x

How to save on manual fees for recurring customers

Is there a way to save on the manual entry fee for recurring customers.  I have a number of customers that purchase$300 to $800 orders and pay by giving me their card number over the phone.  Of course, I then manually enter the card and rack up the higher fees.  Is there a way to reduce those fees?

Message 1 of 5
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi there, @zjdeere 👋 Thanks for reaching out and joining us here on the Seller Community! Happy to have you!

Good question! Have you taken a look into Recurring Invoices or Card on File? Both options will allow you to schedule recurring payments while editing time of sale, as well as purchase amount. Both of these options will incur the same fee as Manual Card Entry payments, as well.

Let me know if you have any clarifying questions! We are here to help!

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

Best Answer

Hi there, @zjdeere 👋 Thanks for reaching out and joining us here on the Seller Community! Happy to have you!

Good question! Have you taken a look into Recurring Invoices or Card on File? Both options will allow you to schedule recurring payments while editing time of sale, as well as purchase amount. Both of these options will incur the same fee as Manual Card Entry payments, as well.

Let me know if you have any clarifying questions! We are here to help!

Joe
Message 2 of 5
Beta Member

According to Square documentation, that is not the case. Payment via Card on File costs the same as Keyed.

https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/6109-fees-and-payments-faqs

"Square’s standard processing fee is 2.6% + 10¢ for contactless payments, swiped or inserted chip cards, and swiped magstripe cards. Payments that are manually keyed-in, processed using Card on File, or manually entered using Virtual Terminal have a 3.5% + 15¢ fee. Invoices cost 2.9% + 30¢ or 3.5% + 15¢ if processed using Card on File."

Message 3 of 5

Joe,

Can you clarify the charge on the Recurring Invoices? We use that feature and are currently charged 3.5%.

Another processor is offering 2.5% for the same type of transactions so want to clarify before switching.

Thanks, Jeff

Message 4 of 5

Hi @JeffG - thanks for reaching out! The fee associated with a Card in File charge is 3.5% + .15 - the same as manual card entry payments.

Joe
Message 5 of 5