x
Alumni

What would you like to learn about payroll?

Hi Seller Community - I work with our Payroll team, and would love to know more about what questions you have about processing payroll (in general - not just related to our product). What would you like to learn payroll processes?

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 28
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

No problem! It definitely can be confusing but Square Payroll wants to make it as simple as possible. 

Your old provider will be preparing the 2016 W-2s for your employees.  

If your worried you will lose your reporting by closing out.  You can wait until next year to officially "close" the account with your old provider. 

Be sure to inform them that your last payroll with them will be December X, 2016 (with a December 2016 Pay Date!) Make sure you do not run any pay runs with them with a 2017 Pay Date.

This will ensure that you are closing out with them for the 2016 year and starting fresh with Square in 2017.

View Best Answer >

Message 11 of 28
27 REPLIES 27

How long has square payroll been around? How frequently are they adding states, waiting on Arkansas.

Message 2 of 28
Alumni

Square Payroll has been around for over a year. We are actively working on expanding into all 50 states.  If you visit the Payroll section of your dashboard and select your state, we will add you to the waitlist. You will be one of the first sellers notified about our launch in Arkansas!  

Message 3 of 28

How does Square Payroll handle and pay out credit card tips? I see information on how to manually enter cash tips, for reporting purposes, but cannot find any information about how or if tips collected by credit card are divided amongst employees. 

Message 4 of 28
Beta Member

RE: Credit Card Tip payouts

Simple answer...it doesn't.  We run a weekly cc tip pool and pay out in cash at the start of each week.  I manually enter the CC tip totals for each employee in the payroll "cash tips" field so that the appropriate taxes are deducted from their check for the amounts we paid out. 

Message 5 of 28

I am considering switching my payroll service from my business bank account to square. I would like some more information on the payroll package through square, how to transition from an existing payroll to square and what to do about end of year tax forms when half of the year was handled by a separate bank. 

Message 6 of 28
Alumni

Hi there - We are happy to assist you. Square Payroll will the provider who handles all of your end of year tax forms if you decide to switch over now.  During the sign up process, we'll collect all necessary information from this year and update our records. We will then be the provider sending W-2's to your employees at the end of the year. 

Please fill out the Contact Sales link and someone from our team will be with you shortly.  In the meantime, check out our support article on how to seamlessly transition to Square Payroll.  

Thank you!

The Square Payroll Team. 

Message 7 of 28

I would like to start using Square Payroll at the beginning of 2017. 

Rather than enter all of the old information in Square, do I just let the old payroll company close out 2016? 

...and, at the same time, start fresh with Square in 2017? 

I guess what I'm asking is:

If I start with Square on January 1, 2017, do close my old payroll account right away?

or

do I let them (the old company) file all of the 2016 paperwork (w-2s and such) and close the account when all of that is done?

Sorry if this is a dumb question 🙂

Thank you for your help.

Message 8 of 28
Alumni

Great question!

Best Time of Year to Switch Payroll Providers

Below we've outlined three simple steps to transition payroll providers at the start of a new year. Be sure to check with a professional for any details that might apply to your specific situation.

1. Set your first pay date of the new year.

To make things as clean as possible, be sure your last pay date of the year is with your old provider, and your first pay date of the year is with your new provider. For example, if you have a pay period of December 16, 2016, to December 31, 2016, with a pay date of January 5, 2017, that cycle should ideally be with your new provider since it will be reported on your 2017 W-2s (which your new provider will prepare). Your previous provider will prepare the 2016 W-2s.

Payroll taxes are based on when wages are paid, not when employees worked. Any wages you pay in January, regardless of the actual pay period, will be included in the new year's wages for tax purposes (and annual W-2s).

2. Close your payroll account with your previous payroll provider.

Before you close your account with your old provider, don’t forget to save copies of all employee information, payroll reports, and annual tax forms for your own records. Keep in mind that some payroll providers restrict access to this information after you close your account, so be sure to download or ask for this data ahead of canceling.

3. Have your business information ready.

Have the following information on hand when switching providers:

Message 9 of 28

Thank you!

I felt really awkward asking since I couldn't find anything [specifically] about this.

So.....

will you be doing the w-2s and other such reports for 2016 or will the old provider?....even if I close my account with them.

(I've never switched payroll companies before, so.....confused)

Thanks for being so helpful!

Oh! and...

I'm running my final payroll for 2016 today.  If I close my old account, (after I finish)  I won't have access to my 4th quarter (2016) report.   So I won't be able to download and save it.....It is things like this that are making me hesitate to close the old account right away.....

Message 10 of 28
Alumni

Best Answer

No problem! It definitely can be confusing but Square Payroll wants to make it as simple as possible. 

Your old provider will be preparing the 2016 W-2s for your employees.  

If your worried you will lose your reporting by closing out.  You can wait until next year to officially "close" the account with your old provider. 

Be sure to inform them that your last payroll with them will be December X, 2016 (with a December 2016 Pay Date!) Make sure you do not run any pay runs with them with a 2017 Pay Date.

This will ensure that you are closing out with them for the 2016 year and starting fresh with Square in 2017.

Message 11 of 28

Thank you very much!

Message 12 of 28
Alumni

To answer your question: Since I am starting fresh in a new year (and square will not be handling anything from 2016), which one should I choose?

If you are switching from another provider please select "Yes, I've paid payroll taxes before".  Then put in 0 for your employees year to date information.

Message 13 of 28

My employer uses Square and my email wasn't linking properly, so he created a new email to set me up but never shared the details with me. How can I gain access to view my payroll details? I am really frustrated that I cannot call and resolve this issue. HELP! 

Message 14 of 28
Square Community Moderator

@Wonka Sorry for the late reply here. I checked in on this for you and it looks like you were able to get in contact with our Support Team. That's the best route to take when it comes to account specific issues like this. 

If you have any other general questions let us know! 

Message 15 of 28

Hi Nicole, I am trying to Run Payroll after deleting 3 timecards, but they still appear on the Run screen. I did re-import after deleting the cards, but they are still coming into the Run process. They do not appear when I look at the employee section, but still in the Run Payroll step... is there a way to reset or clear them from the Run?

Thanks!

Message 16 of 28
Square

@StephenGorilly - Apologies for the delay! As for your question, once you import your timecards to Square Payroll, you still have the opportunity to edit the timecards before finalizing the run. In your case, you are able to enter in zero's for the employees that should not have any hours clocked in. 

To do this, click on the hours shown once you import your timecards. Once you click on the hours, you can then manually input the correct amount. 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 17 of 28

How do I allow my accountant to access all of the Payroll information online without allowing complete access to my Dashboard?

Message 18 of 28
Alumni

Hi @MizMae - Thank you for your great question.  Unfortunately, if you give access to your Dashboard to your accountant for Payroll, they will have access to the entire Dashboard.  I will take this great suggestion back to our product team and keep you updated should we change this feature in the near future!

Message 19 of 28

Hi Nicole,

Is there some way she can call and speak to someone at Square who can answer her questions then?

Thanks,

Mary Ellen

Message 20 of 28
Square

HI @MizMae. You would need to call in first to add her as an authorized user on the account first. If you do that, she'd be able to email in with her questions, as we're really only able to answer general Square Payroll questions over the phone. To add her as an authorized user, you'd need to go over our agreement, and then share these details about her: first and last name, birthday, relationship to business, and email address. 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 21 of 28