x

Is there a way to change an uncategorized item to a category after the sale transaction?

After a completed sale is there a way to correct the uncategorized sale into the correct category?

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 39
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

@covermeyer - While I definitely understand how this would be a useful feature, we don't currently support the ability to edit any details related to a sale after it is completed. I'll be sure to pass along your feature request to our product liaison team! 

PS) If my answer solved your problem, would you mind marking it as "Best Answer"? That'll help the rest of the community find what they're looking for. If not, just write back, and I'll continue to help. Thanks!

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 39
38 REPLIES 38

We are adding our names to the list of folks who need this functionality

Message 22 of 39
Square Community Moderator

Thanks for sharing your interest around this @woodboxstudios

Can you provide some detail on how this would help your business and how you would use it?

Message 23 of 39

It shouldn't be that difficult, I'm beeginning to use categories and want to organize my reports, but they will still show up as uncategorized which basically is useless, as you will need to do it by hand. Definitely that option shoud improve the report management, the value for obvious reasons the value shouldn't be editable but the category or description should be.

Message 24 of 39

Adding our voice to ask for this feature too.

We're mobile so whether it's slow internet or no internet, sometimes our inventory doesn't update when a customer makes their first order. If we have a new item in our store, we'll just sell it to them uncategorized and then try to rememeber what it was for. It screws up our reports when it happens. 

S

Message 25 of 39

Please, please, please add this feature!! The issue is mainly small/medium sized businesses with staff. They make mistakes, get flustered at checkout and take the easy route instead of finding the category and item and use the keypad. I'd love to be able to disable the keypad because I spend hours trying to figure out which category transactions should have been made under. This means i have to keep separate reports. Squares reporting is really awesome and this would make it that much more accurate. 

Message 26 of 39
Alumni

Hey @SuiteLife - Thank you for your insight on this feature request! We will make sure to surface your post to our Reporting team to consider for future improvements.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 27 of 39

Yes yes and yes-we need this! Today We sold something new and forgot to add a category. We now need to change it for our end of month reports. Also today I clicked the wrong soap scent in a sale and want to go back and change the actual item name after the sale. 

Message 28 of 39
Admin

Hey @dmhowell2 and @dammule, I'm sorry for the frustration that this is causing. I went to check for any other updates or workarounds for this request, but there isn't anything that I can access and share out.

For now, my best suggestion is—if you catch an error and your customer is still present—you can refund the payment and process it again with the correct category or item. I realize this isn't ideal, but I hope this helps with ensuring that everything is properly recorded in your reports. Rest assured that I've shared your experiences with our Point of Sale team.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 29 of 39

This is pretty serious for my business.  We have all left feedback for this 'feature request' but it is more of a lack of planning or lacking functionality on the development side of things.  For accounting, business reporting, TAXES and more, this is not a "want".  This is a necessity.  If you ask how this will be beneficial again I will know that you are still not paying attention.  Thanks for reading. 

Message 30 of 39

I guess the best way to say this to the developers is that this is costing me money!! My bookkeeper has to spend extra time on what should be a simple fix.  It doesn't make sense to me to have a category rich program without the ability to edit when needed.  As others said it makes it a useless feature.  Please fix!

Message 31 of 39

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this @Gallerygirl68

I don't have anything new around this in regards to availability, but I'll definitely push to have this re-prioritized in the future. Hopefully we can get something rolled out to help with this soon. 

What workaround were you're using currently with your business?

Message 32 of 39

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Assigning Categories to items already sold and paid

I'm just getting started with all this and I didn't have categories set up before making my first paid sale. How can I go back an apply a category to what I sold yesterday?

Message 33 of 39
Admin

Welcome to Square @Trailside

Currently there isn't a way to assign a category to a completed sale. When a payment has been completed it can't be adjusted. This is a popular request and I do understand how it would help.

I also merged your post to this thread so you'll automatically be notified of any news on this request! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 34 of 39

I would also love the ability to do this.  Thank you.

Message 35 of 39

A transaction was recorded as a custom amount when it should have been entered under a preset category.  Is there a way to make the correction?

Message 36 of 39

We, your customers, have been asking for this 'enhancement' (resolution of a design shortcoming) for nearly 3.5 years. And we have not even been told when to expect a resolution. PLEASE, Square, give us support!

Message 37 of 39

These requests started 6 years ago. It is definitely not on their priority list, no matter how many times people ask and let them know how important it is to the maintaining of our business records. I gave up several years ago on having this request completed by Square. Don’t know what else we can do to make this a priority.

Message 38 of 39

Hi @SpiritMedium,

Thanks for reaching out on this request. Your input is appreciated!

You are totally right this has been ask for several years for sellers, and we understand that it might be difficult waiting for something to be built out. 

We field thousands of feature requests each week here on the Seller Community, and bringing these features to fruition often takes an ample amount of time and effort from our engineers. We want to ensure that our releases are not just surface level products, but the best all-around resources to help you grow your business. With this in mind we have improved our feature request process. If you could head over to the ideate board. Here our Product Team will evaluate before adding anything to our road map. 

Message 39 of 39