x
Beta Member

No customer name on disputed charge receipt?

We have had two disputed charges in the last week or so, both disputes categorized as "customer has no knowledge" of the disputed transaction. Both are Visa transactions. The first charge receipt I viewed on Square had the customer's name on it, so I was able to match it up with the sign-in sheet our salon requests customers to fill in. But the 2nd charge receipt had no name on it, just the time, date and last four digits of the Visa card. So effectively the sign-in sheet is useless for showing the customer was present at our salon. Can somebody explain why no name was given on the 2nd receipt?

We have had only 4 disputed charges in the 2+ years we have been using Square, so 2 disputes in a week is worrisome. Neither customer tried contacting us first - they filed the chargeback with their bank and then Square notified us about it. 

Luckily our security cameras captured video of the customers checking out at the time of the disputed charge, so hopefully the employees might be able to identify the customer. 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Square Community Moderator

Welcome back to the Community @DaveH5050,

When it comes to customer information, it is only retained if the customer provides it or if they are already set up in your Customer Directory.

Another place you can look for more transaction information would be your Square Dashboard. After signing into the Dashboard > Transactions > Card Filter (enter the last four digits of the card).

Please let me know if I can assist you with anything else 

Message 2 of 8
Beta Member

No, entering the card number last 4 digits didn't show any more information. The disputed transaction has an orange exclamation point next to it, so easy to find.

What does "(contactless)" mean for the transaction - dipped?

From some research on the web, it seems that "chip" transactions are supposed to require the customer to prove fraud was committed, whereas the older "swipe" transactions require the merchant to prove valid. The only information that we as the merchant can see is the reason for the chargeback "Customer claimed goods or services were not received.". Since we are a nail salon, obviously somebody must have been attached to the nails for which we provided services. If the card was reported stolen, shouldn't the merchant be informed of that, as well as the date it was reported?

It seems that either Square or the customer's bank does not give any tools or information the merchant actually needs to respond to disputed charges. At a minimum, the name the card is registered to should be provided, so that we can refuse to accept any more charges from that particular customer. It is not our fault if the customer loses their card, or somebody borrows it. With the economy headed downwards, "friendly fraud" seems more likely to increase. 

Message 3 of 8

Hey @DaveH5050

A contactless transaction is when the customer uses a chip card or tap payment.

I can see how that can be frustrating, and I appreciate your feedback on the dispute process. In a transactional exchange, Square is the payment processor for the payment. After a dispute is filed, Square will receive notification of the billing dispute from the bank or credit card company. At that time, we’ll work with them to resolve the dispute as quickly as possible. If you have any follow-up questions about your dispute, please reply to the email you received from that team.

Here's an article that will walk you through payment disputes. 

Thanks for your patience. Let me know if you need anything else. 

Message 4 of 8
Beta Member

I thank you for your patience, and I read through the linked article on the dispute process. It says "They’re looking for any supporting evidence you may have about the transaction, like receipts, invoices, email correspondence, proof of delivery or photos." However, without the dispute customer's name, how are we supposed to provide any supporting evidence? Surely the customer's name is already printed on the credit card they used, so I fail to understand why their bank wouldn't include that information in their dispute notice, or why Square would not request same from their bank upon receipt.

We require customers to sign in on a daily sign-in sheet. In the previous disputed charge, prior to the current one, I was able to find where somebody signed in with that customer's name about an hour before the disputed charge occurred, which is about the amount of time it usually takes a customer between signing in and checking out. That, and our security camera video, is all the evidence we can provide. But without a name, the sign in sheet is useless.

The dispute process seems geared more towards an online business, rather than a traditional brick and mortar establishment like ours.

Message 5 of 8

We value your feedback. Our Disputes team might be able to provide more details about this situation. When you have a chance please reply to the email from them explaining this so they can better understand your business process.

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 6 of 8

Disputing customer name should be sent to the merchant. 

Message 7 of 8
Admin

Hi @Ohgolden, thanks for posting.

We cannot share the name of the customer disputing a charge or their personal contact information for security reasons. However, as noted by my colleagues above, you might be able to identify the customer using the payment information related to the chargeback. 

Let us know if you need any help or have any further questions - I'd be happy to assist. 

Message 8 of 8