x

Use of Cash Drawer Manage,ent

I have the cash management option on my Square dashboard online, but after searching the community for hours, I still am not sure how to use it. I don’t have a cash drawer hooked up to square, I was just going to use a standalone cash drawer. The cash drawer allows me to enter the opening cash amount but I can only do an End Drawer from there. I can enter cash payment transactions, so I thought the cash was added to or subtracted from the drawer when I put in a cash transaction or cash payment… But this doesn’t seem to be what happens. So how does this work? And believe me, I have read every piece of documentation on the cash drawer from Square… how does the cash drawer interface with cash payment transactions or does it?

Message 1 of 4
1 Best Answer

Best Answer

Thanks for your help Charlie..I did read that it doesn’t work on iPhone so I was using it on the Squareup.com online dashboard on my iPad. I’ll have to run more tests I guess, I’m trying to test all the setup needed for a company we’ll be opening soon and I’ll need to train reception on what to expect. Right now, I don’t know what to expect…lol…we’ll be doing inventory, retail sales and services with appointments so a lot going on. Getting all processes in one Square interface is a challenge so we got the Register but the equipment is at the shop located quite a distance from me so i can’t use it for testing just yet. I was hopeful the dashboard worked the same as the register.

One of the main problems that I do have is actually getting to the drawer from dashboard/online. The documentation says get the from Reports then Cash Drawer but all I get is a Cash Drawer report, no option to do anything like open it or close it.  But I CAN get to it from the Square Appointments app on my iPad…so is that correct? That’s a limitation? I’m going to test it more from the app and see if cash transactions affect the amount of cash in the drawer.  Thanks for your help!

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Super Seller

Hello @Sreu thanks for your question. You are correct, that the cash management feature should automatically deduct your cash sales from the cash drawer. Are you using the Square app on your phone...the Cash Mgmt on your phone app? If so, unfortunately Cash Management isn't available on the phone app; you have to use the Square POS on ipad or Register.

https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5326-square-point-of-sale-features-by-mobile-device

https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5152-cash-drawer-management

Message 2 of 4

Best Answer

Thanks for your help Charlie..I did read that it doesn’t work on iPhone so I was using it on the Squareup.com online dashboard on my iPad. I’ll have to run more tests I guess, I’m trying to test all the setup needed for a company we’ll be opening soon and I’ll need to train reception on what to expect. Right now, I don’t know what to expect…lol…we’ll be doing inventory, retail sales and services with appointments so a lot going on. Getting all processes in one Square interface is a challenge so we got the Register but the equipment is at the shop located quite a distance from me so i can’t use it for testing just yet. I was hopeful the dashboard worked the same as the register.

One of the main problems that I do have is actually getting to the drawer from dashboard/online. The documentation says get the from Reports then Cash Drawer but all I get is a Cash Drawer report, no option to do anything like open it or close it.  But I CAN get to it from the Square Appointments app on my iPad…so is that correct? That’s a limitation? I’m going to test it more from the app and see if cash transactions affect the amount of cash in the drawer.  Thanks for your help!

Message 3 of 4

I just did a short test from the Square Appointment app and it works great! So not sure why it’s not usable from the dashboard… I like the dashboard bc in my zest to find financial reports I was able to find dozens of them on the dashboard/online link but nothing on the any of the Square apps. I hate to add yet another place/device/link that we have to go to in order to accomplish our tasks. But for now my cash drawer crisis is fixed! Yay!

Message 4 of 4