x

Customer Display stuck on "applying update"

I got in this afternoon to discover this, which means it's been stuck since 3AM self-reboot. I've tried completely powering off, removing/replacing display, and unplugging. Currently on customer service line waiting over an hour. But I really don't want to do the dreaded "factory reboot" which they'll probably suggest. Anything else I can try?

Message 1 of 9
2 Best Answers
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi there @BasementFacts,

I'm sorry to hear you're running into these issues with your customer display! 

There are a few steps you can try before completing a full factory reset on your device. Check out these options below:

If docked:

1. Make sure that the display is docked completely and evenly on both sides. There should not be any gap between Register and the customer display, and you should hear the latch click on both the left and right sides of the customer display.
2. Undock and connect the customer display via USB cable. This can help us diagnose whether it is an issue with the docked position only.

If connected via USB cable:

1. Make sure that the USB cable is plugged in properly into both the customer display and the bottom of Register.
2. Unplug the customer display and dock the customer display directly to the Register. This can help us diagnose whether it is an issue with the undocked position only (it’s possible that there’s an issue with the cable that connects to two devices).
3. You can also reboot the system by pressing and holding the power on the bottom edge of Square Register for 10 seconds.

Let us know if the issue is still persisting on your end after trying the above.

Laurie
Community Moderator, Australia, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 9

Best Answer

Hi there, @BasementFacts - Thanks for reaching out to bring this to our attention. I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing this issue with your customer display.

Since the factory reset is the last piece of troubleshooting we can do, we'll need to get this escalated to our engineers for further review. Please reach out to our support team when you have the chance. They will be able to gather the details needed to create a support ticket for our engineers. And just as a reminder, you do have access to 24/7 phone support, since you own the Square Register 🙂

Thank you for understanding 🙏

Violet
Community Moderator, Square

View Best Answer >

Message 9 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Best Answer

Hi there @BasementFacts,

I'm sorry to hear you're running into these issues with your customer display! 

There are a few steps you can try before completing a full factory reset on your device. Check out these options below:

If docked:

1. Make sure that the display is docked completely and evenly on both sides. There should not be any gap between Register and the customer display, and you should hear the latch click on both the left and right sides of the customer display.
2. Undock and connect the customer display via USB cable. This can help us diagnose whether it is an issue with the docked position only.

If connected via USB cable:

1. Make sure that the USB cable is plugged in properly into both the customer display and the bottom of Register.
2. Unplug the customer display and dock the customer display directly to the Register. This can help us diagnose whether it is an issue with the undocked position only (it’s possible that there’s an issue with the cable that connects to two devices).
3. You can also reboot the system by pressing and holding the power on the bottom edge of Square Register for 10 seconds.

Let us know if the issue is still persisting on your end after trying the above.

Laurie
Community Moderator, Australia, Square
Message 2 of 9

Hi support team,

I have the “Applying Update” issue as well.

I completed:

• switch from USB to Docking
  • reboot with power button
  • unplug devices reboot
  • logged in and out

Currently getting “Customer Display disconnected” as well, in an orange notification.

Only option I’ve seen elsewhere is a factory reset. Please advise, and especially if there is a way to backup and restore if that is the next step.

Message 3 of 9

I called customer service and they instructed me to factory reset as expected. Sorry.

Message 4 of 9

Dang. Bad news for us. Thanks for the information!

Message 5 of 9

Did the factory reset correct the problem?

Message 6 of 9

In our case, yes.

Minor time loss but not a big deal. Most information (not some of the display settings) was saved to the account and restored after logging in. Per one of your 2022 posts, noting those helped:

“Also you may want to make note of some of your settings before doing the factory reset, like device code, printer-receipts-man or auto, display timeout, signature and receipt, and customer management.” @KC_Phil 

Message 7 of 9

I currently have the same issue, I did do a factory reset but nothing happened, still facing the same issue. Please advise

Message 8 of 9

Best Answer

Hi there, @BasementFacts - Thanks for reaching out to bring this to our attention. I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing this issue with your customer display.

Since the factory reset is the last piece of troubleshooting we can do, we'll need to get this escalated to our engineers for further review. Please reach out to our support team when you have the chance. They will be able to gather the details needed to create a support ticket for our engineers. And just as a reminder, you do have access to 24/7 phone support, since you own the Square Register 🙂

Thank you for understanding 🙏

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Message 9 of 9