x

How can a customer automatically pay for a recurring invoice series using a Card on File?

I use the recurring payment feature frequently and many of my customer save their card to file.

However, many have requested an automatic feature so they don't have to manually approve the payment every month.  Is there a way to do this or is this a feature that's in the works?  Thank you!

The title of this post has been edited from the original: Is there a way for a customer to auto-pay recurring invoices?

Message 1 of 66
3 Best Answers
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

We're happy to inform you that this is possible!

Head over to the Invoices tab in your Square Dashboard, click on Recurring, and select the Recurring Series that your customer added a payment card on file to > select Edit. You can choose to repeat the invoice series for a specific number of days, weeks, months, or years.

From here, you will need to edit the Recurring Invoice Series and change the payment method from Do not charge a payment method on file to Charge XXXX ending in XXXX.

Read more about using a card on file with Square Invoices here.
If you're curious about learning more, here's a video that covers setting up recurring payments and Card on File: 

This post was edited by a moderator in October 2021 to include updated steps and screenshots.

View Best Answer >

Message 49 of 66

Best Answer

Head over to the Invoices tab in your Square Dashboard, click on Recurring, and select the Recurring Series that your customer added a payment card on file to > select Edit.

From here, you will need to edit the Recurring Invoice Series and change the payment method from Do not charge a payment method on file to Charge XXXX ending in XXXX.

Screen Shot 2021-10-14 at 9.53.21 AM.png

Learn more about using a card on file with Square Invoices here.

This post was edited by a moderator in October 2021 to include updated steps and screenshots.

View Best Answer >

Message 36 of 66

Best Answer

Hi @DocMeg 👋 Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Seller Community!

Just a quick note of clarification here, when a customer adds their card on file, this does not automatically enroll them in recurring payments over a set course of time. Once the card is saved on file, you can choose to manually process it at any time, or you can set-up recurring automatic payments by creating an Invoice Series.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any clarifying questions.

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 40 of 66
65 REPLIES 65

Is there a way that the seller can be notified when a customer selects "Save card on file"? As I had a client who did that for three or four months before letting me know. Seems like a notification to me that the client "has elected to save their card on file" would make that process much smoother and effective (and I'd certainly welcome it as the seller). 

Message 43 of 66

Hello @bradenzimmett

And welcome to our Seller Community, we're thrilled to have you as a part of the conversation! 

There's unfortunately no way to get notified as of right now. It would be a feature request. 

The Ideate boards would be the best place to post your Feature Request, since other sellers can add their voice to your post and our Product team has direct visibility of it and considers all requests when planning for future updates. 

Let me know if you have any questions, thank you!

Frances
Message 44 of 66

If we offer a payment plan for a customer invoice, how can we make sure the customer completes their payments on time? Will it charge their card automatically? How does it work?

Message 45 of 66
Alumni

@anoll - With Invoices, you're able to store and automatically charge a card on file on a cadence you and your customer agree on. 

This article should help you out 🙂

Justin
Message 46 of 66

Is the customer required to keep their card on file in order to utilize a payment schedule? 

Message 47 of 66
Alumni

Not necessarily - only if you require invoices to be debited automatically from the customer's card. If not, the invoice will just send per the cadence set for the recurring series and the customer will have to manually pay the invoice. 

@anoll

Justin
Message 48 of 66

Best Answer

Head over to the Invoices tab in your Square Dashboard, click on Recurring, and select the Recurring Series that your customer added a payment card on file to > select Edit. You can choose to repeat the invoice series for a specific number of days, weeks, months, or years.

From here, you will need to edit the Recurring Invoice Series and change the payment method from Do not charge a payment method on file to Charge XXXX ending in XXXX.

Read more about using a card on file with Square Invoices here.
If you're curious about learning more, here's a video that covers setting up recurring payments and Card on File: 

Message 49 of 66

Awesome - worked perfectly.  Thank you!

Message 50 of 66

Can you setup the recurring invoice to be on the first of each month?  Would that be setting it up as 1 and MONTHS?

Message 51 of 66
Admin

Hey @cub1960, welcome to the seller community!

Yes, you can set up an invoice to repeat monthly on the 1st. To do so, you'll want to make sure that you first select the charge date to be on the first of the month, then enter in "1" and "Months" for the Repeat Every setting:

Square_Dashboard.png

Hope this helps clear things up! Please let us know if you have any further questions. 🙂

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 52 of 66

Once I set up a recurring payment for a customer can I cancel the series of payments?   For example a customer wants to pay their yearly dues in 4 month installments so I set them up for auto payments.  They come to me in two months to pay the remaining balance off with a different payment type (check/cash).  How do I stop the recurring payments?

Message 53 of 66

Great question @Katrina1, you can cancel a recurring invoice at any time. You can do this from your Square Dashboard. Just click on the Invoices tab. Then select Recurring at the top of the screen. 

You will then see a list of your active invoices, just click on the one you wish to cancel. You will see the option to end the recurring series! 😀

Message 54 of 66
Beta Member

Is instant deposit still available if I set up recurring invoices? Also, what are the fees for charging a card on file via recurring invoices? 

Message 55 of 66
Alumni

Hey there @ElevatedWellnes - thanks for making your first post to the community. 😎

You can use Instant Deposit if your Square balance is above $50 (after fees) and can instantly deposit payments up to $2,500. 

Recurring and repeating payments using Card on File are priced at 3.5% + 15¢.

Message 56 of 66

We have lots of families we deal with and have like $15,000 dollars come in as we are a dance and tumbling studio.  Is square able to handle that amount of money on a recurring invoice?  We deal with at least 175 families and like 145 of them are on an Automatic Withdrawal program we partake with the bank. We are looking in changing payment process next year to square completely if Square can handle it.  Can you give me some insight on it?

Message 57 of 66

Is there an easy way to look at a customer's recurring payments setup and tell how many payments are left on the agreement?
Finding this shouldn't be hard ... but I've yet to discover the secret without resorting to checking the start date and manually adding (or subtracting) the invoices sent and paid.

The recurring payments feature has been very helpful when setting up my private clients who pay monthly or weekly. I wish each recurring invoice stated what number in the recurring sequence it was, or at least how many payments are remaining.

Message 58 of 66
Admin

Hello @katsturtz!

You can view the active recurring series from the Invoice tab of your online Dashboard:

1. Click Invoices > Recurring (top right).
  2. Click on an active series.
  3. Select View Invoices in Series (in blue) from the screen that opens on the right.

You'll then see a list of the invoices that have been sent to your customer and you also the status of each invoice, e.g. Paid / Overdue. If you've just set up the recurring series it will only show the first invoice (to be sent out at 10am in your timezone on the date selected) and the status will be Recurring.

I definitely agree that it would be useful to have a number that indicates exactly how many invoices are left in a series and I'll share that feedback with the Invoices team directly! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 59 of 66

I am having tourble with a client invoice. It states that thier card will be retained on file for reoccuring payments. I never set this up for them! The client was understaably upset. How do I get rid of this??

Message 60 of 66
Admin

Hi @Lisa444, I'm so sorry for the confusion and for the frustration this caused. It sounds like your client received a notification that their card was saved on file. For more information on how to edit this, have a look here: Save Your Payment Card with a Square Seller.

If you haven't already, I would suggest touching base with our Support Team directly—they'll be able to take a deeper dive and make sure that your client and this invoice are set up properly.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 61 of 66

Is there a limit on how many reoccurring invoices we can do?  I am wanting to do about 150 of them.  

Message 62 of 66
Alumni

Hey @EnergyDance18 - There is no limit to how many Invoices you can send as long as you are within the $50K transaction limit. In other words, each individual Invoice amount cannot exceed $50K.

If you have any further questions, let us know!

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 63 of 66