x

Restaurant : Can a server be linked to the transaction?

Is there an option to have a selection of servers to link each transaction to them. 

As of now all the transactions are in order of time.

I would like to isolate transactions per server so it will make it easier to complete the end of day.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

I am new to Square and not using it in  a resturant but can you just create a zero dollar item and name it the server's name then attach that item to the bill?

Message 2 of 9
Square

That could work, but it might be a difficult to correlate the employee's sales by locating the transactions their "item" was added on. 

Are you using Employee Management, @Beamiesaug? This allows you track and view sales by employee, and has it's own dedicated report. Let me know if that's not what you're looking for. 

Message 3 of 9

We do use employee management & it really works great. We've been using Square for 3 years now with no issues or problems whatsoever. 

In the emails we receive of individual transactions they used to tell us which employee made the sale by name & now they do not, they just say that we made a sale. Is there any way to reactivate that feature? 

Message 4 of 9

What we have found is when a server opens a ticket, all printed receipts and order tickets will contain that servers name, no matter who adds an item to the ticket. Even if a different person does the check out, the original servers name will always appear on the printed receipt. Howerver, this is where things get weird. Server 1 opens a ticket and takes complete care of a table, prints the bill (it has his or her name on the bill). Howerver, server 2 ( or the hostest on duty) completes the checkout at the front station, his or her name becomes attached to the digital record of the transaction, but if you print a copy of the receipt, server 1's name will still appear on the printed ticket, but only the printed ticket. So, we do everying on printed receipt to make certain the correct server gets credit for his or her sales (and tips). If we relied on the Square app to tell us who go what tip it would be a total cluster f*#+.

Message 5 of 9
Square

Hmm, strange. Thanks for bringing this to my attention, @Macrule. I'm going to look into this a bit deeper and raise the issue with the appropriate team here. I'll reach out to you directly if I need additional details but will otherwise update here once I have more info. Thanks again! 

Message 6 of 9

We are a new restaurant to square and are having the same problem!  It also let's servers run reports without closing all their tables.  This is causing huge issues!

Message 7 of 9
Square Community Moderator

Hi @HeatherWells 

Back in November of 2016 we made a change to the Open Tickets and Employee Management features and how they interacted with each other. 

Sales and associated tips will be attributed to the employee that either creates the ticket or is transferred the ticket even if a manager or another employee closes it.

Servers have the ability to open tickets, but aren't required to close them out in the event that there's a server change. 

To credit a specific employee with a sale associated with an open ticket, all you need to do is transfer the open ticket to the employee using the transfer functionality now available within Square Register. 

Message 8 of 9

But if you transfer the ticket to a different server, doesn't that server now get all of the credit card tips for that ticket?  This is becoming a big problem for us as we are a gastropub where people often stay all evening due to our late shift music.  One bartender takes the early shift and another the late shift.  If we transfer to tickets to the late shift bartender gets all of the tips and if we don't the early shift bartender takes all of the tips.  We need tips to be allocated according to the employee who enters the transaction into Square.

Message 9 of 9