x

Square for Retail: Adding a store credit to a customer

Square for Retail: Adding a store credit to a customer

Has there been an update to the Square retail app or gonna be in the future to add a store credit to a customers profile on it? It would so be helpful.

1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: How to give customer store credit/voucher

Trying to give a customer a complementary $25 for hardships.  I have the Advanced Accounting so I can use gift cards.  I would like to use a 100% discount promo code to pay for this gift card but the only option is Paypal or Stripe.  How can I give a customer store credit??

206 Comments
Admin

Thanks for your post @DaoDeJing! I'll keep an eye out for suggestions and workarounds from other sellers for you! 

You can add my voice to the chorus requesting a customer credit feature. Issuing gift cards as a form of store credit is awkward, expensive for me, and results in frustrated customers should they lose the card.

This last point is very important. Whereas losing a gift card purchased with cash or received as a gift can be frustrating, I feel that is something most people can take in stride. In their mind, it's as if they lost some actual cash. That's not usually something they'd get mad at my business for.

In contrast, losing a gift card loaded with store credit makes a customer feel ripped off. Store credit is often given for refunds or trade-ins. In other words, that's money the customer has already given our business. We owe them this value. Asking the customer to be responsible for keeping track of this money doesn't come across as good customer service, and not being able to easily recover their credit seems scummy.

Cynic Time: Of course, adding customer credit accounts would reduce gift card sales, which I'm sure Square and/or eCard Systems aren't keen on. So something tells me this feature might not be seen as high priority. 😕

Did anyone find a solution other than store credit? I have one customer that only pays in cash and prepays for services. 

Beta Member

Any update on this??

I am also needing this for my shop!  Please square, add this option, especially for square for retail users!  Even an "on account" payment option would be great if we could add a balance for specific customers to use. 

Admin

@littlesprouts No updates yet I'm afraid. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this too, we're always looking for improvements from sellers! 👍

I have had my store open for one week and I am using the Square. I love the interface. Thank you very much. It is a great affordable POS system. I get very frustrated when my numbers dont match up, and when I cannot see things in black and white. Since my store is new I'm still working out the kinks on everything, but the store credit issue has messed up my books every day so far. I humbly request this bug be flagged for expedited correction. 

Thank you,

Ethan B

With the Square POS, is it possible to create store credit for customers in their profiles? 

Square Community Moderator

Hi @GreatEscape

I've moved your post over to this existing thread, as our Product Team is actively tracking this request. 

It's not something that's available at the moment, but many sellers use the "Refund to Gift Card" feature as a workaround. 

Hopefully we can get an update on this soon, as we haven't heard anything new as of right now. 

Did that work for you?

the gift card work around is too expensive and complicated and user unfriendly (although it can work). please we need customer accounts! everything is there except the credits and, what i believe should be standard, the ability for customers to sign on and view their account history and account balance.