x

Beating a Dead Horse but it needs to be: Preauthorization

Beta Member

Beating a Dead Horse but it needs to be: Preauthorization

We need to be able to preauthorize credit cards when running a tab. Period.  We really enjoyed the low buy in and easy menu development and a couple of the other features, but a bar/restaurant needs to be able to run a tab and preauthorize a credit card.  I've gone back and looked at conversations about it and it appears that this has been a CONSTANT request by users that has gone ignored.

I'd like to know why it isn't available.

1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Beating a Dead Horse but it needs to be: Preauthorization

It IS FOR SURE COMING!! 🙂 they’re running beta testing on it now, so hang in there, I almost switched, glad I didn’t because I really do like the company but this definitely has been and issue that’s cost me hundreds of $$. Hopefully testing goes well and it rolls out soon 🙂

698 Comments

There seems to be a lot of "we will look into it" just to mollify us.

Add me to the long list requesting pre-authorization of credit cards. Thank you

I would love to have the hold feature as well!  We have a multi-unit rental property at the shore that people rent out by the week. I've had a renter or two get upset that it takes so long for the funds to show back on their card - especially if it's a debit card. Thanks!

We would love to use a pre-auth feature if you implement it. I am about to purchase the square stand but use a competitor to run cards for a deposit so I have to ask guests to swipe/chip their cards twice. I really hope Square can incorporate this feature soon.

And us as well...  one of the things we offer is guest accomodations for retreatants, and we also need the ability to preauth and verify before we accept a declined card...  and are unable to charge our deposit fee.  Thank you!

Alumni

Thanks @victoriainn for the post. Definitely see how the ability to put a hold on a card would be helpful for you, and we'll update you with news as we have it. 

Open ticket (bar tabs) at end of night. Patron has left, thinking their card will be charged, like at non-square bars.

Common practice for a bar patron wanting to "open a tab" in a bar vs. sit down restaurant is to hand a card to a server.  The server either holds card behind bar(BAD PRACTICE) or with some systems swipes the card(either a pre auth or a token is stored) and card is given back to patron.  At end of night, patron has either formerly closed the tab, signing for charges, etc... or the tab can be closed with any other open tabs administratively. In turn charging the clients card and typically charging 20% gratuity on the open tab.

While this isn't an every day occurrence for us, it is an issue to routinely have to deal with.  Our patrons regularly try and hand us their card to open ticket in Square.  We say with a smile "I don't need your card now, but WE DO need it later to close the ticket."  This can be costly for the business.

How can Square address this weakness?  We find Square AWESOME in every other way.

Cheers!

Admin

Hi @BSBRick, welcome to the seller community and thanks for bringing this up!

You're right, with Open Tickets, you can track your customers' bar tab with the tap of a button but the ability to process the payment without the card present isn't an option at this time. I will share your post with our Product Liaison team as we're constantly working to improve based on seller feedback.

We will certainly announce any changes or updates that will be helpful for this type of occurrence. Please keep in touch and let us know if anything else comes up. 🍻

Alumni

@soswax, thanks for your reply here - we'll keep you updated if and when anything changes! 

I second this request.