x
Beta Member

Payment Hardware for Desktop (Virtual Terminal)

Would you consider developing a POS that works with a desktop computer, and hardware to accept payments that connect to the desktop? We currently have the Square Stand, but are wanting to upgrade to desktop computers at our checkout counter, and would love hardware that supports that setup. 

Message 1 of 15
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hi @mike109!

You can take card payments using either an Apple computer, Windows computer, or a Chromebook using a new feature called Virtual Terminal and the magstripe reader. This Product Update post has more information: Virtual Terminal: Swipe In-Person Payments From Your Computer.

This might not suit your business yet as there isn't a way to link a receipt printer or other hardware to a computer. Can you let us know why you'd prefer to use a desktop over a point of sale system? 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Admin

Best Answer

Hi @mike109!

You can take card payments using either an Apple computer, Windows computer, or a Chromebook using a new feature called Virtual Terminal and the magstripe reader. This Product Update post has more information: Virtual Terminal: Swipe In-Person Payments From Your Computer.

This might not suit your business yet as there isn't a way to link a receipt printer or other hardware to a computer. Can you let us know why you'd prefer to use a desktop over a point of sale system? 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 2 of 15
Beta Member

Thanks @Helen. We like the aesthetic of having desktops at our checkout counter over having the Square Stand. It also helps our sales associates be able to pull up various options for client and access other information online, as we are a home design store and often times are checking inventory with our vendors, finding other options with our vendors, etc. and will show clients these while they are in the store.

In terms of the Virtual Terminal, we would be looking for the full checkout experience that the iOS app offers on the desktop (similar to Vend) where we can itemize the transaction, apply discounts, etc.

It is good to know that you can use a magstripe reader with the desktop already though! I wasn't aware of that.

Thanks!

Mike

Message 3 of 15
Admin

Thanks @mike109! That's great feedback and content for the Virtual Terminal team, I really appreciate it. The feature is realtively new so unfortunately you can't add items or apply discounts using Virtual Terminal. We'll share any developments on that front here in the Community. A good place to stay tuned is the Product Updates board and you can subscribe to be notified of any new posts. 

Thanks again! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 4 of 15
Beta Member

Hi @Helen. I saw that you can now do itemized sales through Virtual Terminal, which is awesome! Thank you. I had a piece of feedback but I ended up leaving it on the announcement thread as that's probably a better place, so I'm editing this thread to remove it. Thanks!

Message 5 of 15
Beta Member

@Helen what rate is charged if you use a magstripe reader or input it manually?  Is there any plans to have the virtual terminal work with other reader like the dip/tap style?

Message 6 of 15
Admin

Thanks @mike109! Yep we've just started to roll out itemized sales for Virtual Terminal so we'll be updating posts in the Community to let everyone know! 

@cmusicshop The per transction fees are same as using the magstripe reader with any other device!

You can currently only use the magstripe reader with Virtual Terminal (on Safari and Chrome browsers) - if any other readers are supported in future you can bet we'll announce it! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 7 of 15

I am in a similar camp as Mike. I have my own POS system on a laptop and would like to integrate Square virtural terminal into my app. This I have done. However, I would also like to be able to use my Square readers. Is this possible?

Message 8 of 15

I want to use my computer with virtual terminal, I would like to know if I can connect/pair the chip/contactless reader via bluetooth. Does anyone know how to do this or why it is not an option?

Message 9 of 15
Alumni

Hey @theraevenshaven - Currently, payments via Virtual Terminal can only be taken using the Magstripe reader. The link in Helen's answer above provides more information on how to get set up.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 10 of 15

We are committed to Windows for our accounting, inventory and tracking systems. We really like Square but would LOVE to be able to have your POS system running everything on Windows. This seems like a no-brainer since so much business software and apps are Windows based. When will you have something other than the mag stripe reader that will work with Virtual Terminal?

Message 11 of 15
Beta Member

There seems to be no update to this issue. We are moving to a new Windows based program and would like to use the virtual terminal with a bluetooth card reader. 

Message 12 of 15
Square Community Moderator

That's not possible to do at this time @GeneFitz.

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 13 of 15

Are there plans to make square desktop friendly, It looks like this has been an issue for some time now. I use a desktop to do all of my business and I would like to us Square for the POS but without the ability to use a printer, tap and dip reader and cash drawer. I'm having to consider other options.

Message 14 of 15
Square Community Moderator

Hi @SRBogie,

Thanks for writing in and adding your voice to this request. It doesn't look like desktop based application for Square Point of Sale is coming up. We understand that you have to do what's best for your business, and will highlight this feature request with our team for consideration. 

Message 15 of 15