x

How do I get a tiled/grid view on my android tablet?

I used to have a nice grid layout on my android tablet with a large image of my item and the name below it. Now when I open the app on the tablet, I have a list of items with a small icon to the left of the name. I have gone into settings and chosen Image instead of Text but the only difference between the two is the addition of that small icon. It doesn't make it larger and it doesn't make a grid. I am trying to set it up for an event today and want to make it super easy for my volunteers to click on the correct item. 

I also am not able to rearrange the items in the list in any way shape or form. I wanted to order them with the most frequently used at the top without having to do stupid stuff with the names. I have tried on my laptop, android phone and android tablet to no avail. Help!

Message 1 of 16
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi @Hansje 

Sorry for the delayed response. Were you able to get this taken care of?

It sounds like you might be in the Item Library view rather than the Item Grid view. 

If you tap on on the numbered item page from the navigation bar at the bottom of the app screen, it should bring up the grid for you. 

Let me know if you still need help with this.

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

And I have tried rotating the device into landscape mode 😉

Message 2 of 16

Best Answer

Hi @Hansje 

Sorry for the delayed response. Were you able to get this taken care of?

It sounds like you might be in the Item Library view rather than the Item Grid view. 

If you tap on on the numbered item page from the navigation bar at the bottom of the app screen, it should bring up the grid for you. 

Let me know if you still need help with this.

Message 3 of 16

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: How to see the item pages on Android?

We use both IPads and Android tablets.

I can see the item pages on the IPads but not on the Android tablets.

How can we see them on Android?

Message 4 of 16
Admin

@ActivStars So sorry for the delay in this reply! Take a look at EJ's Best Answer here. There are also step-by-step instructions to set up your item grid (on both Android and iOS) in the Support Center.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 5 of 16

Thank you,

We were able to get it to work. It was a difference in the user settings that was causing the issues. 

Message 6 of 16

Hi @ActivStars!

Can you share what within the Settings changed this for you?

I have another seller asking about it and can't seem to figure out what within Settings allows you to change this. 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 7 of 16

no matter what I try, my new android tablet (android 9) just will not display a grid view of items.  

I get either the cash register number pad, or a long list. I need the grid 😞 

help? 

Message 8 of 16
Admin

Hi there @androo

Sorry to hear that.

Please take a look at EJ's Best Answer here. There are also step-by-step instructions to set up your item grid (on both Android and iOS) in the Support Center, which may be helpful.

If neither of these resources work, feel free to reply back to me. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 9 of 16

I've read that, and I have it running on a personal ipad and our business's previous android tablet - but now no grid, and no option to set one up. 

I tap Settings but there is no 'Item Appearance' option either.

IMG_1397.JPGIMG_1396.JPG

Message 10 of 16

or in portrait orientation

IMG_1398.JPG

Message 11 of 16

Hey @androo,

I had a case similar to yours with another seller and what I found out was that some Android tablet devices just do not have this setting unfortunately.

Ashley C
Message 12 of 16

Thanks - from what I can work out, Square's app thinks a 10.1" tablet is an Android phone - and they don't enable the grid view on Android phones. No fault of the tablet, just the app being weird. 

Message 13 of 16

Got it, @androo! Thanks for sharing what you've found. We will be sure to update you if any change is made to the grid on Android tablets in the future. 

Joe
Message 14 of 16

I wanted to change my items list to a tiled list.  Is this possible on an iphone or must my item library be a list format?

Message 15 of 16

Hey @CarmelBay,

I moved your post to an existing thread where there's discussion on the tiled/grid view.

This option would only be available on Android/iOS tablets or iPads at this time. You wouldn't be able to do this on your iPhone.

Ashley C
Message 16 of 16