary to run Square Register but does add a lot of backend features.   

Message 69 of 87
Super Seller

@VanKalkerFarms Do you know if we are required to maintain the square for retail subscription in order to use the advanced inventory features like purchase orders and the advanced inventory features or is that included with the new hardware?

Message 70 of 87
Super Seller

yes, you would need to pay for the Square for Retail subscription if you want those features just like you would have to pay for those features if you were using a Square Stand.

Message 71 of 87
Alumni

Hey @homeprogreen -

You will need the Square for Retail subscription in order to access the features, but Square for Retail is only available on iOS at this time. We are only able to offer Square Point of Sale on the new Square Register. 

Message 72 of 87
Alumni

Hey @observe1147

You don't need to pay a subscription to use Square Register. In fact, Square for Retail is only available on iOS at this time and not compatible with Square Register. 

Message 73 of 87

I am curious about a few things that are not found in the literature

*) Will it work on WiFi wirelessly or does it need a router

*) Will it work if the WiFi goes down?  Same as the old register

*) Does the online ordering work with it?

Meaning : will I still receive online orders?

will I be able manage the online store from it - taking items on and off line?

*) When it says 10 cents per transaction is it changing my current fee? Are there any other fees attached to it.

*) Does it need to be programmed when I get it or do I just sign in and my current menu comes up?

*) what is the return policy if we just do not like the way it works?

Message 74 of 87
Square Community Moderator

Hi @GWTS

Thanks for posting, and Welcome to the Seller Community 🙌🏼

Square Register will work with Wifi or can be hard wired, and Offline Mode is available if needed as well. 

The Square Point of Sale software is the same, with the only difference being that Square Register is fully integrated, so you're not downloading an app since it's already built in and included with the Square Register hardware itself. 

You'l sign in to your existing Square account and take payments like you're used to. 

For all returns, Square offers a 30-day, risk-free return policy on all hardware purchased from Square Shop. If you purchased your Square Register using Square Installments, you’ll need to return your entire order (including any accessories you may have purchased).

In regards to fees, payments taken on the Square Register will have the Square Register fee. No other fees are attached. 

I've moved your post to this existing thread for more information, as a lot of sellers had similar questions around Register as well. 

Message 75 of 87

so when I plug it in, I will sign in to my account and my current menu will be availale?

Can I still edit my menu from my computer at home?

Message 76 of 87

What is the difference between Square Register, Square POS and Square for Retail? Is there a side-by-side comparison I can see?  I'm so confused.  I'm wanting to buy this right now, as I have my 2nd store opening in April and currently I'm using Vend.  I really want to make the switch to Square and love the Square Register concept, but don't understand what POS system it comes with.  What's the different between the software that comes with Square Register and Square for Retail? 

Message 77 of 87
Alumni

Hi @Valerie14432 - Those are all really important questions.

Here's a guide with more comparison info on Register and Stand for your reference.

Register is essentially its own device (no iPad needed) that only runs Square software and has a customer facing display. Stand runs an app, Square POS,  on an iPad. Also, you can't run Retail directly on Register, but you can access its backend features on a computer. You can run Retail on Stand through the iPad.

Check out Pesso's review of his new Register here and feel free to add any more questions. We're also working on a guide (hoping to get it posted soon) addressing these considerations to make when switching from Stand to Register. Finally, we're doing a Q&A with the Register product team on Feb 28 so you can drop any questions to them in that thread too!

Message 78 of 87

Thank you for the response.  I'm still confused as to the difference between Square for Retail and the POS system that comes with the Square Register.  I run a retail store - but a different type of store, it's an artisan shop.  Every artisans rents space in the store, and all products in the store are rang up through the register.  So it's important that I'm able to point each product sale to the correct artisan/vendor so they get paid correctly at the end of the month.  Right now I'm using Vend and using the barcode scanner and the system works great, but now that I'm opening a 2nd store it's not real cost efficient.  And as someone who's been using Square at my events & shows for several years now, I love Square and would like to make the switch.  I  just need to make sure it will work for what I need it to before investing the money. 

Message 79 of 87
Super Seller

I'm considering purchasing this later in the year. One thing I was told was that on the front facing display and customer can swipe an item off the scrren essentially deleting it from the order, and then pay and you wouldn't know this happened. Is this something that can still happen or has this been fixed? I don't want to purchase this unless I know it's no longer a problem.

My Girlfriend's Wardrobe est. 2012

Preston & jayne est. 2023

Downtown York Pa

Square user since 2012
Message 80 of 87
Admin

@alexandriak Customers cannot remove an item from the customer-facing display and this was never a feature of the new Square Register. The only action a customer can take from the customer-facing display is to add a tip (if you accept tips) and choose how to receive their receipt.

I hope this helps clarify, if you have any other questions before making your purchase let me know or create a new thread.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 81 of 87

Are Square looking at allowing "third party" apps on the Square Register?
Actually, all I'm really looking for (at this stage) is access to a Web Browser so we could access online booking systems that handle seat allocation at event venues.

Message 82 of 87

Does Square Register have password protection to Admin Functions???
I don't want staff having access to reports or editing of pricing etc, so would like to ensure these sorts of functions are password protected

Message 83 of 87
Super Seller

you can turn on employee management and set different permission levels for various employees.

My Girlfriend's Wardrobe est. 2012

Preston & jayne est. 2023

Downtown York Pa

Square user since 2012
Message 84 of 87