x

Can you use SKUs in the POS without a barcode scanner?

[The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Must you use a bar code reader to use SKU's? Can they be entered manually at the point of sale?]

We have a system that was set up incorrectly, and I need to retrofit as my staff has for years defaulted to "Cash" sales rather than enter an item.  This gives us no point-in-time inventory.  We do not have a bar code reader.  Is that essential for using SKU's or can they be entered by hand at point of sale instead of recording the price of the sale?  (SKU's would already be created within the system, so I am asking if they can be recognized by Square if entered manually at sale time).

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Admin

Hey @CMM203-

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community. 

No, you do not need a barcode scanner to utilize SKUs for organizing your items. In addition, yes, you can search for existing SKUs within the point of sale. 

Really sorry to hear that your sales have been entered as custom amount rather than an item added to the cart in checkout. Hopefully moving forward you'll be able to utilize the item tracking and SKU system. Let me know if you have any questions about this! 

Message 2 of 3
Super Seller

I know I am a little late into this discussion, but I found out if you use a Square stand with Ipad, you can use the camera through the Square app to read Barcodes.  This may save a little time instead of entering the item name or SKU of an item.  I posted a video on this in the forum somewhere of me doing this with a QR code.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 3 of 3